Oil Cooler Baffle - Winter OPS

bobwaldron

Flying temperatures around here have been from 10 - 20 F degrees of late. My oil temperature hasn't risen above 140 F over the last couple of flights and sure enough I had the tell tails sign on moisture in my oil. I devised a small baffle plate to restrict air to my oil cooler (see photos). I drilled 3 half inch holes for some air flow flexibility that I can cover with aluminum tape (ground adjustable of course).

On my test flight the ground temperature was 0 F however but we had an inversion and at my 1500 AGL cruise altitude was 32 F. I had all three holes covered as in the third photo. After a 30 minute flight my oil temp read 203 F at ~70% power and looked relatively stable (+/- 5 F).

I read with interest on the forum about the Gate 9 Oil Cooler shutter. Is that available as a kit? From where? I didn't see a link and came up empty with a web search (though easy enough with a tuna can ;).

-Bob

Attachments

• OilBaffle1.JPG
    OilBaffle1.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 388
  • OilBaffle2.JPG
    OilBaffle2.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 415
  • OilBaffle3.JPG
    OilBaffle3.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 355

dogday

Bob,

The previous owner of my Husky installed a cable controlled shutter on my oil cooler. Hopefully someone will chime in with location of the mfg you are looking for. If not I will look at my documentation over the weekend and let you know if there is additional information that might help you.

Regards,
Craig

Snowbirdxx

I have a shutter sitting on top of the cooler inlet. Made from a Tuna can. Perfect fit, works great. Installed by a hangar fairy during Full Moon.:) Just a tiny bit of fishy smell for the first couple of hrs, than seared tuna.

Attachments

• 20130913_125325_resized.jpg
    20130913_125325_resized.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 20130913_125355_resized.jpg
    20130913_125355_resized.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 416
  • 20130913_125423_resized.jpg
    20130913_125423_resized.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 356

Meadowlark

I have owned two Huskys and had Josh's oil cooler shutter on both. IMO, it is an absolute necessity to properly warm the engine. Flying around with an engine that never properly warms up to operating temperature is hard on it. I use the shutter to hold operating temperature between 185 and 190 degrees.

After I land I always open the cowl to allow the heat to escape. I also unscrew the dip stick and leave the stick/top off center. It is amazing to watch the moisture leave the engine from the open oil filler tube! Moisture that would otherwise condense and pollute the oil.....

J/C GTF

trapper

Gate 9 is the way to go. Mine works great and is well made. I remember flying in Utah and I could not get my oil temp over 110 degrees.... not good at all for the engine. I have been flying lately with it closed off the entire day

FW Dave

I spoke to Josh the other day.. He counts on you returning your old one to fulfill the next kit, as he modifies them.. That being said, if you are down for awhile for any reason, you can pull your baffle adapter and send it to him, and you will get it faster. we are doing that now with another plane.

Baldeagle1

Got a used Gate 9 shutter valve from a collegue - unfortunately without any documents - could anybody provide me a copy of the installation manual and stc sheet for the Husky - it is already installed by a hangar fairy, but for some creepy creatures I need something in my documents :)
Many happy landings to all of you
Peter

MTV

Most of the newer STCs come with an aircraft serial number on the STC, to prevent more than one use of the STC. Likewise, the FAA is not supposed to field approve anything that is covered by a current STC.

I'd call Josh at Gate 9 and offer to buy the paperwork.

MTV

belloypilot

Most of the newer STCs come with an aircraft serial number on the STC, to prevent more than one use of the STC. Likewise, the FAA is not supposed to field approve anything that is covered by a current STC.

I'd call Josh at Gate 9 and offer to buy the paperwork.

MTV

Does anyone have contact information for Gate 9? I’ve been looking but can’t find anything.

Meadowlark

Ahhh...... Josh Munger at Gate Nine.... something. Idaho Falls, inside Aero Mark FBO..... I used to have his phone # Mike, but it has been lost to the ages.

J/C GTF

tbienz

According to my iPhone (from many years ago) it was (208)523-4283. I have no idea if that is current.