Do you get used to it? Any recommendations?

Ak Kurt

I really like my Husky, but I’d never describe it at “fast.” It will make 100kts at 2000rpm max lean, so I guess it’s not horrible, but when traveling with the plane, here in Wyoming we often get pretty heavy winds and there have been several days fighting the ever-present headwinds where I notice that the semis and freight trains are passing me. But I know it could be worse. Several years ago a pilot landed a SuperCub at my home field (KLAR) and after tying down on the ramp (to keep the plane from blowing away) he walked into the FBO, clearly frustrated. I asked him if something had happened to his plane. He said no, but that he had been flying for several hours into the wind and was only making 20kts VMG so he was “giving up and going to a motel to try again tomorrow.“
Thomas, the Husky may not be fast but its faster than a Super Cub!

Kurt

N93WY

Interesting everyone that is suggesting removing tailwheel springs. I had to tighten mine (shorten chain) due to tailwheel shimmy. Now the shimmy is gone. I would think removing the springs would bring back a shimmy.

Kent Wien

I removed my (cockpit) tail wheel springs for a few flights. I don’t mind either way. Had no preference so I put them back in.

astlouis

I dont think empty weight has anything to do with the “heaviness” flying characteristics of a Husky. I have a new wing C model, when flown at max gross weight it “handles” the same but flys like a heavier airplane. All airplanes when loaded up fly like heavy airplanes. My super Cub had a lighter feel than my Husky but when loaded up the Super Cub flew like a heavy airplane. I like the feel of my Husky over my Super Cub, it has a more solid feel.

As to the original posters comments and questions. You mention speed in some of your maneuvers, the airspeed indicator may or more than likely may not be accurate. As far as the window latch issue goes, that is an indivual airplane issue, that latch needs adjustment. I have never had window or door latch issues except for the left side window sliding back occasionally, that was an easy fix.

I do not get the impression of every control fighting me or a heavy as bricks sensation in the Husky at all, I love the way mine flys.

Kurt
How did you resolved the left side window sliding back issue? I have not come up with anything that works.

jkalus

How did you resolved the left side window sliding back issue? I have not come up with anything that works.
Take it out, cut some thin adhesive back velcro strips, and stick them on the part of the window that goes in the channel.

tbienz

Cut a small piece of metal coat hanger. Bend it into a spring clip and use duct tape wrapped around the central portion to create a handle. Clip it across the two frames.

groshel

I took out the forward vertical seal and cut out one of the bead / arrow lips. With the vertical seal as it is it doesn’t allow the window to slide fully forward into the channel and that’s why it slides back. It’s not fully captured by the forward seal.

Cutting part of the seal away allows the window to now fit farther forward into that vertical seal channel when closed and the remain seal half holds it in place.

chris

jliltd

Thomas, the Husky may not be fast but its faster than a Super Cub!

Kurt
Nice satire there. There is no comparison. If I fly from El Paso in a Super Cub to the Great Lakes region I overnight in Kansas. If I fly a Husky on the same trip I am in Cleveland.

Last edited: