SGS on Shock Gear

Ak Kurt

Thomas, I may have missed it but what are your thoughts on the SGS on the Shock Gear?
Has anyone done it yet?

Thanks

Kurt

Snowbirdxx

Yes, confirmed. On the shock gear the position of the clamps holding the original blocks is a bit different, but they are easier to remove.

johnaz

See the notes from Thomas, known as Snowbirdxx, above on this site. He has the STC and makes them. New version has better rubber and are great.
John

Gust Kalatzes

The SGS is in its simplest description is a rubber bumper replacement for the hard stop block between the landing gear and airframe. On landing the bungee suspension absorbs the impact of course and the SGS or “Soft Gear Stop” absorbs the recoil or return of the landing gear to their stop.

In years past, particularly planes with skis, large tires and to many heavy bungees, could bend cabane struts on the gear recoil from a hard landing.

In my humble opinion the SGS is one of the best cost effective ways to improve or remove impact shock to the airframe, improve ground handling and to protect the gear from a hard stop. I am also running the SGS on my newer Shock Dog extended gear. One could argue it’s not really needed on the Shock Dog gear but I don’t like hearing the gear hit the stop and I like the ground handling.

If the SGS has been out 16 years, I’ve had them for over 15 1/2 years and really like them! I’ve replaced them with new about every 5 years and or with bungee or gear changes. Not hard to install either but keep fingers out of harms way if you are installing with bungees on!

Gust

Snowbirdxx

In addition to Gusts description: The SGS counteracts the Bungees , if the gear in in flying position. Therefor the Bungees get much easier to be stretched in case of a bounced landing. The more the gear deflects, the less the SGS kit is counteracting the bungees. A gear with SGS has a much softer gear for small gear deflections , but the full bungee strength after about 3" deflection. Thats why a SGS kit is making the spring-function of the gear progressive. Just putting softer bungees on will not do the same job.

MarkZ

In addition to Gusts description: The SGS counteracts the Bungees , if the gear in in flying position. Therefor the Bungees get much easier to be stretched in case of a bounced landing. The more the gear deflects, the less the SGS kit is counteracting the bungees. A gear with SGS has a much softer gear for small gear deflections , but the full bungee strength after about 3" deflection. Thats why a SGS kit is making the spring-function of the gear progressive. Just putting softer bungees on will not do the same job.
Thomas, are there any schematic drawing of the SGS and how they get installed. Trying to imagine what it all looks like. My kit arrives soon but was just interested. Thanks much.

Snowbirdxx

The kit comes with installation instructions. Till sunday I am unable to send them. Basically you need to pull the staples from the old gear blocks. Then pull one wing down to load one gearleg to stretch the bungees. Then take the old block out, insert the sgs block, release the wing. The tricky thing is to pull the staples. But it is not that difficult.on the shock gear pulling the staples is much easier.

Last edited:

Ak Kurt

I went out and flew again today. My grass strip was frozen and all the little imperfections that make for a bumpy taxi were even rougher. The bumpers really do soften up the rebound and help smooth out the ride on the shock gear airplane. I did an intentional bounce on landing and it was nice and soft with a much reduced rebound with the associated bang against the stops you get without the bumpers. I highly recommend the SGS kit on BOTH shock gear airplanes and non shock gear airplanes.

Thanks Thomas for a great mod all these years.

Kurt