G3X Touch Retrofit?

Eaachuck

Of course .... here's pics. Unfortunately taken in the hangar instead of in-flight.
View attachment 5007
View attachment 5008

There you have it.

Wow, Jlitd; I wish I had that information earlier. Garmin was not helpful nor forthcoming with integration information and I just went with what seemed like the best choices at the time. It was Aviat that discovered the GI-275 didn't integrate with the G3X and now we're waiting for Garmin to hopefully do so. And you expose that they have different buss architecture ...... oh-oh. Fingers crossed.
Outside of that, I like this set-up a lot. I know it can be a touchy subject but I'm a firm believer in "steam gages" which is why I kept them. I come from a sailplane and competition acro background and for me the human interface wants to be very quick and subtle - I rely more on outside inputs like feel, sound, sight etc.
I cannot answer the short / tall panel thing; I'm new to the Husky scene and don't know much. I hope the pics can tell you what you need. I can tell you that the panel is pretty full and there's not much room left (including behind) for more. In truth, I had wanted the GI-275 and AS to be the other way around but the depth of the GI-275 prevented that.
Recognize this is an old post but was curious about 275? Is that redundancy or for another purpose. I don’t see and AP so wondering…

Clifford

Recognize this is an old post but was curious about 275? Is that redundancy or for another purpose. I don’t see and AP so wondering…
Hi Eaachuck,
Well, the GI275 is there for: I wanted to try it instead of a G5; for redundancy; and because I thought I could have the option of full-screen navigation on the G3X in which case having the GI275 with attitude AS Alt etc would be handy; note; evidently being certified forces the G3X to be primary so its configuration is fixed with the split screen, or something like that as I was told. I'm also trying to get used to the whole glass panel thing. You are correct; no AP in this airplane.
What I like: except for the exact layout that is limited by the panel and structure behind it; I really like this panel A LOT. It suits my flying in this airplane.
What I'd change: make the physical layout really like a standard 6-pack replacing the center column with the G3X; replace the key switch with toggles; already in process is switching out the GTX345 with a GTX325+GDL82+GDL52R giving me all the same SiriusXM WX and ADSB traffic but having the option of anonymous ADSB out.
What I don't like: "Garmin" dealers and installers that don't really know their craft. I know there is so much more interoperability between everything in my panel (ie range ring displayed on the G3X from fuel/burn/speed from the EI MVP-50) and I haven't found anyone that can do it. And it's way out of my wheelhouse.

Hope that's the input you were after

Last edited:

jliltd

If that is what you're doing it will not give you anonymous mode. Your avionics shop might suk. Unless you meant to type GTX 327 instead of 325. In fact, I have never heard of a GTX 325. If it's a 327 then hallelujah. You have seen the light.

Clifford

If that is what you're doing it will not give you anonymous mode. Your avionics shop might suk. Unless you meant to type GTX 327 instead of 325. In fact, I have never heard of a GTX 325. If it's a 327 then hallelujah. You have seen the light.
I called Garmin direct and it was them that gave me the setup. The GTX325 is the replacement for the discontinued GTX327. The key to this is that the xponder needs to be a Mode C in order to transmit through the GDL82 and this is where the anonymous happens.

jliltd

Aha. New mode C transponder. For others wanting to go the GDL 82 route I might suggest buying a used GTX 327 on the open market for about $400 including tray and connector. It's digital so reliable and they really doesn't wear out. Your installation shop can return it to service.