Rudder Return Springs

trapper

Thanks Tom for the help and the STC. All three springs are off and it feels more like my old A1 now as far as the rudder goes. My old Husky must have had weaker springs to begin with. The stick on my B model has a heavier feel than my old Husky but i believe they are all that way. I am going to check the cable tension at annual.

rparker

Tom,
We removed the rudder springs on our husky and liked it but it almost
seemed to loose. So I went to hardware store & found a set of springs
the same lenght and diameter, but only about half as stiff. We put them
on and the results were fantastic had great feel and would center up nicely
They firmed the rudders just right. feels more like my 180 and similer to
what my super cubs felt like. I don't think anyone could tell the diff. looking
in the airplane from the orignal ones. I really like the feel better than no
springs.

Red;)

dead stick

Gentlemen,
My concern is that of the cancellation of my liability insurance upon determination of inappropriate or missing springs as FAA carefully examines the wreckage here in the US

Are there springs to be removed in addition to the left and right rear rudder pedal springs?? My A1B handles air and ground much better without these two

Tom's STC should alleviate my concern or I can replace my springs with those of less resistance however I would expect a professional to easily spot low tension springs.
Am I off base with this??
DS

bumper

Probably, though I'm not an attorney. I think case decision holds an insurance company can't use something like that to deny coverage unless they can prove that it's causal to the incident.

Meadowlark

There are three springs that need to be removed. Also, you will find much impoved rudder response if the stop screws at the rudder are turned all the way in.

OF COURSE IF YOU ARE A LAWYER....... I NEVER SAID THAT.........

J/C GTF

Meadowlark

Take it off..... The only springs you need are the ones on the rudder pedals themselves..... Just to keep the pedals from falling back when your feet are not on them.

J/C GTF

tbienz

As Bumper indicated, insurance companies are unlikely to deny coverage for something as minor as this. Even more major things are often overlooked intentionally as the insurance market is pretty small and companies that elect to challenge coverage loose market share quickly.
You are more likely to run into trouble at annual. Some mechanics may refuse to sign off on the plane until the springs are back on. Mine are off, but they are off under the Snowbird STC so even my recently terminated local ultra-particular mechanic (about whom I've complained on this forum) signed off on it after I removed the springs. I'd say most won't even notice...but Aviat will if you go there for the annual.

Hmm.....Rudder springs....go figure....???

Mine was maybe delivered without that "option", or maybe the factory rudder spring guy had the day off, when mine got built...or maybe....

Gosh, golly, gee whiz....go figure.

No...WAIT....I remember now. That's the part that holds up that doohickey, next to the pulley thingamajig on my Hangar door....yeah...those are USEFUL!

I love rudder springs.

Roger that.

S.

trapper

When I bought my A1B they were so stiff I could not feel the rudder after flying my A1 for years. Removed them after trying to stretch the hell out of them. I think Toms STC covers the removal for the Ski STC ?

hallwaypd

I’m curious why there are two springs on my right rear rudder pedal and only one on the left. Is this normal? It’s on an A1-B.