Snowbird Tailspring Report

Snowbirdxx

Last edited:

Gust Kalatzes

Made a small change to the bumper on the spring. The bumper was starting to squash out after some time and I believe some cupped washers solved the problem. Cost was $12 for two sets of washers.

Attachments

• 3AA332F6-832B-48B2-9A93-093787F5E3A6.jpeg
    3AA332F6-832B-48B2-9A93-093787F5E3A6.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 108
  • FCA611DE-F838-4563-9629-E25BAF7FCCF0.jpeg
    FCA611DE-F838-4563-9629-E25BAF7FCCF0.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 6899DE8C-1EBE-4B7F-BDCF-6DF67E0D9FB1.jpeg
    6899DE8C-1EBE-4B7F-BDCF-6DF67E0D9FB1.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 92F4C810-39DE-4681-8B67-19952E3AE990.jpeg
    92F4C810-39DE-4681-8B67-19952E3AE990.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 106

Snowbirdxx

I strongly recommend using these washers insted of the flat ones, to keep the elastomere better centered.

youribujko

I (actually, my A&P) installed the Snowbird Tailspring, replacing the Aviat original spring. I have a Baby Bushwheel Tailwheel and was experiencing a significant tailwheel shimmy when landing on asphalt. Never a problem on grass.
I have now done 26 landings on the new Tailspring, (7 asphalt and 19 grass).
So far, NO SHIMMY. Sweet.
Many thanks to Thomas Dietrich for making this mod available to the Husky community.
Jim
good morning. I want to change the tail spring as well. are there any hoist points that i should know of? i thought of jacking the plane where the handles are but it is not convenient. how did you do it?

GreggMotonaga

good morning. I want to change the tail spring as well. are there any hoist points that i should know of? i thought of jacking the plane where the handles are but it is not convenient. how did you do it?
Do you not have lifting rings attached to the spar? I have a hoist in the hangar with a lifting bar that attaches to the rings on the plane. Easily lifts the plane for ski/wheel changes, etc.

tbienz

If I just need to work on the tail, I have a simple plastic folding sawhorse with a towel on it for padding. I put it next to the plane and just lift the tail up onto the sawhorse. Just keep your back straight and left with your legs. The planes are pretty light. Removing it is the reverse, lift up, kick sawhorse over and lower. Just make sure you put the weight pretty far aft, just ahead of the forward tail spring attach point where the structure is stronger.
Otherwise, I’ll second the recommendation of an electric hoist with a spreader bar, but you need lifting rings installed (small metal “u-bars” projecting upward from either side of the upper forward fuselage next to windshield. If I’m doing work on the main gear, I use the hoist.
Pretty easy to install rings if your plane doesn’t have them.

trapper

I built a nice chain house with a spreader bar in my hanger it is awesome. When doing an annual and the tires are off it easy to get to the engine

Oryx

Kurt,

What you feel with " better response" is the result of a mucha higher torsional strength of this spring. If the tailwheel is deflected while taxiing to any other position than neutral, it is applying a torsional force to the tailsprings. If the tailsprings is weak it will torque and as a result of this, the castrating angle of the wheel will change. That then requires a lot of force on the chains for control.

I am presently working on a small mod ( retrofit table ) to make the springfunktion more progressive. This will be a even more nicer ride in rough terrain.
I ll keep you updated.
Thomas,
I was wondering if you finished the small mod making the spring more progressive? Looking to replace my original one within the the next year.