G3X Touch Retrofit?

Brad20j

I have looked at the GI-275, very nice and lots of choices to replace several things in the panel. Much more costly though.

I'm a bit wary of a touch screen so small and trying to hit very small points on the screen with my big fingers bouncing around. The problem becomes even more acute when the touch screen has no bezel to rest a finger on for stability while trying to touch the screen in a particular spot. Holding onto a knob seems easier to me.
I have a GI 275 HSI and am super happy with it. The buttons on the touch screen are no problem because they’ve been placed spaced from each other. Also, no bezel is needed, because it’s a relatively small screen, so it’s easy to anchor your fingers around it.

Brad20j

Also, for most operations, touching the screen is only to select the field that you want to modify, such at heading or altitude bug on the AI screen, or selecting the CDI or input on the HSI screen. Once the field is touched, you make inputs via the concentric knobs, so there’s not a lot of touching the screen in flight. It becomes intuitive quickly. (My GI 275 is driven by an external GTN 650 Xi, so I don’t use an internal GPS and don’t know if this would require more touch-screen button pushing.)

Ksmith

Great info, I did not see the knobs in the pictures I was looking at.

Do you have the Artificial Horizon also? I have a 430 WAAS that will drive the unit I choose. I wonder if the handle aerobatics and unusual attitudes well?

Brad20j

Technically, I don’t have the AI also. But the HSI installation provides the AI display as a backup. And I have used it in AI mode. i think for a one#time fee of a couple hundred bucks, the AI will also provide synthetic vision.

My 2006 Husky A1-B is certified day/night VFR/IFR and has a factory-installed heated pitot tube. How many IFR Huskies have heated pitot tubes? Definitely useful for flying in the clouds. Also has a very phallic appearance :)

belloypilot

In the great white north heated pitot is a requirement for night VFR and all IFR flight. Mine doesn’t have it but otherwise meets IFR equipment requirements. Not that interested in much IFR operations with this aircraft but being night VFR legal would be nice. I priced out installing a heated pitot. Ouch, but still might do it.

Clifford

I've been following this thread for a bit. We got our Husky late last year and it has the "VFR" panel with the Garmin 796 mounted in the center. I like the center mounted nav screen and "steam gages" for AS and Alt. But I'm going to replace the 796 with a real G3X. After going round-and-round we've figured out that a full 4-pack won't fit with the 7" portrait G3X; so we're going with the G3X center mounted with AS and Alt to either side as it is now. Scheduled to go into Aviat late March for the new panel. I'll keep you all updated with the result :)

Kent Wien

Nexair Avionics in Plymouth, Mass is currently doing up their Husky that has that panel (796) and will have the G3X in it soon. It’s going to be great I’m sure.

I will likely just do the two GI-275s on my VFR panel with the already installed GNX375. Someday.

P Taylor

I got to fly a new EX3 carbon cub with a G3X.looks like it’s going to cost me some money.
My Mechanic likes installing radios and has a relationship with the avionics shop.
We are going to start out with a new panel and am wondering if I can change my short panel 99 A1A to a tall panel.
Also does anyone have any pictures of a G3 installation in a Husky yet
I will Be using a waas 430 with it.
Thanks Pete

Ak Kurt

Hi Pete,

It may be difficult to change to a tall panel, you will have to replace the upper boot cowl in addition to fabricating a new panel. That is one obvious item that I can think of, there may be other issues to deal with too.

Kurt

I wanted to install G3X, replacing a legacy G500 as part of a GFC500 autopilot install. The aircraft has a MVP 50 factory installed, and Garmin 750. GX3 is slightly larger than G500, and could not make it fit.

Brad20j

On the FB group ”Husky Owners...”, there‘s a post from Sept 23, 2020 with a shot of a G3X Touch installed in a short panel. It didn’t let me copy the link.

belloypilot

That link didn’t work for me, but I don’t have a FB account.

A couple years back I was in discussion with Aviat to install a G3X in my short panel A1B. They concluded it was possible but it was going to be expensive. Almost everything would have to be relocated, including a lot of electrical. Just couldn’t justify the cost.

Clifford

I hope to go pick up our Husky with the new panel next week. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.
I don't know anything about short / long panels. I went round and round with Steve on the layout of my panel and we arrived at what I think will work nicely for me. But I also have no WAAS GPS and hence no IFR capability; which I'm very OK with (never wanted IFR in this airplane). I'm a steam gage guy and wanted the G3X really for easy navigation and integration with the radio and xponder. As a luxury I added the GI275 for another fancy screen to look at. As for pricing, I had Aviat and SteinAir quote; Aviat won by a little and I'm comfortable with the folks that built it modifying it.

P Taylor

Thanks for your replies I am very much looking forward to pictures of the aviat installation.
I figured to completely replace the panel.
thanks,Pete

Clifford

I just got back from the factory whom I had install a G3X Touch and GI-275. I'm happy to give a more complete PIREP if anyone is interested but here's my initial take:
I like it a lot. The install has some shortcomings but I expect (hope?) Garmin to address these in the near future. Currently the GI-275 does not interface with the G3X; when (if?) it does these shortcomings will go away.
I put in the 7" portrait G3X and kept all the "steam gages" and added a 2 1/4" VSI. The layout seems to be working really well.