Waterskiing Technique

JimC01

I have seen the videos and would consider this activity but seeking advice first.

Feet ON Brakes or Feet OFF Brakes? Seen advice both ways. Seems Feet OFF Brakes makes sense.

Any other advice or tips re technique out there?

Thanks Jim

Gust Kalatzes

Watch this video by Trent Palmer on how to water ski and why you probably shouldn’t.

Not trying to put a wet blanket on the fun but worth the watch.

Gust

tbienz

Good video. Excellent points about considering wind direction in the opposite way we usually seek to land as well as river current. I’m not sure I understand the distinction between waterskiing and any of multiple other at-risk practices we undertake as part of true back-country operations. I feel I’m probably more at risk of dying after engine failure on my way down the various Frank Church canyons heading to Root Ranch than if I loose the engine while waterskiing. Flying is inherently dangerous (one could say that about life); bush flying is more dangerous than normal flight. Waterskiing can be considered a tool if you are going to do sandbar ops, or just a fun thing to do like lots of the other stuff in my Husky. The plane is not a work tool, its function is sport and adventure (IMO). Waterskiing is just one more type of operation to master that (like most bush flying techniques) really have little intrinsic value or purpose but can be an end goal in their own right.

Ak Kurt

After evaluating the risk/reward of waterskiing, I have come to the conclusion its not for me. I came to this conclusion long ago before it was the cool thing to do. I have no question in my abilities to execute the maneuver, I have concerns about the variables I have no control over.

There are risks in all aspects of flying, in this case, for me, the reward or need does not outweigh the risk.

Kurt

BlackWater

Definitely good video, I certainly agree with Trent's viewpoints.
My decision making around flying certainly is based on managing risk and keeping multiple safe options open at all times. But also, I always thought that water skiing looked like a lot of fun!
I gave myself permission to water-ski one time last year on my birthday. My wife and I flew out to a gravel bar and she videoed from the shoreline as I made a number of passes. It was definitely fun and it felt quite safe to me (except for options in the event of an engine failure). I have not water skied other than that one time but I would be comfortable to do a water assisted landing to a gravel bar if the conditions were right.

belloypilot

The ‘fun’ part I get. Certainly subjective, but I get it. As a technique to get in to somewhere I wouldn’t otherwise be able to, I’m not so sure but I’m also a lot less experienced than many others on this site. Considering how a Husky performs, has anyone actually encountered an example where water skiing help you land in a spot where there was also also enough room to take off? Kind of dumb question I suppose. If yes to the former I guess it would have to be yes to the latter unless you are still there or got a helicopter ride home, but hopefully you get my point.

At the elevations, temperatures and loads I normally operate, 300’ ground roll is usually a pretty reliable estimate for both take off and landing without having to use any party tricks. 200’ on landing if I stick it without bouncing and get on the brakes. Can’t think of a spot I’ve encountered yet where I’d need to ski in to land and not have to walk home.

But Thomas nailed it. These things are all about fun. Doing stuff you can’t do with most other airplanes and seeing places you’d never otherwise get to see. Whatever floats your tires, I suppose.

My decision making around flying certainly is based on managing risk and keeping multiple safe options open at all times. But also, I always thought that water skiing looked like a lot of fun!
I gave myself permission to water-ski one time last year on my birthday. My wife and I flew out to a gravel bar and she videoed from the shoreline as I made a number of passes. It was definitely fun and it felt quite safe to me (except for options in the event of an engine failure). I have not water skied other than that one time but I would be comfortable to do a water assisted landing to a gravel bar if the conditions were right.

This is an awesome video! I have seen this on YouTube. Nice

brianP

very cool video! what is your aproximate speed ? and it looks like you have 1 notch of flaps in?

BlackWater

Thanks, I do not recall a specific speed, I expect it was about 60 miles per hour and yes a notch of flaps, that is a comfortable maneuvering configuration for me. There is definitely some induced drag with the wheels on the water so a little power is required to maintain speed and you would want to have sufficient speed for very positive elevator control. Also as you can see just before I come up on the gravel bar the mains start hopping because they are sinking lower in the water. I felt like I had good control over the deceleration (with throttle) and I was confident I would be on the gravel before I got too slow but I can see how someone could have a problem at that point (as Trent mentioned).
As I said, to me this maneuvers fun very rarely out weighs the risks. But also, generally speaking this community has chosen to engage in Backcountry off-Airport flying and that involves unique risk management, but that's what these planes are made for. I just hope that everyone engaging in using these fun planes as advertised is doing so with a great deal of training and practice and only takes on challenges that are appropriate to their experience level.
To me flight safety is all one big continuum line. There are so many factors and decisions that we do and do not have control over that move us more towards the safer or towards the more risky end of the line. The Husky is a certificated plane with relatively newer construction, that's a conscious choice for me as are so many other safety factors. I also began wearing a helmet almost a year ago and I wear it all the time (including when giving instruction) and yes, I have a helmet for my wife.

Last edited:

Tommy2

I agree with wearing helmets, my wife and I always wear them and also inflatable life vest. We are out over the ocean very often. I sank a C-180 into a river in the Arctic about three feet short of the waters edge, sank right in to about 6” of water. The reason being the bar was only 7-800’ long and if you use brakes you shower rocks everywhere to include the prop and tail. That would be a reason for skiing in landing. The take off is shorter when not braking on landings. Lol except when you have to fly down the river getting a hunting camp out and the river backs are 10-15’ high.

Ak Kurt

Thanks, I do not recall a specific speed, I expect it was about 60 miles per hour and yes a notch of flaps, that is a comfortable maneuvering configuration for me. There is definitely some induced drag with the wheels on the water so a little power is required to maintain speed and you would want to have sufficient speed for very positive elevator control. Also as you can see just before I come up on the gravel bar the mains start hopping because they are sinking lower in the water. I felt like I had good control over the deceleration (with throttle) and I was confident I would be on the gravel before I got too slow but I can see how someone could have a problem at that point (as Trent mentioned).
As I said, to me this maneuvers fun very rarely out weighs the risks. But also, generally speaking this community has chosen to engage in Backcountry off-Airport flying and that involves unique risk management, but that's what these planes are made for. I just hope that everyone engaging in using these fun planes as advertised is doing so with a great deal of training and practice and only takes on challenges that are appropriate to their experience level.
To me flight safety is all one big continuum line. There are so many factors and decisions that we do and do not have control over that move us more towards the safer or towards the more risky end of the line. The Husky is a certificated plane with relatively newer construction, that's a conscious choice for me as are so many other safety factors. I also began wearing a helmet almost a year ago and I wear it all the time (including when giving instruction) and yes, I have a helmet for my wife.
What helmet are you guys using?

Greg

This is not for the faint of heart, unless you have mastered your skills in all area's don't try this at home. Get professional training. Learning from a video is not professional training. Reading the water is very important, wind direction is very important. Get professional training.

MTV

This is not for the faint of heart, unless you have mastered your skills in all area's don't try this at home. Get professional training. Learning from a video is not professional training. Reading the water is very important, wind direction is very important. Get professional training.

And, where, perchance, does one get "Professional training" for waterskiing an aircraft? And, where do they get their insurance?

How about a list.....

MTV

tbienz

I think this has already been hashed out pretty fully. I don’t think one’s insurance would fail to cover damage that happened during waterskiing. It’s just another backcountry flying element. Not much different than landing on a glacier with skis or landing on a short mountain meadow that nobody had ever flown into just to see if you can. That’s what these planes are about. Waterskiing is not difficult at all and it’s probably less dangerous than flying over inhospitable terrain at night. Waterski assisted t/o and landing on sandbars has a lot more risk, and requires more skill and practice.

Snowbirdxx

I second Thomas Bienz´s opinion, but want to add that for waterskiiing I prefer Water skis. Although I did it with the Husky, but figured out no big use and fun.

Greg

And, where, perchance, does one get "Professional training" for waterskiing an aircraft? And, where do they get their insurance?

How about a list.....

MTV
Kevin Quinn Truckee CA, Insurance get covered for off field work, but I would be ready for a battle with them in event of a problem.