T3 tailwheel

tbienz

Looks like a pretty useful mod. Higher trailing angle should make it harder to damage when striking small logs and rocks. Also a pretty nicely damped suspension. Any idea how much weight it adds over the stock spring or ABW spring? Also, is this something that will eventually have an STC or will it require a "hangar fairy?"

Glider

Looks like a pretty useful mod. Higher trailing angle should make it harder to damage when striking small logs and rocks. Also a pretty nicely damped suspension. Any idea how much weight it adds over the stock spring or ABW spring? Also, is this something that will eventually have an STC or will it require a "hangar fairy?"

Dan is working with AirFrames Alaska on an STC. Hope the Husky makes the list.
Weight is a bit less as the parts are machined aluminum vs steel springs.

DogLip

Not a Facebook dog. any chance you could format the video so anyone may see it? The tailwheel sounds interesting!

-DogLip

johnaz

Thomas,
Will the new spring be a lighter version of your composite ones I have now?
Please advise the details.
Thanks,
John

Snowbirdxx

It will be less than 2 lbs but more durable.
Lets see what 10.000 simulated landings with a dropping tail will do to it....

Glider

It will be less than 2 lbs but more durable.
Lets see what 10.000 simulated landings with a dropping tail will do to it....

Not defending the T3 or knocking Thomas’s composit spring: I own one of Tom’s composit springs and a T3.

Much like the car suspension we drive to the airport the T3 is a linked suspension system that Includes active shock dampening and coil springs. I am not sure how many cycles the T3 has endured in a test lab. I do know that hundreds of units have been in the field over the last three years. I have not met a T3 owner who is not thrilled with the product.

Tom’s product is beautifully simple. His product uses well proven lightweight spring technology; a huge improvement over a steel leaf spring. Simple is not simple to achieve.

Catastrophic failure with either product will be a PIA but likely not life threatening event.

I am glad to be in a world with inovative folks like Tom and Dan.

David

Tom,

Please let me know when your new tail spring is ready and STC approved. I could really use one. Any idea on cost?
David

johnaz

Thomas,
I want one of your new lighter springs too. I like the previous ones as they are far lighter than stock, less weight is better! I do not think the T3 suspension system is really needed on the Husky for my use, going so slow on landing and minimal weight on the tail and total airframe is better in my view.
I am a weight nut, think better performance in a Husky is tied directly to less weight. Look at the Carbon Cub to understand, but they are to me a bit too lightly built for my use.
Keep us posted Tom on the progress.
Thanks,
John

Tommy2

Thomas, I believe that someone has a field approval on one. Not sure but I remember reading something about it.

Ksmith

Sounds like a reasonable price, thanks Thomas. I have a new to me dog, with the old 5-spring and have been holding off on replacing it, pending your completion of the project.