Peat Bogs Make Bad Runways

belloypilot

21E888A7-2C52-46A6-A2CE-05848D045BD5.jpeg

It started out innocent enough. Sure looked like a river flat with a few wet, maybe even marshy spots, but some dry spots too. Big. Maybe a couple thousands acres near the headwaters of the Parsnip River in East Central British Columbia. About a 1 hour scenic mountain flight from my home base in Grande Prairie. With three other aircraft along for the trip we were exploring new-to-us mountainn passes. Two Cherokees and a 182. We came across this ‘meadow’ and I was tempted to take a closer look.

Two passes a couple feet off the ground found no obstacles or obvious hazards. One pass to roll the 31” bushwheels on showed a bit more drag than I was expecting, but not enough to alarm me (lesson learned on that one). Tires got wet but no spray, so I assumed no standing water. Another pass to look at the tracks and no water in those. I’m good go! Just got to pick the driest looking spot.

Last edited:

belloypilot

277290BF-2DB4-42B1-9B5D-6EB9D1D8C1C2.jpeg Full Flaps, fairly aggressive slip, nailed the spot almost perfect. Not quite full stall but wasn’t really trying for that. Wanted to keep the tail low but not a tailwheel first landing on an unknown surface. Touchdown and roll out was smooth. Too smooth. Somethings not quite right. As the ground speed bleeds off down to about walking speed or maybe a bit slower, the bottom falls out. Nose drops, tail comes up, all so gentle the inertial reels on the shoulder harness don’t even catch. Well s#$%, that’s a problem.

Fuel valve off, all power off, quick inventory of my inadvertent camping gear, no injuries other than severely bruised ego, so its time to egress and figure out what exactly is going on.

Oh, this is special. I’m on 3-4 feet (guestimate) of floating peat. In some places I can make the surface ripple like my 1978 water bed. Every step I sink half way to my knees and water fills my tracks up past my ankles. Nice. I’m an idiot. Lived in this country all my life and never dreamed I’d come across a huge floating peat bog in an alpine river valley, yet here I am. We get lots of these a bit further north where there is endless flat boreal forest over a layer of permafrost. Apparently some river valleys have them too. Nice.

I have three buddies circling above. Probably laughing their face off, but polite enough to inquire as to my health (as opposed to my sanity). I wave them off, tell them I’m fine with my handheld radio, InReach, and enough survival gear to wait out what I’m hoping will be no more than a couple hours for a helicopter ride from Prince George. They proceed on their way to arrange the lift.

I come across some hefty bear tracks, so I proceed to dig the cannon out of the tail baggage compartment. Turns out that’s easier when the tail is on the ground, in case you were wondering.

While the time ticks by I’m hopeful I have an intact propeller and hold out faint hope I might be able to fly it out of there if I can get the tail back down. Hey, I have nothing else to do so I can dream, right?

While my mind is wandering I think about my RF skis back at the hangar. Man, if I could those things under it now (and if I still have a prop) I know I could fly it out of here. Thinking about it is a good distraction as it’s nearly 3 hours before a couple of my buddies show up with in a helicopter with a section of rope so we can pull the tail down to terra aqua.

Last edited:

belloypilot

58BB01BE-BE64-4CF7-A343-43355EC14D74.jpeg

Well, that killed the dream of flying it out. I now have a souvenir of the adventure to grace the wall of the hangar. 2/3 of one MT prop blade. That grimace is about as close as I could get to a smile. That water puddle just below the prop blade is where the spinner sat for about 3 hours.

Now we have to get it out of here. 50 nm to Prince George. Maybe 20 nm to a grass strip. 5 nm to the closest logging road but certainly no practical land access to this spot. It’s not really ‘land’ after all.

I get back to Prince George around 6:00 PM, then hitch a ride in my buddy’s 182 back to Grande Prairie. All the while pondering how to extricate the dog without writing it off (another embarrassing side note - it’s under insured).

belloypilot

9FBB21D9-E66E-4A7F-9171-E4D7C65172B0.jpeg Monday was a day of frustrating non-response from the insurance folks, but at least we managed to pick a shop and a helicopter contractor that seemed to know what they were doing. Tuesday we got the green light to go for it, but scheduling conflicts meant the earliest we could try was Thursday. I’m getting nervous because there is big rain in the forecast and I don’t what to think what will happen if water levels rise.

The lift is complicated. They go in with two helicopters. One for people, tools and supplies, and they call in the bigger machine for the lift once they think they have it rigged and ready. As much as I want to be there, I decide to let them do their job without me. Besides, a couple hundred pounds of spectator doesn’t really fit with this helicopter payload math.

Early afternoon Thursday I get this photo and word it’s safely on the ground in Prince George at the shop that will do the repairs. I’m headed there to see it tomorrow (I hope). It sounds like little or no transportation damage, so there should be a good chance it will be back in the air in a month or so.

Ak Kurt

Oh my! What a blow to an otherwise fun day. You have my respect for coming on here and telling us all about it so we can learn from others. I will be curious to hear about the damage report and see some photos. Hopefully not too much damage if any. One suggestion if I may, I know this is probably the last thing on your mind right now but since you have to replace that prop, replace it with an MT Ultra, you will be pleased with the Ultra.

Good luck with what lays ahead, keep us posted.

Kurt

belloypilot

Actually, prop choice is top of mind right. Spoke with John at Flight Resource and learned the big advantages with the Ultra compared to the 205 are noise reduction and slightly better in cruise. I typically cruise at 50% power and noise isn’t an issue for me so he suggested sticking with what I had with the new blades with nickel leading edges. Other thoughts are welcome.

Ak Kurt

Well, that is a good point. I did not consider just replacing the blades. Probably cheaper than a new prop. I would go nickel for sure.

Kurt

belloypilot

I still might go with a new one but I’d so it would be another 205. Considering it’s almost due for an overhaul there isn’t much price difference. Blades alone are > 50% of a new prop.

Ak Kurt

I typically cruise between 1,850 and 1,950 rpm and I LOVE the Ultra! I have had all 3 MT props over the years and the Ultra is my favorite followed by the original 2 blade MT and then the 3 blade MT. The Ultra cruises at low RPM just as good if not better than the prop you have in my experience. The Ultra would be my choice if going new.

Kurt

Ak Kurt

I posted this under the thread "My impressions of the MT Ultra". I have posted it here incase you did not see it.

Oct 18, 2017#1
As many of you know I had a 3 blade MT on my 180hp 2012 Husky and decided to try the New MT Ultra. After about 50 hours on it I thought I would share my impressions. I did not want to say too much about it too soon without giving it a fair evaluation. I will comment and compare it with the two metal Hartzell's and the other MT props certified and available on the Husky, I have experience with all these props however I do not have any experience with the new composite Hartzell prop itself and only limited experience with the 80 inch metal Hartzell.

My overall objective was to increase the cruise speed over the 3 blade and hopefully gain some climb rate but for the most part, increase cruise speed was the main objective.

I was very happy with the original 2 blade MT 210cm prop I put on my first Husky I owned in 2004, I was one of the first to put this prop on a Husky and I was glad I did, it was far and above better than the original 76 inch metal Hartzell. This original MT prop has been out long enough and talked about in sufficient depth and detail that I do not need to go over it again here except to say it is a fantastic prop. When I bought my second Husky, a 2012 180hp A1-C, 4 years ago it came with the 3 blade MT. The airplane was an inventory airplane the dealer had in stock so there was no ordering it with the 2 blade MT, also at the time the 2 blade original prop was limited to 2,600 RPM due to noise certification issues with the higher gross weight of the 2,250 pound gross weight of the Husky A1-C, I was not willing to give up 100 RPM, no way. ( I think I have this right, correct me if I am wrong)

In the back of my mind I was wondering how this 3 blade MT was going to perform in comparison to the original 2 blade I had on my previous Husky, my initial thought was it will probably be smoother, pull a bit harder on take off, cruise a bit slower and have more drag at idle. All my initial assumptions were pretty much spot on except it seemed to pull about the same on take off as the original 2 blade MT prop. It took a while to come to these conclusions and actually at times I thought it was a bit faster but then again at times I thought it was a bit slower. This was all pretty much seat of the pants, IAS on the airspeed indicator at various temperatures and so on, not very scientific to say the least. It wasn't until my buddy bought a 2007 Husky with a 2 blade original 210cm MT prop did it really sink in as to the speed difference between the 2 props. He was on 29 inch Alaska Bushwheels and I was on 8:50's and he was only one inch of manifold pressure slower than me. Wow, that was very telling for me. I also asked many of you who had experience with the 3 blade and 2 blade original and 2 blade Ultra your opinions in the past and all of you pretty much echoed what I discovered. 3 blade is slower than both of the 2 blade MT's. Ok, so Im convinced now after bending everyones ear. I did not want to just give it an expensive try without some good reports from others. I know, Larry and John say if you don't like it then return it for a refund but I did not want to go thru that process if at all possible.

I called Larry at Flight Resource, the holder of the STC's for the MT props on the Husky and many other airplanes. I have dealt with Larry in the past when I put the original MT prop on my Husky in 2004 and that was a very nice experience so I knew this time would be no different and it was fantastic. Larry had one in stock so I bought it. AS luck or tragedy would have it, I had to attend a funeral real close to where the prop was located. I called Larry and asked him if I could meet him the next day and pick it up, Larry was out of town but his partner in the company John dropped what he was doing on a Sunday morning and met me at their facility so I could pick the prop on my way back home! Thanks John!

I installed the prop (very easy) and flew the airplane, initial impression were very favorable. I wanted to fly next to my buddy's Husky on 29's for a comparison. Well, he had a failure with one of his tires and put a set of 8:50's on it. I was disappointed I was not going to be able to do a side by side comparison of how it was set up when we flew side by side with the 3 blade. Well, if I had the 3 blade prop on now Im sure he would pass me with both of us having 8:50's, only seems logical, right? I was pleased when at many different power settings I passed him! By how much? Not sure exactly but it was by a noticeable amount.

Flight Resource claims about 4-7 mph faster than the 3 blade MT and I can honestly say that is about right. I also noticed an improvement in climb, a couple hundred feet per minute or so, not scientifically measured but seat of the pants and VSI indications. So, all in all I am very pleased with the switch.

Some differences other than speed between the New 2 blade Ultra and the 3 blade.
3 blade smoother but not by much, both incredibly smooth, 2 blade lighter, 3 blade has much more drag at idle which makes it better for descent control and spot landing, the 3 blade makes the Husky come down like a tool box when throttle closed! 3 blade may be a better choice for Idaho back country for the wider descent envelope, they pull on take off about the same, 2 blade better if you fly over water and need to extend glide in the event of an engine failure.

Overall my objective was met with the switch to the 2 blade Ultra.

So, what should you do you ask? Should you switch? Well, tough call since it involves money. If you have either of the metal Hartzell's I would say definitely switch! The 80 inch metal Hartzell performs ok but it is HEAVY and having a lot of friends that have been stung by the Hartzell hub AD's in the past makes me leery of them. I considered the new Hartzell composite but since from what I gather the performance between it and the MT Ultra are close and with the Hartzell AD's and how they treated my friends who were affected I chose the MT, I have always had great success with the MT. Now if you have the original 2 blade MT that makes the decision to switch to the Ultra more difficult. I think the Ultra is a better prop all the way around than the original 2 blade MT but they are close enough that only you could decide if the money difference is worth it to you. If you are ordering a new Husky I would definitely order it with the new 2 blade MT Ultra, no question. As far as switching from the 3 blade MT to the 2 blade MT Ultra, well, I think you know where I stand on that, I took a leap and did it and for me it was well worth it.

All 3 MT props are fantastic props, they do not have ANY RPM restrictions that the metal Hartzell's have but for me, the Ultra is my choice, great prop.

Kurt Wien

belloypilot

Thanks, Kurt. I was following that thread earlier. Interesting. Right now I'm still leaning toward a new 205 assuming take-off and climb performance will be at least as good as the ultra. That's based on my understanding of the ultra being a bit more optimized for cruise and reduced noise, which It take to mean it gives up at least a bit in takeoff. I would also think the wider chord 205 would provide more effective aerodynamic braking at idle. Not as much as a 3-blade, but probably better that the ultra. At least that's my guess. In any case, for the flying I do it seems to me the 205 is still the best one.

Mike

Ak Kurt

I think your assumptions may be incorrect. From what I have experienced the Ultra beats the 205 in all areas including take off and climb. I can not think of any reason to chose the 205 over the Ultra unless it was substantially cheaper. The Ultra has plenty of aerodynamic breaking. The 3 blade has the best aerodynamic breaking of all of them but it also has the most drag that is why its the slowest in cruise. The Ultra is optimized for the Husky, the 205 is a little too much prop for the Husky, it works good but the Ultra works better. Those are my observations having owned all 3 MT props.

Kurt

belloypilot

Thanks. I’ll keep looking into it. I think I have to the end of the week to decide without delaying the repair. I don’t think there is much price difference but I should have a quote some time tomorrow and can compare.

johnaz

I think your assumptions may be incorrect. From what I have experienced the Ultra beats the 205 in all areas including take off and climb. I can not think of any reason to chose the 205 over the Ultra unless it was substantially cheaper. The Ultra has plenty of aerodynamic breaking. The 3 blade has the best aerodynamic breaking of all of them but it also has the most drag that is why its the slowest in cruise. The Ultra is optimized for the Husky, the 205 is a little too much prop for the Husky, it works good but the Ultra works better. Those are my observations having owned all 3 MT props.

Kurt
Kurt,
I have both he Hartzell Trailblazer and the Ultra, cannot tell any difference in them in performance, but do like the Trailblazer better for the cool look, and it seems to have a denser feel. Ultra is a bit flexy to me. Very toothpick looking in comparison.
Ultra is about 2 lbs lighter. Both are good, just seems Trailblazer is the prop of choice for most, factory is using them it seems on all new Husky's. Not that that is a final answer.
John

dogday

I purchased a Trailblazer for my Husky because it was superior to the MTs that were being sold at the time; however, you would have never known this if you believed Flight Resources exaggerated claims at the time. It sounds like MT has caught up with the Hartzel Trailblazer with their Ultra. I was not motivated by the "cool look" that John described above but I have been told by a few people that the Trailblazer looks good. In addition to Aviat having a preference for Trailblazers on the new Husky models so do the folks at Cubcrafters. I am happy with my decision to purchase a Trailblazer.

belloypilot

I made the decision to go with the Ultra. Even if performance is a wash, I like the idea of it being smoother so I’m looking forward to flying it. The word today is the engine shop is a bit backed up so it could be 3-4 weeks there, so unlikely to be flying it before September.