Do you get used to it? Any recommendations?

TxAgfisher

I went and flew an A1C - on paper it is the right airplane for me but my initial impression was that it flew like a pile of bricks. Every control was fighting me and you have to "make it" do what you want it to do. I also got a sensation of an accelerated stall on climb out if I got below about 60mph, is that normal?

One other thing, if I got over about 100kts the window would break free of the latch and want to fall down. Normal?

Appreciate any insight before I make a $200k mistake or walk (run) away.

Proteus

Was it a heavy machine? Mine is much more fun one up with half fuel. than two up, luggage and brimmed.

I've an early A1C and the controls don't feel as if they are fighting me. Although the bungee trim can make it feel heavy in pitch. The heavy rudder pedal springs don't help either. It's got a long wing so roll rate isn't going to be like a pitts.

With my configuration I don't really get above 100kts so can't comment on the window, It does sometimes spring out on take off, but I've never had it jump out once settled in flight.

They are a utility machine, and it might just be the case the handling isn't for you. There's no point in getting something you don't enjoy flying,

It might be an early A1 would be better for you, others more informed will be along shortly I'm sure

TxAgfisher

Yeah, I mean it’s like a 2008 or 2009 and it’s pretty heavy. It has every option for that model year, A1C-200 on 31’s. Think it says BEW is just under 1400lbs.

Can you remove all the bungees and springs?

Greg

I went and flew an A1C - on paper it is the right airplane for me but my initial impression was that it flew like a pile of bricks. Every control was fighting me and you have to "make it" do what you want it to do. I also got a sensation of an accelerated stall on climb out if I got below about 60mph, is that normal?

One other thing, if I got over about 100kts the window would break free of the latch and want to fall down. Normal?

Go fly a stock PA18, then a carbon cub, your answer will be waiting for you. Truly a mission oriented thing.
We have an A1 we put on a serious diet and then added TK1 Shock Monsters on. Truly a joy to fly in the back country. Then again we killed that nice cruise speed. Fits our mission.

johnaz

The 200 HP Husky is very heavy, go fly a 180 version and see the difference. They add at least another 50 or more pounds and are typically over 1400 lb empty weight. You should be able to find a 180 version that is near 100 lbs less, depending on your tire sizes, etc.
Weight is the key to nice handling Husky. Not fun heavy.
John

TxAgfisher

Go fly a stock PA18, then a carbon cub, your answer will be waiting for you. Truly a mission oriented thing.
We have an A1 we put on a serious diet and then added TK1 Shock Monsters on. Truly a joy to fly in the back country. Then again we killed that nice cruise speed. Fits our mission.

I used to own a 1200lb Super Cub with all the Alaska mods but have not flown a Carbon Cub. Really enjoyed my Cub.

David

I have and early A1 set up for VFR only. It has 8.50s and weighs around 1265 empty. I love the way it flys. With Snowbird's weight increase I have 715lbs of usable load. With just you and 1/4 fuel, it stalls around 38 mph. Similar to a Carbon Cub, just not as light. I found the Carbon Cub is a lot like a Kitfox. Really bouncy in the thermals and not fun for long trips. I did get the Carbon Cub to fly backwards, but have also done so with the Husky.

Buy an A1 and put the $120,000 you save into avionics, if you wish, or get lots and lots and lots of practice with all of the money you have saved that will allow you to put into fuel. You will be a much better pilot with all of that practice.

tbienz

I’ve got a ‘94 A-1 and it’s right at 1310# on 31’s with extended gear and a BBW in back. I’ve never felt it was heavy on the controls but I’ve also never flown a Cub so it might be heavy compared to that. My rudder springs are gone. But you can’t remove the bungee as that IS the trim system (unless there’s something different about the later model you are flying). Supposedly the old Huskies like mine are heavy in roll compared to the planes with newer spadeless ailerons, but I’ve not flown a ”new” wing Husky so mine feels “normal” to me…it’s certainly lighter in roll than my MU-2!! I suppose everything is relative. The fact that you previously flew a very light Cub probably means the Husky will always feel a bit weighty and I guess I’d second the other suggestions about seeking out a Husky more like what you flew before (an older, lighter Husky)…or just buy a Carbon Cub.

Proteus

I think a reasonable portion of your problem is that it's a heavy dog. The 200hp is quite a bit of weight hanging out the front.

As above. I'd try a 180hp lightweight earlier one. I think you'll find it much more fun.

Otherwise a cub / supercub may be a better machine for you.

Ak Kurt

Yeah, I mean it’s like a 2008 or 2009 and it’s pretty heavy. It has every option for that model year, A1C-200 on 31’s. Think it says BEW is just under 1400lbs.

Can you remove all the bungees and springs?
No, you can not remove the elevator springs, that is the trim system. I know some po po the system but I actually like it. As far as the rudder springs, some have removed them with good results, I have not removed mine.

Ak Kurt

I dont think empty weight has anything to do with the “heaviness” flying characteristics of a Husky. I have a new wing C model, when flown at max gross weight it “handles” the same but flys like a heavier airplane. All airplanes when loaded up fly like heavy airplanes. My super Cub had a lighter feel than my Husky but when loaded up the Super Cub flew like a heavy airplane. I like the feel of my Husky over my Super Cub, it has a more solid feel.

As to the original posters comments and questions. You mention speed in some of your maneuvers, the airspeed indicator may or more than likely may not be accurate. As far as the window latch issue goes, that is an indivual airplane issue, that latch needs adjustment. I have never had window or door latch issues except for the left side window sliding back occasionally, that was an easy fix.

I do not get the impression of every control fighting me or a heavy as bricks sensation in the Husky at all, I love the way mine flys.

Kurt

TxAgfisher

I think a reasonable portion of your problem is that it's a heavy dog. The 200hp is quite a bit of weight hanging out the front.

As above. I'd try a 180hp lightweight earlier one. I think you'll find it much more fun.

Otherwise a cub / supercub may be a better machine for you.

Appreciate it - not overly worried about the weight as it will still have a higher useful load than an early model. I need the room that the B/C models afford and will likely have to add a pod. After several years in my 180 I've forgotten what packing light is!

trapper

My 2003 A1B feels just right to me. Just the correct amount of rudder and stick forces. My old A1 was lighter but not that much difference. I would remove both rudder springs and see how it feels. I tossed mine years ago because I could not feel the rudder. I hated the feel of them but on my old A1 they were not nearly as stiff.

TxAgfisher

My 2003 A1B feels just right to me. Just the correct amount of rudder and stick forces. My old A1 was lighter but not that much difference. I would remove both rudder springs and see how it feels. I tossed mine years ago because I could not feel the rudder. I hated the feel of them but on my old A1 they were not nearly as stiff.
Do the springs come all the way off? It seems like I've read to leave 1 on - how many are there?

keikflyer

Hmmm. I had a completely different experience flying an A1C earlier this week. On Tuesday I got to fly a factory new A1C-180 (N45AH) and she was a real sweetheart. Flew it with two fingers the entire time... just like the Citabria I flew for my TW transition. She was slightly demanding about being flown in trim but that's expected. Even had good control feel flying in ground effect which was a plus; I've flown more than a few planes that get mushy.

If I were you, I'd mush another Husky before forming an opinion.

IMG_9146.jpg

jkalus

A brief answer, yes, you get used to it.

It could be in need of some minor rigging adjustment that would help you feel better about the controls. Wing washout, aileron turnbuckles, rudder trim tab, etc.

Kent Wien

Before buying my Husky, I wondered if I’d like the spring trim system. Now I absolutely love it. While taxiing in after landing, the elevator sits full up, just where it should be without any effort. Solo, I land with full up trim which is just perfect on my airplane.

I removed all the springs on my rudder pedals and found it was simply… different. Since I had no preference either way, I put them back on.

Kent

flyingjack

2007 A1B basically stock, 31s, BBW, VGs and no vacuum; justed weighed last week= 1406. Therefore, wife/I with full fuel are basically at gross with survival vest etc. Owned/flew a 1979 SC for 7 years and loved it; light, responsive: but, always slow and also doggy at gross. Husky: we love this airplane; gets in/out of short backcountry; T/O & lands great at near gross. Plus it's 110+mph at 7 gph+/-. If you want strong, safe and fast; Husky is your plane. If you want slower or lighter; go elsewhere.
Jack