Rudder Return Springs

trapper

I know we have discussed this topic repeatedly over the years. I changed the return springs on my B model last year in an effort to reduce the pedal rudder tension. It is a bit better than it was but still nowhere near the feel of my old A1 Husky. I am thinking of looking for a weaker set of springs to help out. The springs in my old A1 are definitly weaker than the one's I received from Aviat. I did order them for an A1 model but they are still stiff. I am curious to see how many users have removed them and if so how does that effect the insurance issues?

Snowbirdxx

Trapper,
the rudder return spring removal is FAA STC under my Sk STC. On all Husky except the pup.

TomD

Eric Yould

I have removed my rudder return springs under Tom's STC. I like ground handling much better without the springs and both on wheels and skis.

Larson

Mine seem to have "fallen off" too! I also haven't got the tailwheel-rudder springs attached. Just have to have a "manual" rudder lock when I park the plane. I love the direct feel of the rudder.
Lars..

Meadowlark

I had removed the springs on my old A1-B because there was no "feel" through the pedals of pressure on the rudder.

Of course the new Husky had the springs on it when I picked it up. I hardly went 50 miles north of IDA when the pain in my right leg got so intense I seriously considered going back and demanding the springs be removed. A light east wind required that I hold pressure on the right rudder pedal. Somehow I made it home and the very first thing I did was remove the springs.

J/C GTF

bumper

Trapper, bad time to negotiate, just got divorced, boght a new house & badly need money.

TomD

TomD,

I have money, mostly because I've never been divorced, have more than one house, could always use a good Gnocca (even pre-owned if still in good condition) . . . perhaps we can work a trade??

bumper
as usual - - just trying to help

Oh, wait, now I remember . . . I'm married. Can you send the Gnocca in a plain white, unmarked wrapper?

Meadowlark

JC,

Just curious how a "light east wind" could require application of rudder pressure??

Mike

Sorry, I have not checked this thread lately. Confusion comes from trying to say too little. I was flying north and was being blown off course by an east wind.

At the time, my right leg was still trying to heal from the broken bone and torn ligiments from the wreck. About a month later I had to have surgery because it was not healing. The Husky had two springs on the right rudder pedal and I had to hold right rudder to hold course. The constant pressure on my right leg became extremely painful.

J/C GTF

bumper

Sorry, I have not checked this thread lately. Confusion comes from trying to say too little. I was flying north and was being blown off course by an east wind.

At the time, my right leg was still trying to heal from the broken bone and torn ligiments from the wreck. About a month later I had to have surgery because it was not healing. The Husky had two springs on the right rudder pedal and I had to hold right rudder to hold course. The constant pressure on my right leg became extremely painful.

J/C GTF

J/C,

I think that what Mike's question was alluding to is that maintaining course in a cross wind would properly require changing the aircraft heading to account for that cross wind. This would mean a "crab" as viewed from the ground with the DG or compass indicating one thing and the GPS ground track indicating another.

This condition would not necessitate holding any rudder pressure assuming the ship is rigged and trimmed properly. In fact cross wind would have no effect on the need for rudder pressure at all in cruise flight - - only when doiing a forward slip to straighten 'er our for landing etc.

Now that said, the Husky will often require some rudder pressure in cruise. Not due to cross wind but due to the fact that there is no engine offset and no vertical stab offset. Thus the ship, if rigged to require minimal rudder pressure at one speed, will require more at another speed. Also, the Husky will have a tendancy to fly left wing low due to prop torque and thus, fuel burn is seldom even from both wing tanks . . . all of this has an effect on trim.

Now where's my Gnocca?

Snowbirdxx

Bumper and Trapper I agree with both of you. Speaking of X winds, houses and divorces. What has a Hurricane and a marrigge in common?
?
?
?
In the beginning there is a lot of sucking and blowing, and all of a sudden your house is gone!

TomD

FLHusky

So Thomas, you must have had a reverse hurricane, you got the divorce and the house appeared, I guess only Ulla would know about any increase in the other "wind related" meteorological phenomenon you mentioned.

What's that I hear in the distance... is them weddin' bells a ringin' ?

Ak Kurt

Thomas,

I assume the spring removal is related to the ski STC. Am I correct? If so, is it legal to have the SGS kit installed and springs removed if the skis are not installed on the airplane?

Kurt