Root Ranch Fly In 2023 - June 22, 23 and 24!

Paul Collins

2023 Root Ranch Husky Fly-In is scheduled for June 22nd, 23rd, and 24th (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday).
We are going to have the usual flying and fun! On Saturday, June 24th in the morning, we will have the WHOA interview/video created by Billy Winburn of Communityaviation.com. This year we will be interviewing Amy Hoover and Dick Williams - the authors of Mountain, Canyon, and BAckcountry Flying.
So, put this on your calendar!
Meanwhile, fly safely!!
Paul Collins
N337DP

Utah-Jay

It would be worth it just to hear Amy and Dick. I did my backcountry training with Dick. I might try to join this in my Bearhawk if possible.

BTW, if you have not read Amy and Dick’s book, you should for sure

Paul Collins

Root Ranch Husky Fly In - One month away!
Yes, it is that time again.
The Root Ranch Husky Fly in - at the Root Ranch in the Frank Church Wilderness - is only one month away.
The plan is the following;

THURSDAY JUNE 22ND - Fly into the Root Ranch - (
) - and set up your tent, or put your "stuff" in a cabin if you reserve a bed. (To do this call the Flying Resort Ranches office at 208-756-6295). Then go out and fly around. Dinner is at around 6pm. The Root Ranch is that "unconfirmed" airport between the Cold Meadows and Chamberlain airstrips.
Check out the Flying Resort Ranches at WWW.FlyingResortRanches.Com .

FRIDAY JUNE 23RD - We start with a free breakfast at the Root Ranch Lodge with a short presentation at 8:00 am.
This is the day to fly around the Frank Church, have a lot of fun, and create some new stories you can embellish over the next year. That night we will have a presentation from some aviation organizations such as the RAF, the Idaho Aviation Foundation, and the Idaho Aviation Association. Our "big talk" is the next day!
Dinner is at about 6pm again.

SATURDAY JUNE 24TH - In the morning we are awarded with an interview of Amy Hoover and Dick Williams who wrote Mountain, Canyon and Backcountry Flying !! This will start at 10am and finish around noon on the 24th. It will be a real treat for all of us. They are being supported by the WHOA organization (Wilderness History and Open Access).
After the talk and lunch, off we go to our next "airport of call" for more adventures.

I hope to see you all again!!
Post a note or call if you have questions.
Paul Collins
N337DP
208-861-8257

Paul Collins

By the way, don't land as high and fast as this person!
I just put that there for folks to see the layout. If anyone wants to shoot a better video, go for it!!
Thanks,
Paul Collins
N337DP

Cubrath

I’m out in the Black Hills (KSPF) would like to go. If anyone comes from the east and wants to hook up let me know. I have extra hangar space in SPF.

Paul Collins

Well, this will be a great set of days to come out and visit "M.F.N." Idaho! Hope to see you out here.
Paul Collins
N337DO

Clifford

Hi Paul!
Robin and I are planning on attending and we're really excited.
BTW we were ready and packed to come last year and literally came down with Covid the night before launching. We were really bummed for having to miss it.

jimhusky

I am sorry that I will not be able to make it this year. I hate to miss this GREAT Husky Pilots event. Paul, thank you for all you do for your fellow Husky pilots.

If you are interested in seeing an “upstream“ (not the preferred approach) landing at Root Ranch it can be found by searching YouTube for “Jim’s Husky Flying” channel and the video named: “Landing Upstream Root Ranch Private #11” The channel also has videos of landing at 10 other strips in the Frank Church Wilderness.

Jim Jordan
N73GT

jkalus

Friday is a work day, but I took the day off. However it’s not looking so good with regard to weather between Afton and the Root. Was planning on a Friday afternoon flight in.

Paul Collins

Just got back from a Middle Fork/Main Salmon River kayak trip so sorry I did not answer earlier questions. (We got our butts kicked by high water!)
To me it looks like Friday morning earlier will be good, and an afternoon rain will probably occur. If you can get in earlier, that might work. If not, there is always McCall to hang in for a while. Nice town.
I'm planning to head in tomorrow mid-morning or so. You can email me and I should be able to let you know.
Also, you can look at the webcams/weather station at WWW.Eye-N-Sky.Com
They show a temp of 32 and low wispy morning clouds that should/will disperse.
As for other options, you can also dip down to the Flying B and even stay there for the night if you need to. Tell them you are my guest.

Thanks for the videos Jim! ( Landing Upstream Root Ranch Private #11 ) Great landing!! We now have two new windsocks up so you can assess the wind easier. One on each end of the strip designed to work 180 degrees apart.

Paul Collins
N337DP

Paul Collins

The Fly In went great! Friday weather was a bit sketchy, but it didn't stop the Huskies from flying. We made it down to the "B" for a tour.
Right now I am planning for next year's Root Ranch Husky Fly-In for June 27th, 28th and 29th 2024- Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Also, I am looking at scheduling a "repair" of the hot spring a few miles up warm springs creek from the Flying B for June 25th, 26th and leaving for the Root on the 27th - Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. More on this later.
Thanks for making this another great event!
Paul Collins
N337DP

Paul Collins

These are pictures of hiking up Roots Knob, being taken to the Flying B from the airport, Huskies at the Root, and the speakers for the Saturday interview.
Next year we will be interviewing Bob Hoff on the Saturday.
Enjoy!
Paul Collins
N337DP