New Husky

FLHusky

The new plane finally arrived yesterday. There was a good bit of gusting wind so I only did a short flight. Did not do stalls etc. but anxious to try the VG’s.

First impressions (moving from a 2003 B) are that the controls are more solid or perhaps heavier, the extended gear makes a strong crosswind landing easy ( 12 inch wider stance and forward CG ) and the adjustable seat is very comfortable. The firewall mounted battery does not look nice with the rest of the interior.

It will take some “getting use to” for the side mounted mixture and prop controls. The prop control will not maintain position without full clamping by the friction lever.

Question, I have the Garmin 796 and Garmin GTX 345 for ADS B. Currently, I have to reconnect Bluetooth between them each time they power up. I seem to recall a setting buried deep in my Aera 660 that automatically connects. Does anyone know where that option is on the 796?

Perfect day today so more flying and getting to know the bird.

Kent Wien

The Bluetooth Setup Menu provides several options for connecting to Bluetooth devices. Manage Paired Devices can enable Automatic Reconnect and remove connections on a per-device basis. Rename is used to change the name that the aera shows other devices while pairing. Restore Default will disable Bluetooth and remove all Bluetooth connections.
Managing Connected Bluetooth Devices:

From the Main Menu, touch Tools > Setup > Bluetooth > Menu >
Manage Devices.

Ak Kurt

Hi Tim, glad to hear you got your new airplane home. I am anxious to hear more about it. By the way, that is my brother Kent who’s post is above, I was able to finally convince him to get a Husky, he is hooked now!

Keep your PIREPS on your new airplane coming.

Kurt

FLHusky

The Bluetooth Setup Menu provides several options for connecting to Bluetooth devices. Manage Paired Devices can enable Automatic Reconnect and remove connections on a per-device basis. Rename is used to change the name that the aera shows other devices while pairing. Restore Default will disable Bluetooth and remove all Bluetooth connections.
Managing Connected Bluetooth Devices:

From the Main Menu, touch Tools > Setup > Bluetooth > Menu >
Manage Devices.
Thanks Kent that got it set up and it stays connected

FLHusky

I will get some pics.

Started looking at W/B numbers. Moving the battery and replacing the Concorde RG-25 with SBS J-16 resulted in a 10 lb reduction.

Empty weight is now 1357. With a MGW of 2250 it would be difficult to overload. That is impressive! With Ann and me, full fuel (who needs that?), 50lbs behind the seat and 35lbs aft storage, we can max out the belly pod and still be under gross.

Thomas, this would be the “wine hauler” to Enfonvelle, France (not that either of our Huskies were over gross that day )

joemcd

Tim,

Does the 1357 include the weight of the pod? That seems like what most of the newer planes weigh without the pod.

Any chance you can post a picture of the battery? I’m curious as to what it looks like.

Lastly, if you load the plane as you describe above and max the weight in the pod, are you still within CG limits? I’m not familiar with where the weight in the pod falls in terms of CG.

Thanks,
Joe

tbienz

That’s the nice thing about the pod for rough country ops/camping. The weight is very close to the CG so it is still easy to raise the tail for takeoff to protect the tail wheel and see out the front while avoiding rocks etc. It does slow me down and compromise engine cooling. In deep snow, it can “sorta” act like a 4th ski.

FLHusky

Tim,

Does the 1357 include the weight of the pod? That seems like what most of the newer planes weigh without the pod.

Any chance you can post a picture of the battery? I’m curious as to what it looks like.

Lastly, if you load the plane as you describe above and max the weight in the pod, are you still within CG limits? I’m not familiar with where the weight in the pod falls in terms of CG.

Thanks,
Joe
Yes it includes the pod. The pod position is listed at an arm of 101. This is my old pod that I had them install. I always put the heavy stuff forward. Also with the removable rear seat there is a demarcation line on the floor stating 200lbs forward and 50lbs aft of the line.

Looking at the AFM, standard empty weight is 1346 so I am going to work back through their numbers on the

FLHusky

Joe's question about the weight made me go back and spend some time on the numbers in the AFM. I have sent a question to the factory as it seems to me that there is an error where they picked up the wrong starting number when calculating the modifications I had them do before delivery. Thanks Joe; it will make some difference but if I have the new numbers correct, there will still be lots of weight for stuff in the pod. I will post any corrected numbers and, I am going to try to do my own weighing of the airplane next week.

Since we are on the subject of accuracy, Thomas called me yesterday to correct my "wine hauling" statement. He seems to think that we only hauled fish and groceries from Germany to France. That would make sense as one would typically only haul French wine the other direction!
Thomas 2.jpg

joemcd

No problem Tim,

I hope yours is that light but it just seemed a little optimistic compared to other new ones I have seen and flown. Please report back with your actual weight and what Aviat's corrected weight and balance is.

Whatever it is, you have plenty of load capability.

Joe

Ak Kurt

Tim,

We just installed a pod on my brother Kent’s airplane (2015) sn 3248. We are working numbers now for equipment list.

If you weigh your airplane make sure you drain all useable fuel out and weigh it empty, if you weigh it full and subtract useable fuel in your math you may be shorting yourself. I have weighed airplanes before that hold more fuel than specified. One of my 185’s held 9 more gallons then spec, if we would have weighed it full and subtracted published useable fuel we would have been 54 pounds heavier. That was an eye opener to say the least!

Kurt

Kent Wien

As Kurt said, we just did the pod, new Hartzell starter, Reiff heater, Powerflow, and Gate 9 oil cooler shutter resulting in a gain of 38 pounds on a 2015 VFR 180 hp Husky.

New Empty Weight: 1379
Gross Weight: 2250
Useful: 871

Like Tim, this assumes the original numbers were correct.

Last edited:

joemcd

We just did the pod, new Hartzell starter, Reiff heater, Powerflow, and Gate 9 oil cooler shutter resulting in a gain of 38 pounds on a 2015 VFR 180 hp Husky.

Kent,
What tires and tailwheel are you running?
Joe

johnaz

As Kurt said, we just did the pod, new Hartzell starter, Reiff heater, Powerflow, and Gate 9 oil cooler shutter resulting in a gain of 38 pounds on a 2015 VFR 180 hp Husky.

One of mine 2007 A1B with C wing is 1309lbs without pod, 31's, Powerflow, shutter, baby bushwheel, extended cub gear/AOSS.
A1 is a about 10 pounds more with 35's, extended cub gear/AOSS and pod, no Powerflow, they add about 5 lbs. Did all we could to make it light, best we could do.
John

FLHusky

You guys are making me feel like the Husky needs a diet!

Aviat just responded with agreement that they had picked up the wrong EW before adds and subtracts. There are two W/B sheets, one with rear seat in and one with the seat removed. The new end result number with the seat in is 1406.83.

Still, full fuel, 300lbs of souls on board, 50lbs and 35lbs in the respective compartments and we have 158lbs for the belly pod.