New Husky

trapper

Yes, that has been my understanding. Also part of the reason a plane like the VariEze or Piaggio Avanti are much more efficient and faster than similarly powered standard planform aircraft. A rear CG also makes the stall speed lower which helps in STOL ops. "CC" Milne Pocock makes a big point of that in Bush & Mountain Flying.
This link discusses all manner of weight and CG matters including stall speed and cruise speed: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Weight_and_Balance
I think its the drag on the tail but I am not an engineer. I do know the elevator angle when we changed the prop was about 1/2 inch different and also the trim position in flight. I think its the drag it induced. The MT did improve the airplane but it also lost a few knots in cruise speed

Yes, that has been my understanding. Also part of the reason a plane like the VariEze or Piaggio Avanti are much more efficient and faster than similarly powered standard planform aircraft. A rear CG also makes the stall speed lower which helps in STOL ops. "CC" Milne Pocock makes a big point of that in Bush & Mountain Flying.
This link discusses all manner of weight and CG matters including stall speed and cruise speed: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Weight_and_Balance

Snowbirdxx

Assuming the same aircraft and same weight in unaccelerated, level flight.

If the CG is located more forward the tail needs to produce more downforce. This is the same as more weight in the tail but since lift is drag it creates mre drag that real weight. The downforce produced of the tail must be compensated by the wing with lift in the UP direction, which creates drad too since created by a higher AOA. And total weight stays the same.

Then we have to consider that the Huskys airfoil has a substantial hysteresis. The amount of lift needed for flying X can be created by a lower speed with higher AOA or higher speed at lower AOA. Thomas B. will second that in the MU2 he has. There above FL240 the sperad is 20 KTS.

Heres the effect in the real world explained.

Climb with 90 mph to 6000 ft with cruise climb 25/23. As soon as you reach 6000 ft bring the power back to 2000/ 22 Level the plane and trim the plane will accelerate to 106 mph and cruise with that speed and a high AOA.

Same than above but level of at 6300 ft, same trimming etc as above. When 106 mph are established, slightly trim forward, don´t touch the stick. The nose will drop slightly, speed will build up to 115mph and the nose will raise again. Do not allow the nose to raise more than level flight, which is a bit lower than position in #1. Speed will establish at 115 mph after loosing about 200ft with 200ft /min. Alt now shows 6100 and level flight at 115mph. To get to 6000ft do not touch the trim but ease the stick slightly forward. Do not let the nose come up when the extra 2 mph will be bleeding off.
Youare now flying level at the desired alt with higher speed and less AOA, untill you pull up!

Enjoy your Husky and fly safe!

belloypilot

I’ve tried that hysteresis test on my Bonanza a few times and not been able to notice anything meaningful but I’ve never conducted similar tests with the Husky - but I will now. I wonder if VGs impact the hysteresis behavior in any way. Gives me something to research on the interweb this weekend.

Take care.

Mike