Jacks/tire change

tbienz

OK...I'll bite. Bumper is complaining that there's nothing on the forum to discuss, so if anybody's bored, perhaps you could assist me with my upcoming project of putting these somewhat ridiculously large looking AK Bushwheels on the Husky.

I think I've read the old posts about hoists, spreader bars and "racing jacks." My Husky doesn't have lift rings and I was hoping to avoid taking apart the cowling and using an engine jack to lift the plane by its engine mount every time I want to swap or rotate the tires. The "racing jack" isn't anything special, it looks just like the large floor jack I use to service my cars/heavy equipment.

The problem I see is that the lower end of my gear leg ('94 A-1) sweeps down toward the wheel at an angle such that the lifting plate of most jacks would have a tendency to slide off as you start to lift. My tentative plan is to use the large floor jack, tie the tire to the lifting plate to keep it from sliding inward and jack up the leg...once the side is high enough to make the gear leg sweep relatively parallel to the surface of the lifing plate I'll untie the tire, change it, re-tie the tire and let it down.

How about supporting the tail while chaning the rear tire/wheel/spring? Just lift it by hand and set it down on a padded sawhorse near the handles projecting from the longerons? (that's probably spelled wrong).

How about a long 2x4 sitting on top of the lift plate of the jack pushing up on the bottom of the tie down ring with padding and a depression cut in end of the piece of wood to keep it from slipping off and driving up through the wing?

There must be a reasonable work-around for this issue???

--Thomas

Snowbirdxx

Some sounds like recipies for desaster. Why dont you make a Jack thats attached to the folat fitting with a bolt, so it can not slide away and do damage.

Then jack up one side, maybe with little fuel in the tanks, then do the other side?

Just a suggestion, I fly on 850s and are happy with them...

bumper

What TomD said.

Or, you might instead pull down on the opposite wing. Use a soft rope and go through the tie down ring and then around the upper end of the strut. You will need either a large weight or suitable anchor (I once used a trailer hitch IIRC to do this when installing the SGS).

Then either use a come-along or a couple of ratchet straps to pull the wind down.

I have used 2 X 4 to *support* a wing while adjusting the lift strut. Worried the whole dang time it would find a way to poke through the wing! No way I'd rig something like that to lift a wheel off the ground - - least wise not before spending some serious time on my prayer mat facing east :rolleyes:

Consider installing lift rings. That and a hoist sure makes life easy!

bumper

Meadowlark

I finally found a set of wheels........ So, I mounted up my original 8.50's and will install them for test flights. The only Husky I ever flew with 8.50's was the very first demonstrator many years ago.

I think I will use the lifting ring on the engine as my "A" frame is not high enough to lift from the float lift rings. Barring that, I will have to bring the service truck into the hangar to use the crane on it to lift the Husky.

J/C GTF

tbienz

I like the float attach point idea. I have been using the 850's and I like them. My plan is to keep the 850's for winter and get some skis, but use the AKB's in the summer. I've been landing at some local lakes (beaches) and the mains dig in a bit while the tail wheel just digs a trench. I'd like to try some of the local sand dunes that are farther away and near some good fishing but the ground is much softer than the beach...along with some sagebrush/scrub-fields I've seen near some pretty good size herds of elk I've been videotaping...thus the larger tire interest. I am astounded that there is not a simple solution for this issue. How do mechanics out in various airports manage aircraft such as our Huskys when someone gets a flat? I'm doubful that they call in a crane?!! My mechanic who will help me with the project seems unconcerned...I asked him what the plan was and he said "oh I have a screw jack and some various bars for the axle etc., it should be no problem." I'll go inspect that float attach point.

--Thomas

mritter

I bought and have used this Bogert Lil Lifter 3 jack. I won't say it's the most stable thing ever but it works for 'in the hangar' changes. Wouldn't want to carry it around for backcountry flats or such.

Attachments

• 11-06949.jpg
    11-06949.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 95

Hottshot

I bought and have used this Bogert Lil Lifter 3 jack. I won't say it's the most stable thing ever but it works for 'in the hangar' changes. Wouldn't want to carry it around for backcountry flats or such.

We had one of those in the "Early" model ..... Too thin wall tube and it bent:eek:

bumper

I think I will use the lifting ring on the engine as my "A" frame is not high enough to lift from the float lift rings.

J/C GTF

J/C,

Use some nylon strap or sling around each side of the engine mount near the upper firewall attach - this is always a safe spot. Do not use the engine lift ring, as it is designed to lift only the engine weight. Sure, you might get away with it, but any bad things that may happen at the top of that thin aluminum engine case would instantly incur and expense exceeded only by our national debt.

bumper

Ksmith

Thomas B.
The Bogart Jack is the one I bought and welded plate on the bottom in an attempt to increase the size of the footprint, trying to make it more stable... worked some but not a lot. The main issue is on an epoxy hanger floor it wants to slide out from under the axle, this gets worse as you lift it higher (on the first wheel with the shorter 850's on). Once you have one of your new beautiful AKB 31's mounted and go to the other side its not as bad. It seemed to work better on asphalt but at this time of year its not enjoyable to be working outside.

Thats why we started picking it up by the engine mounts.

If you want to try the Bogart jack I'll send it up to you, now that I have lifting eyes I have no use for it. OR you could meet me at Fontenelle for a hand off.

Larson

I use lifting rings- with spreader bar.. Easy and safe to change wheels and floats..
Always worries about jack slipping out during a lift!!

Snowbirdxx

Lars,

if you go to amphib floats or wheels, without help, which normally slows down, how long does it take after initial installation is done?

greetings

Meadowlark

Well, it appears that my "A" frame hoist is not tall enough to lift the engine anyway. Many times I have pulled down on the tie down rings to lift the opposite side, but going from 29" squishy tires to 8.50's could create a problem with that operation. Besides, I have never liked putting that much stress on the wing. I have looked at my hangar roof structure and it may be possible, but beyond my "engineering" abilities to design and install a roof hoist.

J/C GTF

Larson

Tom

This depends- whether a weekday or weekend and/or sunny or raining!! ...

Once initial install is done, it is very straight forward. Half a day will do it, allow a day- to make it social and fun!
It makes it easy to also have connectors, plugs/caps and gear safety cables available.

It was a little 'nerve racking' the first time the husky was lifted up high enough, with both gear legs off and rolling the floats into position to attach- i really did not want it to fall (chain snap, break or similar).

Enjoying the fun now..

Chz Lars..

The only flat tire I got with the 31" AKB's was easily resolved in the field. When the tire goes flat the wing on that side is WAY lower than the full side, so the airplane is leaning a whole bunch. I used two cargo tie down straps around a stump as the tie down side, then used my half inch white nylon rope doubled up, to haul down on the tie down ring on the opposite side of the flat tire. We got the flat tire side completely ready to slide off the axle and my son lifted under the flat side strut attach as I hoisted down on the full side. As soon as the tire was off the ground, he removed it, then we lowered the axle onto a big flat boulder we rolled under the axle.

The repair to the tire took a couple hours, mostly due to the number of breaks we took and the number of strokes from our bicycle tire pump.

All in all, the time when the airplane is in jeopardy ie...no wheel on the axle, and hanging in the air supported by straps and ropes was maybe two minutes. We were a little nervous, but very careful. For two people it was easy. Alone it would be harder, but still do-able, just without some of the backup. A come-along would be the cat's meow if you were alone. But I find that two of the yellow rachet straps in concert work almost as well.

I have used these twice for pulling a wing down to lift the other side. Maybe not the best way, but it works and it does help alot if you get something under the side you are trying to lift, to help lever upwards...fence posts, tree limbs etc...are all good.

Steve.

tbienz

I considered all comments and spoke with folks at Alaska Bushwheels as well as with Mr. Bogert and some other A&P's. Thought about fabricating a lift point at the float attach, but I'm not the engineer that Tom D is :mad:...Bogert seems a reputable company and reportedly has had very few complaints about its jack systems. AK Bushwheels (I didn't hear back from Wup, but from others at the company) supposedly uses the jacks routinely if the plane they are working on doesn't have lift rings).

So I decided to order the latest iteration of the jack made for the Husky and got it yesterday (I figured it wasn't very expensive and it seems they have been improving it over time). I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly, was very stable and had no problems lifting the Husky's 850 tire about 10 inches off the ground at which point I stopped and put it back down. Other tires chocked with heavy blocks made for commercial airliners, on a cement hangar floor.

Perhaps the design has changed, this unit is very heavy, quite long, and cradled the undersurface of the axle perfectly. I think the 31's might require me to let it down off the jack onto a piece of wood because the tire is so much wider than an 850 and I start the process by moving the jack out toward the tire until it touches the sidewall...but all in all, this particular jack seems to work perfectly (for those without lift rings).

bumper

Thomas,

Obviously you are not going to carry that jack along for emergency repairs in the field, for that I carry a couple of ratchet straps and tie downs to haul down on the other wing.

For in hangar use, the 2x4 spreader idea lifted by a floor jack seems to work well. If I didn't have an overhead 1-ton chain hoist, I might try this:

Get a pipe that will fit inside the axle, a hydraulic jack (floor jack would work well) and a jack stand. Insert pipe in axle and place jack at least 10 inches out on pipe, lift wheel off ground. Remove axle nut and slide it and the wheel out onto the pipe. Place jackstand under axle. Lower floor jack and remove wheel from pipe.

Seems like this ought to work and the floor jack should be both cheaper and more versatile than the Boegart.

bumper

hallwaypd

Has there been any updates on better ways to jack up a husky for a tire change? None of these comments sound like there was a great option, but this thread is over 10 years old. We tried to figure out how to do mine for the first time yesterday and didn’t come up with any good ideas. Hoping there’s something better out there.

JeffOpar

I use a tribal jack with a cloth to protect the paint. While doing maintenance I throw a safety stand on there for peace of mind. This set up works really well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 50