2021 COLUSA, CA O08 FLY-IN

David

Just got back from the 23rd annual Colusa fly-in. Wish I had taken pictures. Pancakes, sausages, eggs, drinks---all FREE for the pilots. 0700-1000 hrs., usually until 1300 hrs but 91 degrees currently and promised to be 112 degs F by noon. Lots of cool planes I have not seen in person such as Air Cam, a Pipistrel Virus (weird looking light sport composite on 31's), a Legend Cub on Monster Shocks Gear, etc. plus N3N in Coast Guard livery, Stearmans, Cubs, a gaggle of Champs, a flock of Longeze, Gyrocopters, + you name it. It is a real low key fly-in at a small Agricultural Town. All the taildraggers landed on the numbers and, of course, made the first taxiway. Never saw a single bad landing, except for mine. $10 bought 20 raffle tickets and there were, literally, hundreds of donated prizes. My favorite was a brand new John Deere Bicycle donated by the local tractor dealer---Which was won by a guy in a Kolb 40 hp open Firefly. He had to fly 1 &1/2 hours home with the bicycle strapped behind his seat and hanging out both sides. My wife would not let me leave until we saw him make it safely off the ground and on the way home. I was the only Husky there. The farthest distance flown was from Bishop, Ca. I may have been the shortest at 24 miles from my farm to Colusa. Flew home thru the Sutter Buttes (the smallest mountain range in the world--look it up on Google). My wife's friend owns a ranch in the center of the Buttes. Fun flying the canyons, even if you are thru them in a couple of minutes. If you are local, it is well worth the trip to fly thru the Buttes. Make sure it is calm or the turbulence and wind shear can do you in.
David

bumper

Ah, memories! I've flown what we called, "Sutter's Butt" a few times, and knew it to be the smallest mountain range. It sits in stark contrast to it's flat surrounds. But I fled CA almost 20 years ago, now living in Nevada, the most mountainous state in the lower 48, only outdone by Alaska.

CoupleofPilots

Just got back from the 23rd annual Colusa fly-in. Wish I had taken pictures. Pancakes, sausages, eggs, drinks---all FREE for the pilots. 0700-1000 hrs., usually until 1300 hrs but 91 degrees currently and promised to be 112 degs F by noon. Lots of cool planes I have not seen in person such as Air Cam, a Pipistrel Virus (weird looking light sport composite on 31's), a Legend Cub on Monster Shocks Gear, etc. plus N3N in Coast Guard livery, Stearmans, Cubs, a gaggle of Champs, a flock of Longeze, Gyrocopters, + you name it. It is a real low key fly-in at a small Agricultural Town. All the taildraggers landed on the numbers and, of course, made the first taxiway. Never saw a single bad landing, except for mine. $10 bought 20 raffle tickets and there were, literally, hundreds of donated prizes. My favorite was a brand new John Deere Bicycle donated by the local tractor dealer---Which was won by a guy in a Kolb 40 hp open Firefly. He had to fly 1 &1/2 hours home with the bicycle strapped behind his seat and hanging out both sides. My wife would not let me leave until we saw him make it safely off the ground and on the way home. I was the only Husky there. The farthest distance flown was from Bishop, Ca. I may have been the shortest at 24 miles from my farm to Colusa. Flew home thru the Sutter Buttes (the smallest mountain range in the world--look it up on Google). My wife's friend owns a ranch in the center of the Buttes. Fun flying the canyons, even if you are thru them in a couple of minutes. If you are local, it is well worth the trip to fly thru the Buttes. Make sure it is calm or the turbulence and wind shear can do you in.
David
Hey David, I recognize this is a couple years later - but are you still in the area? Drop in on us at 2CL1 some time!

Ken