Takeoff and Landing Techniques

TheFlyingMouse

Flmouse you May increase Up Elevator by unscrewing the stop screw in the rear stickbottom facing Forward upwards. Wich a Bit of Power that helps getting the tail down.
Right. Unfortunately the stop screw can’t remove the additional “soft stop” that I have “installed”. They’re about even right now.

How do I know if it’s already adjusted past factory? There’s more up deflection than down, and the trim does not hold the stick back against the stop.

nose down:
138DC98D-17C1-4688-B77C-FC7372C907EB.jpeg

Full nose up trim holding stick:
140842E8-BCAD-40D7-8CFC-61527A812CC3.jpeg

Full up deflection:
0CC041A5-3E11-41C0-A47D-586A4430DC44.jpeg

The last landings were power off to get the gopro footage so I can see what’s going on. I’m going to start adding power back in on the next flight, then try to build confidence to work the flaps.

johnaz

One cannot really land well without using a slight bit of power in a Husky before touchdown unless you happen to hit it just right. Needs a little bump to keep the nose up or it drops. They are a bit weight forward which exacerbates it too, especially when by yourself with no aft weight.
This is why a cub can land shorter than a Husky, they do not run out of elevator authority with the screw jack angle change.
John

Ak Kurt

Guy’s, try the flap technique I talk about in earlier posts. Refer to post #7. Seriously, it works!

Kurt

TheFlyingMouse

Guy’s, try the flap technique I talk about in earlier posts. Refer to post #7. Seriously, it works!

Kurt

Working my way up to that! I’ll have to try it at altitude to learn what to expect, but I want to get a few bounce-free 3 pointers in using power first. Only being able to fly on weekends makes it tough to get enough practice in.

N93WY

Thanks for the pointers Kurt. I'll try them. I did not do 3 Pt in this video, two previous sorties showed me I didn't like it that much. I'll try it as you suggest and dump flaps.

The Flaps 30 tail on the ground takeoff is also the short book recommended procedure for the Skywagon. I never did like it much and when I measured it... it wasn't shorter than the tail raise/pop 30 technique. It staggered into the air. I felt the Husky doing the same thing... but I didn't measure it at all. Got some flying to do!
Scott,
Curious if you ever found a technique you liked best for the 3 pt landing? I am new to the Husky and trying to figure it out for landing. I am having a hell of a time trying to get the nose up and find myself having very sporty bounces. I have a 2012 A-1C-200. I was having these issues even with some someone in the back. I am not a lightweight upfront btw. I saw all this because I used to own a T6 and prior to that a Super D. I also had a lot of time in Super Cubs. I all of them I almost always 3 pointed every single landing. Wanted to be slow slow when landing. I never had an issue getting the nose up until the Husky. So trying to find the right technique. So anyway, again the question is....based on all the input and practice. Did you end up finding a technique that worked well consistently for you for 3 pt landings?

N93WY

Re-thinking this a bit… I guess if the flaps are allowing the wing to stall at a higher AOA then the elevator may just flat out lack authority to produce that AOA in the first place (at lower airspeed). You did say the angle of incidence on the h-stab is different for the newer Huskies.
I recently purchase a 2012 A-1C-200, it also has the 3 bladed MT prop and 29" bushwheels and a BBW. So mine has the high gross weight of 2250. I was doing the insurance checkout with instructor in back. AND I experienced everything you mentioned while trying to get o the 3 point landing. I was commenting to my CFI that I am running out of elevator and cannot get a smooth 3 point landing and even had to use my superior stick and rudder stills : ) to save some pretty nasty bounces. One time I accidentally did a wheel landing and it was my best landing. So I love this thread. Just on this page though so still reading through this... thanks. Just wanted to say ...yes...yes...I am seeing that too!!!

Ak Kurt

Scott,
Curious if you ever found a technique you liked best for the 3 pt landing? I am new to the Husky and trying to figure it out for landing. I am having a hell of a time trying to get the nose up and find myself having very sporty bounces. I have a 2012 A-1C-200. I was having these issues even with some someone in the back. I am not a lightweight upfront btw. I saw all this because I used to own a T6 and prior to that a Super D. I also had a lot of time in Super Cubs. I all of them I almost always 3 pointed every single landing. Wanted to be slow slow when landing. I never had an issue getting the nose up until the Husky. So trying to find the right technique. So anyway, again the question is....based on all the input and practice. Did you end up finding a technique that worked well consistently for you for 3 pt landings?
Refer to post # 7.

Kurt

N93WY

Refer to post # 7.

Kurt
Kurt, I just read through the entire thread...I feel your frustration ...lol. Here is my only concern about removing the flaps like that...in just about any airplane I have ever flown you are taught to be careful with dumping flaps near to the ground (and that's with full power on a go around) considering the potential massive loss of lift and having a very unhappy ending. What happens, if you happen to miscalculate the height on your flare, are a bit high, and you dump the flaps?

TheFlyingMouse

Kurt, I just read through the entire thread...I feel your frustration ...lol. Here is my only concern about removing the flaps like that...in just about any airplane I have ever flown you are taught to be careful with dumping flaps near to the ground (and that's with full power on a go around) considering the potential massive loss of lift and having a very unhappy ending. What happens, if you happen to miscalculate the height on your flare, are a bit high, and you dump the flaps?
Not to put words in Kurt’s mouth, but when I watched the videos of him and Kent using this technique littered around this forum (maybe in the thread), they only seem to do it at the point that the elevator has given up and is full back in the holding-off phase. There’s no more than about a foot to go, and the resulting AOA and drag increase brings you down softly. I’ve personally decided that I’m not ready to try this until I’m very consistent with 3 point landings using a touch of power (sight picture confidence).

Snowbirdxx

I watched Kents vid of his landing. Remember that in a 3 point attitude the tail is at about 14° AOA. Almost stalled but for sure no attached flow. Thats why the elevator is not effective. While power is on, some airflow from the slipstream passes over the elevator creating a downforce.

The 200 hp being more heavs os a lot more sensitive to that. I did a BFR yesterday witha guy who owned 3 Huskys before. He flew the new horizontal stab without noticing it visually, but said it was the nicest flying Husky he ever flew.

N93WY

Noticed many of you talk about only doing wheel landings. I noticed that in my AFM (newer wing Husky) the only procedure for a crosswind landing is in the 3 point position. What are your thoughts about that?

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

Well, how do ypu want to do that if you arerunning out of elevator authority? So do a tail low landing and retract flaps asap to get the tailwheel down. If your runway is wide, plan on touching down on the downwind sideat an angle into the wind with nminimum speed.