Snowbird Tailspring Report

JimC01

I (actually, my A&P) installed the Snowbird Tailspring, replacing the Aviat original spring. I have a Baby Bushwheel Tailwheel and was experiencing a significant tailwheel shimmy when landing on asphalt. Never a problem on grass.
I have now done 26 landings on the new Tailspring, (7 asphalt and 19 grass).
So far, NO SHIMMY. Sweet.
Many thanks to Thomas Dietrich for making this mod available to the Husky community.
Jim

belloypilot

Just finished the first flight with the new ‘snowbird’ spring. ABW tailwheel as well. All seems as advertised. Shock absorbency noticeably improved. Steering effectiveness noticeably improved. No shimmy, but I didn’t have that problem with the ABW spring either.

I’ve found the biggest issue with ABW tailwheel shimmy is keeping the tire pressure high enough. Certainly over 20 psi. Granted, that reduces the cushioning effect of the larger wheel, but seems to do the trick as long as all other components are healthy, aligned and installed properly. With the shock absorbency ability of the new spring running the tire pressure a bit higher shouldn’t be noticeable.

Good work Thomas!

Snowbirdxx

Just finished the first flight with the new ‘snowbird’ spring. ABW tailwheel as well. All seems as advertised. Shock absorbency noticeably improved. Steering effectiveness noticeably improved. No shimmy, but I didn’t have that problem with the ABW spring either.

I’ve found the biggest issue with ABW tailwheel shimmy is keeping the tire pressure high enough. Certainly over 20 psi. Granted, that reduces the cushioning effect of the larger wheel, but seems to do the trick as long as all other components are healthy, aligned and installed properly. With the shock absorbency ability of the new spring running the tire pressure a bit higher shouldn’t be noticeable.

Good work Thomas!

I have the last of the new springs left and already in the USA. It was mounted on a Husky did a couple of landings and the pilot then figured out that the tail sits higher than with his used tailspring. For his type of flying he said too high. Sending it back to Germany makes no sense.

Please send me a note if anybody in interested,

Greetings Tom

belloypilot

I have the last of the new springs left and already in the USA. It was mounted on a Husky did a couple of landings and the pilot then figured out that the tail sits higher than with his used tailspring. For his type of flying he said too high. Sending it back to Germany makes no sense.

Please send me a note if anybody in interested,

Greetings Tom

Hi Thomas.

At the risk of advertising my ignorance, what type of flying would be problematic with the higher tail spring? It obviously changes the AoA in 3 point attitude. Is it simply that?

Snowbirdxx

Hi Thomas.

At the risk of advertising my ignorance, what type of flying would be problematic with the higher tail spring? It obviously changes the AoA in 3 point attitude. Is it simply that?
That's exactly what he says, lower AOA, I do not know more details and did not ask.

Depending on what tires /on gear are on the plane the AOA is 14-17 deg. 17 deg is already stalled for the Clark Y Airfoil.

GreggMotonaga

The tailspring is amazing by the way. The spring is very stiff and doesn’t really flex, and it has high torsional rigidity and does not twist. Therefore, when the tailwheel assembly rotates during a taxi turn and the tailwheel is off the centerline, the plane of rotation is maintained and the “cam over” phenomenon to get the tailwheel back under the centerline when trying to straighten out is effectively eliminated. Shimmy is also reduced as a result. Nice.

Last edited:

belloypilot

It might be my imagination, but I think it gives better steering control on skis as well. Seems more responsive and and less inclined to break free, but that’s so dependent on snow conditions its hard to know for certain.

1redhusky

This was a great upgrade to my husky. The stance of the plane changed ( for the better) on 31s. The ground handling very pleasant and honest. Best mod side the SGS and the spades. Thanks Thomas!

Snowbirdxx

Make sure you received the washer upgrade kit for the -F Taipsprings rear bolts. If not please send me a mail and I ll ship it out.

GreggMotonaga

Make sure you received the washer upgrade kit for the -F Taipsprings rear bolts. If not please send me a mail and I ll ship it out.

Did any of the tailsprings ship with the washer upgrade kit included? If so, when did that begin? I have not received anything in the mail but realize that I may already have the upgraded washers.

DuntoDawg

Hi Thomas, I also need the washer mod--I have about 100 landings on the new spring and love it. I have extended gear with 31 inch bush wheels and the combination has been terrific.

Kent Wien

Installed the new spring. Works great. A bit better response on pavement. Seems you don’t have to lead the turn as much when straightening out. Seems very heavy duty yet 1.5 pounds lighter. Thanks Thomas!

kent

Snowbirdxx

Kurt,

What you feel with " better response" is the result of a mucha higher torsional strength of this spring. If the tailwheel is deflected while taxiing to any other position than neutral, it is applying a torsional force to the tailsprings. If the tailsprings is weak it will torque and as a result of this, the castrating angle of the wheel will change. That then requires a lot of force on the chains for control.

I am presently working on a small mod ( retrofit table ) to make the springfunktion more progressive. This will be a even more nicer ride in rough terrain.
I ll keep you updated.

Kurt,

What you feel with " better response" is the result of a mucha higher torsional strength of this spring. If the tailwheel is deflected while taxiing to any other position than neutral, it is applying a torsional force to the tailsprings. If the tailsprings is weak it will torque and as a result of this, the castrating angle of the wheel will change. That then requires a lot of force on the chains for control.

I am presently working on a small mod ( retrofit table ) to make the springfunktion more progressive. This will be a even more nicer ride in rough terrain.
I ll keep you updated.
How does one go about ordering the spring?