VM1000 Replacement with a JPI EDM 900

For those who want to see how the JPI EDM900 fits and looks in place of the VM1000. Installation involved (besides removal and replacement of the VM1000 wiring, sensors and unit itself) installing a blanking plate with a hole in it for the JPI unit. The labor cost of removal and replacement of the VM1000 was basically the same as the unit cost for the EDM 900. It actually has more information on it than the VM1000 and it is easier to see in bright sunlight. So far, I am happy with the installation.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 288

mritter

That looks great. What year model plane do you have? There was talk that early models had tube bracing behind the panel that prevented anything too deep from being mounted in place of the VM. I have a 2001 with the same panel as yours.

Kevin Rothfus

Looks Awesome, I am actually thinking of removing my VM1000 and installing Electronic International MVP50P Engine Monitor instead of JPI. In my 2006 A-1B.

Proteus

That's really interesting, If my VM100 fails this would be a tempting replacement. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Do you have any install pictures?

Ak Kurt

After what I have gone thru with my MVP 50 unit and what my brother is going thru with his I would give strong consideration to the other brands. I love mine when it works but I have had manifold pressure issues which required replacement of a component/module and have had various other issues that were caused by poorly constructed wiring harness that could have been easily avoided with better quality control. I spent thousands of dollars in labor alone chasing down these issues and then add in the cost of parts from Electronics International. Sadly, my brother is heading down this path with his MVP 50. Like I said, I love the unit when working but after what I have been thru it sure leaves a sour taste. Hopefully they have improved their quality control because they have a great product otherwise.

The JPI 900 Chris put in his airplane sure does look like a nice set up. I know another Husky owner who installed a 900 in his airplane replacing the old VM1000 and he is very happy with it.

Kurt

Last edited:

Kevin Rothfus

Interesting Kurt, in my research I have found that the product support and customer service with JPI isn't very good, one reason I have chosen to go with EI. I actually own two Husky's 2006 & 2020, the 2020 has the MVP50P installed and works great. I also own a A-36 Bonanza and am having a MVP50 installed next month. Hopefully I am not making the wrong decision. It looks like both the JPI & EI basically provide the same info, both good products........

Kev

Ak Kurt

Well EI customer service is great but you pay for it. Never once did they offer to send a replacement part under any warranty. I have sent items to them to be “overhauled” over night FedEx like they said to do only to have it sit on the shelf in the shipping room for a week before they even got to it. Never any sense of urgency on their part or “lets see if we can find a solution” just send it in and we will look at it then all they tell you 10 days later is we overhauled it, they dont tell you what was wrong with the component or if it will happen again, It’s never their fault. My brother is on his 3rd manifold pressure transducer/box (Sorry, I forgot the exact name for the component) and it has failed. His airplane has about 300 hours total time on it, the last one failed on his second flight a few days ago, thats not right. I hope its a simple fix in my brothers case, its possible but with our luck I doubt it. So if your units are working and you haven't had any problems with them that is great, they really are fantastic units when working properly but for my brother, other friends and myself we have all had issues. I really don't mean to bash EI but these are my honest experiences with them and their products. I dont have any actual experience with JPI but I have heard of issues and problems with their products and customer service. So who does that leave? Garmin? I dont know. I will say, the EI tech’s Dave and Dave are very nice on the phone and they will talk you thru any operational issues you may have. One thing I would suggest, before doing the actual install inspect the wiring harness plugs closely, that is one area I have had issues. Without digging out all my receipts I estimate I’m over $5,000 parts and labor in dealing with my MVP-50 issues.

Kurt

Ak Kurt

Kev,

Your MVP-50 in your 2020 may be a problem free unit, lets hope so. I hope they have stepped up their game in the QC department. My unit is 2012 and my brothers is 2015.

Kurt

Brad20j

Looks Awesome, I am actually thinking of removing my VM1000 and installing Electronic International MVP50P Engine Monitor instead of JPI. In my 2006 A-1B.
I have a 2006. When I looked into it, the MVP50 would not fit where the VM-1000 was. The tubes are different in the A-1C, which allows this.

Brad20j

Also, don’t forget the Garmin GI-275 as an option if you decide to go with a round gauge for your engine instruments. They keep improving that unit.

Kevin Rothfus

Good Morning Brad,

Thanks for the info, did you end up replacing your VM1000? If so, what did you end up installing? Curious if the JPI will fit in the 2006??

Kev

Kent Wien

This is the JPI 900 installed in a 2000 model. It replaced the VM1000. Posted on behalf of Kurt who knows the story behind this:

758B054F-190D-47F0-8ED3-39F97BFB80E3.jpeg 0214435F-E41C-4ED5-A0A0-DB3FCD0E8F7D.jpeg

Ak Kurt

Thanks for posting the pictures Kent! I’m not up to speed on picture posting yet.

Kev, this was done recently on a friends Husky, the JPI does fit in the old VM1000 hole. You can fabricate any type of adaptor trim plate you wish.

Kurt

belloypilot

That's an awesome combination. We put that in our Grumman a couple years ago. I wanted the same in my Husky but with the small panel it was just too much of an undertaking. I ended up going with G5s but would put 3 x GI275s in if I did it again and couldn't fit the G3X.