Do you get used to it? Any recommendations?

Jeb

Maybe I am lucky and have a unicorndog. My instructor, who regularly flies lots of huskies, says my 200hp feels just like the rest of them. My trim settings are exactly as Kent describes. I burn less fuel and NEVER even come close to worrying about cooling. 10k foot climb on a 85* day at 73mph…oil and cht cool down with the lapse rate. I did not try to end up in a 200hp, but would do so if I had to do it again.

johnaz

Maybe I am lucky and have a unicorndog. My instructor, who regularly flies lots of huskies, says my 200hp feels just like the rest of them. My trim settings are exactly as Kent describes. I burn less fuel and NEVER even come close to worrying about cooling. 10k foot climb on a 85* day at 73mph…oil and cht cool down with the lapse rate. I did not try to end up in a 200hp, but would do so if I had to do it again.
Empty weight of yours?

tbienz

2007 A1B basically stock, 31s, BBW, VGs and no vacuum; justed weighed last week= 1406. Therefore, wife/I with full fuel are basically at gross with survival vest etc. Owned/flew a 1979 SC for 7 years and loved it; light, responsive: but, always slow and also doggy at gross. Husky: we love this airplane; gets in/out of short backcountry; T/O & lands great at near gross. Plus it's 110+mph at 7 gph+/-. If you want strong, safe and fast; Husky is your plane. If you want slower or lighter; go elsewhere.
Jack
I really like my Husky, but I’d never describe it at “fast.” It will make 100kts at 2000rpm max lean, so I guess it’s not horrible, but when traveling with the plane, here in Wyoming we often get pretty heavy winds and there have been several days fighting the ever-present headwinds where I notice that the semis and freight trains are passing me. But I know it could be worse. Several years ago a pilot landed a SuperCub at my home field (KLAR) and after tying down on the ramp (to keep the plane from blowing away) he walked into the FBO, clearly frustrated. I asked him if something had happened to his plane. He said no, but that he had been flying for several hours into the wind and was only making 20kts VMG so he was “giving up and going to a motel to try again tomorrow.“

bumper

tbienz,

That reminds me of flying my Aeronca 7AC "Champ" from Minden, NV to Napa, CA. Had a hand propped 65 hp, with wooden paddle out front. On a good day it'd do a barely honest 85 mph, but not more without help from Ma Nature (and that's rare it seems). The only things I ever caught in the air were the Goodyear Blimp, and once I almost caught up with an AN2 (but he might have been going slow on purpose in the pattern).

Once over S. Lake Tahoe heading west, GPS showed a ground speed of 13 mph, almost as fast as a bicycle and faster than most baby strollers! I had full fuel (13 gallons) but could never have made Napa , CA without re-fueling at that rate. However, I knew once I cleared the western flank of the Sierra I could start down, and beyond the foothills I'd be able to drop down to fence post level if need be - - and that worked!

TxAgfisher

A buddy of mine was able to navigate through the NTSB site better than me and found the damage history. Looks like it’s been down hard, twice. Might just be this particular airplane.

Jeb

A buddy of mine was able to navigate through the NTSB site better than me and found the damage history. Looks like it’s been down hard, twice. Might just be this particular airplane.
Bummer!

Mine needed some rigging help. A poorly rigged plane sucks. Hopefully this one can be fixed easily.

belloypilot

W&B claims 137x with 29” wheels. I haven’t weighed it myself. Probably will at annual when I will be pulling my vacuum system.
That could be the lightest 200HP Husky I’ve ever heard of, but that could have more to do with limitations of what I’ve heard than the weight of airplanes :). Must be a real pleasure to fly. I’m envious :)

johnaz

That could be the lightest 200HP Husky I’ve ever heard of, but that could have more to do with limitations of what I’ve heard than the weight of airplanes :). Must be a real pleasure to fly. I’m envious :)
Hard to believe that is actual empty wt of a 200hp Husky with 29's. Great if actual, but doubtful in my experience.

Last edited:

Jeb

Haha! I doubt that weight also, but it does perform really well. Sometimes I even get lucky and don’t force it perform poorly.

Ak Kurt

Guy’s, when you weigh your Husky’s do it with empty tanks. Drain all fuel except for unusable. Husky’s hold more fuel than specified. If you top the tanks and subtract the advertised unusable fuel you will have an empty weight that is not correct. A good example, my 1974 Cessna 185 had 74 usable but when we drained the tanks we put 83 gallons back in. If I had weighed the airplane with full tanks and subtracted usable fuel then I would have an empty weight on paper 54 pounds heavier than actual empty weight. Weigh em empty! (Less unusable fuel of course)

Kurt

belloypilot

Guy’s, when you weigh your Husky’s do it with empty tanks. Drain all fuel except for unusable. Husky’s hold more fuel than specified. If you top the tanks and subtract the advertised unusable fuel you will have an empty weight that is not correct. A good example, my 1974 Cessna 185 had 74 usable but when we drained the tanks we put 83 gallons back in. If I had weighed the airplane with full tanks and subtracted usable fuel then I would have an empty weight on paper 54 pounds heavier than actual empty weight. Weigh em empty! (Less unusable fuel of course)

Kurt
Isn’t it easier to drain all the fuel, weigh it, then add in the weight of the specified unusable fuel to come up with BEW? Or maybe that’s what you meant and I misunderstood. That’s what we did, and turns out my Husky holds 54 gallons - which apparently isn’t unusual.

johnaz

Hard to believe that is actual empty wt of a 200hp Husky with 29's. Great if actual, but doubtful in my experience.
Also if one flies a 180 Husky, then tries out a 200 you will find they are very nose heavy in comparison. Plus the added empty weight which is just more weight in the wrong place, up front. Husky's are nose heavy to start with.

Snowbirdxx

Well unusable fuel has little to do how much you can get Out of the Tanks when Level. Its described in far 23. Sideslip 15deg and switched to the Most critical Tank. When the engine Starts sputtering, the remaining fuel is unusable fuel. Most Planes run dry when Level.

Kurt

Jeb

Kurt
Plus then you can make marks next to your sight tubes more specific than quarters.

DogLip

I flew a late model Cessna 185 for 10 years and always was envious of the Cub/Husky performance. Have owned a A1B Husky for 16 years and absolutely love it. You will have more fun in the Husky!!!

jliltd

In addition, if you do drain the fuel out of the system for weighing, don't drain it from the tank quick drains. Rather drain it from the carb or fuel servo at the fuel line fitting. That way the whole system is drained in the same way fuel is delivered, and any unusable or "p-trapped" fuel stays onboard in the proper low points an nooks and crannies.