VM1000 Replacement with a JPI EDM 900

Pudz

Great info guys
My Vm1000 is struggling
Will most likely go the EDM 900 now that I know it fits and also fills the big hole left by the VM
Thanks
Pudz

I was asked what year my A1-B in which the JPI 900 was installed - a 2004. I do not have install pics (my local avionics and airframe shop, Sparkchasers, at KJNX did the install. It fit fine in my 2004. My Husky was one of the last "old wing" airframes built - #2280. Thus far, I am happy with it, and I have about 1100 tach hours on the airplane. I did have my Hobbs meter fail, but that is really a non-event, since it is really only used for keeping track of hours flown. When the VM 1000 failed, it meant that the tach failed too, but the JPI allowed setting the tach at the correct total tach hours when the 900 was installed. FYI, the JPI900 is more accurate than the VM1000 and has more info. Also the 900 logs engine info electronically, which can then be downloaded for analysis. This is very useful if you use someone like Mike Busch to manage your engine maintenance. FWIW, Aviat recommends the JPI900 as a replacement unit for the VM1000 (I asked my avionics shop to call Aviat before ordering the JPI unit and ask what they recommended).

LarryD

For those who want to see how the JPI EDM900 fits and looks in place of the VM1000. Installation involved (besides removal and replacement of the VM1000 wiring, sensors and unit itself) installing a blanking plate with a hole in it for the JPI unit. The labor cost of removal and replacement of the VM1000 was basically the same as the unit cost for the EDM 900. It actually has more information on it than the VM1000 and it is easier to see in bright sunlight. So far, I am happy with the installation.
Who did the install for you, would like to do the same?

I just ordered a JPI EDM 900 for my 2007 B To replace the VM 1000. JPI has a $500.00 rebate. Has anyone tried the mounting bracket they sell at Aircraft spruce for a EDM 900?
VLB

Red

Trying to decide between EDM 900 & 930 to replace the (finally gave out…) VM 1000. I know the 900 will fit, has anyone replaced VM
1000 with the 930?

A EDM 930 won’t fit in the A1B. I just completed the installation of a EDM 900 in my 2007 A1B. The 930 has a larger screen. I have been told the 930 will fit the new Husky with the larger door.
VLB