Oil Cooler Baffle - Winter OPS

FW Dave

According to my iPhone (from many years ago) it was (208)523-4283. I have no idea if that is current.
Thats a good number.. He just did a couple for us.. its worth it.. just close the thing down when its really cold and it will get up to 180 eventually usually if at higher power settings.. I dont open it that often and when I do, just crack it, when its below 30F.. its super easy to regulate the temp. Its also easy to install and the STC is in the kit. you have to mount the cable someplace.. some put it on the right some on the left.. I put it just under the carb heat.. others have it just above the ignition. really doesn't matter..

It comes through the firewall next to the propeller cable is the best place.. then snake it whereever..

Technique:.. when you push it through the panel, put some silicone tubing over the cable about the lenght it takes to the firewall, so it wont rub any wiring that way.. ounce of prevention...etc.. then put about 12 inch of tubing over it when it leaves the firewall to, and zip tie it up to the upper brace..

belloypilot

Thats a good number.. He just did a couple for us.. its worth it.. just close the thing down when its really cold and it will get up to 180 eventually usually if at higher power settings.. I dont open it that often and when I do, just crack it, when its below 30F.. its super easy to regulate the temp. Its also easy to install and the STC is in the kit. you have to mount the cable someplace.. some put it on the right some on the left.. I put it just under the carb heat.. others have it just above the ignition. really doesn't matter..

It comes through the firewall next to the propeller cable is the best place.. then snake it whereever..

Technique:.. when you push it through the panel, put some silicone tubing over the cable about the lenght it takes to the firewall, so it wont rub any wiring that way.. ounce of prevention...etc.. then put about 12 inch of tubing over it when it leaves the firewall to, and zip tie it up to the upper brace..

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Bryan Adamez

Flying temperatures around here have been from 10 - 20 F degrees of late. My oil temperature hasn't risen above 140 F over the last couple of flights and sure enough I had the tell tails sign on moisture in my oil. I devised a small baffle plate to restrict air to my oil cooler (see photos). I drilled 3 half inch holes for some air flow flexibility that I can cover with aluminum tape (ground adjustable of course).

On my test flight the ground temperature was 0 F however but we had an inversion and at my 1500 AGL cruise altitude was 32 F. I had all three holes covered as in the third photo. After a 30 minute flight my oil temp read 203 F at ~70% power and looked relatively stable (+/- 5 F).

I read with interest on the forum about the Gate 9 Oil Cooler shutter. Is that available as a kit? From where? I didn't see a link and came up empty with a web search (though easy enough with a tuna can ;).

-Bob
I just installed the Gate 9 shutter. Mounted the knob with some angle aluminum under the panel just beneath the mixture and prop control. It took me and my mechanic 2 hours total. It's very easy to install.

Kent Wien

Top view showing cable routing. We mounted the knob on the right side of the cockpit, so the cable snakes left and then right behind the instrument panel.

61EE109D-8478-4F20-9201-7FE917542E1A.jpeg

JACK

The airplane we bought appears to have had a shutter installed at one point, but it has been removed. The knob and cable are still present. Thinking of reinstalling the shutter. The one that was previously installed appears to have been the Gate 9, at least from the location of the cable routing.
Thanks again, Kurt.

Ak Kurt

Hello Jack,

That was my brother Kent that posted the pictures

Give Josh at Gate 9 a call and tell him your situation, Im sure he can come up with a solution, it may cost a few bucks but well worth it, it’s a great mod.

Josh 208-523-4283

Kurt

Proteus

I'm not near the husky at the moment, but does anyone know what diameter the duct size to the oil cooler is. 3" or 4"?

Proteus

Whilst not as good as an adjustable shutter. I have 3d printed a blocker to sit on top of the oil cooler, I've found it has worked great through winter. Happy to share the file if anyone wants one.