Aircraft Tie-Downs

EZTie-down.com

Aircraft Tie-Downs, Strongest, Safest, Easiest portable protection for your aircraft.
See web site for additional information.

EZTiedown.com

Big-Screw-Logo-Low-resolution.jpg

3 Screws 3 Straps.png

DavePA11

Straps will fray and break in strong winds, and hooks can bounce off. Always go with climbing rope. Duckbill earth anchors (68DB1) in a pinch.

EZTie-down.com

Straps will fray and break in strong winds, and hooks can bounce off. Always go with climbing rope. Duckbill earth anchors (68DB1) in a pinch.
Dave, thank you for the constructive thoughts. I agree that a fresh rated polyester rope could be a good choice but many of us self included have poor knot skills or have had ropes and knots slip loose. Since you mentioned climbing ropes, did you know that climbing ropes are made from Nylon which is not the best choice for weathering in the sun. They also have a build in stretch up to 1/3 of their length to slow down a climbers fall. These 2 properties of climbing ropes may be great for climbers but may not be the best choice to secure aircraft. We have had our industrial rated polyester test straps out in the wind and elements for 4 years straight now and have not experienced any fraying or breakage. If you own a set of our polyester straps that fayed or failed please let us know so we may address any issue you've had. I suspect Harbor Freight or other similar cheap products may fray and fail and these may be what you are referring to. As for other products that use a single S Hook, it may be possible for them to "bounce off" should the straps become lose, most use a toothed spring held strap clamp which can often work loose. Our straps feature double opposing S-Hooks that don't "bounce off" and a double bar locking strap tensioner that keeps the strap secure, locked and properly tensioned. I'm curious what you use to attach the Duck Bill wire to the aircraft and if you have any issues with abrasion from the duck bill wire. Were always looking for ways to improve the safety of our products and protect aircraft. Please contact me directly if you own one of our products and have suggestions on how to improve it's safety. glidergreg@gmail.com

bumper

$186.00 USD for a set of 3 of these "Big-Screw EZ-Tie Down" anchors at Aircraft Spruce?? If you want this type of earth anchor, and don't mind sourcing the tie downs, you can get the same auger screws on Amazon 18" Aluminum Auger for $29 each, plus $19 shipping for 3. Note that I'm not recommending this type of anchor, as I haven't tested them, but cast aluminum is strong, with similar strength to cast iron.

Obviously aluminum is lighter than the steel augers I carry, but then steel is stronger. I carry three canvas tote bags to bury in loose sandy soil as they weigh next to nothing when empty and I can pack odds and ends in them for camping, tools etc. I also carry inexpensive common steel earth augers for tie downs that work well in many soil conditions - Steel earth anchors .

EZTie-down.com

Three aluminum screws $87.00 plus the needed 3 steel wire attachment loops $32.50. Decent set of straps $50.00-$70.00. Bag to carry it all $10.00. All adds up to about the same.

flyingjack

I bought EZTie-downs a couple of years ago. Also, bought a rachet end wrench and entire package is very strong and works well. I don't think there's much of a chance of breaking any part. Been out in hard winds=no issue. I do have to add a short strap when tarmac rings are too big; but, don't do that a lot.

Proteus

I've never really got on well with the screw types, I've found the three offset rods that you hammer into a small steel plate or aluminium puck work well for me. Combined with a climbing rope which is always handy.

johnaz

All depends on the holding ability of the ground they are screwed into? Think not great in sand of soft soils. And if soft at all and windy they would tend to work loose? Would not feel comfortable away from plane in winds.
John

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
I have this set and am very happy with it. If you have any soil of substance at all I can promise you will sleep well after screwing these anchors into the ground. They are solid and take some serious effort to bury to the hilt.

the straps are significantly better then anything you find at the hardware store.