New AD Applies to all Husky Years and Models Effective 9/1/20

The FAA has issued the following Airworthiness Directive:

2020-16-06 Aviat Aircraft Inc.: Amendment 39-21190; Docket No. FAA-2020-0715; Project Identifier AD-2020-00484-A.

(a) Effective Date

This AD is effective September 1, 2020.

(b) Affected ADs

None.

(c) Applicability

This AD applies to Aviat Aircraft Inc., Models A-1, A-1A, A-1B, A-1C-180, and A-1C-200 airplanes, all serial numbers, certificated in any category.

(d) Subject

Joint Aircraft System Component (JASC)/Air Transport Association (ATA) of America Code 5510, Horizontal Stabilizer Structure.

(e) Unsafe Condition

This AD was prompted by reports of complete failure of the forward horizontal stabilizer support assembly due to fatigue in combination with complete failure of the rear horizontal stabilizer support tube due to fatigue. The FAA is issuing this AD to prevent cracking of the forward and rear inboard supports, which could result in failure of the stabilizer supports, detachment of the stabilizer, and loss of airplane control.

(f) Compliance

Comply with this AD within the compliance times specified, unless already done.

(g) Inspection and Repair

For airplanes with 400 or more hours time-in-service (TIS), do the following inspection within 30 days after September 1, 2020 (the effective date of this AD) or within 20 hours TIS after September 1, 2020 (the effective date of this AD), whichever occurs first. For airplanes with less than 400 hours TIS, do the following inspections within 30 days after accumulating 400 hours TIS or within 20 hours TIS after accumulating 400 hours TIS, whichever occurs first. After the initial inspection, repeat the inspections at intervals not to exceed 12 months or 100 hours TIS, whichever occurs first.

(1) Below and just aft of the horizontal stabilizer leading edge, remove each inspection hole cover if installed, or cut out the inside of each inspection ring if not cut out, on both sides of the fuselage. You do not need to remove the stabilizer support assembly. Locate the forward horizontal stabilizer support assembly. Using a light and a mirror or a borescope, inspect the stabilizer support assembly for cracks in the large tube portion of the assembly. Pay particular attention to the toe of the welded bushings where the stabilizer support assembly is bolted to the fuselage frame.

(i) If no cracks are found, install inspection hole cover, part number (P/N) 61659 and mounting screws, P/N 59146.

(ii) If any cracks are found, before further flight, replace the stabilizer support assembly with the same part-numbered part, either P/N 35086-501 or P/N 38086-501 as applicable. Replace both self-locking nuts with self-locking nuts that have zero hours TIS. Replacing the forward stabilizer support assembly requires removal and reinstallation of other horizontal stabilizer components. Replace all self-locking nuts with self-locking nuts that have zero hours TIS upon reinstallation of these components.

(2) Inspect the rear horizontal stabilizer support tube weld joints for corrosion and damage in accordance with the Instructions, steps 1.a. and 1.b., of Aviat Aircraft Inc. Service Bulletin No. 28, Revision A, dated April 2, 2015. If there is any corrosion or damage on a weld joint, before further flight, repair the weld joint and install a repair tube inside the stabilizer support tube as depicted in the figure on page 3 of Aviat Aircraft Inc.

Service Bulletin No. 28, Revision A, dated April 2, 2015. Repairing the rear horizontal stabilizer support tube requires removal and reinstallation of other horizontal stabilizer components. Replace all self-locking nuts with self-locking nuts that have zero hours TIS upon reinstallation of these components.

(h) Reporting Requirement

If a crack is found during any inspection required by paragraph (g) of this AD, within 10 days, report the following information to the FAA at the address listed in paragraph (l) of this AD:

(1) Aircraft Make and Model

(2) Aircraft N-number

(3) Aircraft Serial Number

(4) Total hours TIS

(5) Total takeoff and landing cycles (if known)

(6) Aircraft used for Tow operations? Yes or No

(7) If the Aircraft is used for Tow operations, report heaviest Glider Max Gross takeoff weight or banner maximum weight.

(8) Describe the crack location(s) and report the length of the crack(s) in the forward horizontal stabilizer support assembly, rear horizontal stabilizer support tube, or both.

(i) Special Flight Permit

In accordance with 14 CFR 39.23, special flight permits are prohibited.

(j) Paperwork Reduction Act Burden Statement

A federal agency may not conduct or sponsor, and a person is not required to respond to, nor shall a person be subject to a penalty for failure to comply with a collection of information subject to the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act unless that collection of information displays a currently valid OMB Control Number. The OMB Control Number for this information collection is 2120-0056. Public reporting for this collection of information is estimated to be approximately .5 hour per response, including the time for reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, completing and reviewing the collection of information. All responses to this collection of information are mandatory. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including suggestions for reducing this burden to: Information Collection Clearance Officer, Federal Aviation Administration, 10101 Hillwood Parkway, Fort Worth, TX 76177-1524.

(k) Alternative Methods of Compliance (AMOCs)

(1) The Manager, Denver ACO Branch, FAA, has the authority to approve AMOCs for this AD, if requested using the procedures found in 14 CFR 39.19. In accordance with 14 CFR 39.19, send your request to your principal inspector or local Flight Standards District Office, as appropriate. If sending information directly to the manager of the certification office, send it to the attention of the person identified in paragraph (l) of this AD.

(2) Before using any approved AMOC, notify your appropriate principal inspector, or lacking a principal inspector, the manager of the local flight standards district office/certificate holding district office.

(l) Related Information

For more information about this AD, contact Mark Dalrymple, Aerospace Engineer, Denver ACO Branch, FAA, 26805 E. 68th Avenue, Denver, CO 80249; phone: (303) 342-1090; email: mark.dalrymple@faa.gov.

(m) Material Incorporated by Reference

(1) The Director of the Federal Register approved the incorporation by reference of the service information listed in this paragraph under 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51.

(2) You must use this service information as applicable to do the actions required by this AD, unless the AD specifies otherwise.

(i) Aviat Aircraft Inc. Service Bulletin No. 28, Revision A, dated April 2, 2015.

(ii) [Reserved]

(3) For Aviat Aircraft Inc. service information identified in this AD, contact Aviat Aircraft Inc., Al Humbert, 672 South Washington Street, Afton, WY 83110, United States; phone: (307) 885-3151; email:dmir@aviataircraft.com; internet: https://aviataircraft.com.

(4) You may view this service information at FAA, Airworthiness Products Section, Operational Safety Branch, 901 Locust, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. For information on the availability of this material at the FAA, call 816-329-4148.

(5) You may view this service information that is incorporated by reference at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, email:fedreg.legal@nara.gov, or go to: https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/cfr/ibr-locations.html.

David

I did not have any of Service Bulletin #28 requirements for replacement/installation of strengthening tube/welding, but years ago during a major annual I did Service Bulletin #28. I wonder if Aviat will produce a new superior forward stabilizer support assembly that will allow us to forgo/permanently comply with the AD?
David

jkalus

Mine broke at the bushing while pushing my plane back into its parking spot about 20 years ago. I had just flown from Salt Lake to San Diego over the boiling desert. I guess I was lucky. Had to buy a new H-tube. Sent the old one to Aviat and never heard anything. As a result, I don’t push or pull on the horizontal stab.

Ak Kurt

I can only imagine how much the new parts are going to cost if replacement is necessary.

Kurt

Dipper

Does anybody know if Aviat are contributing financially to the inspection? Will Aviat provide free of charge the additional inspection covers?

groshel

I’m surprised an Aviat SB didn’t precede this AD...very poor support in my opinion.

ADs don’t usually include images but referenced SBs that do.

What is a “toe” of a bushing?... do they mean “shoulder?

C

Flying Dave

Sure would be nice if there was a diagram/picture to show exactly what/where we are looking!

Page 30 of the parts catalog online shows Item 42 listed as 35086-501 in diagram 10 which is on page 32.

I wonder how many have been found in the field. I also wonder how many were tow aircraft. I also wonder if this is caused by improper rigging/tension back there after going through a cracked elevator arm last annual.

Good news is that I guess the 400hr requirement will only affect about 30 airframes............

Kidding.....

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

I just commented this AD in the FAA website. The reason for the cracking is neither towing but a bad design of the setup. The mounting tubes are just regular tubes that go into the stabilizer leading and trailing edge. These tubes have play. The bolt that goes through these tubes can not be tightened, because the torque will squeeze the tubes together. I insert a tight tolerance DELRIN plug into the support tubes, drill it in place and can torque these bolts without squeezing the tubes. No play at all. Without the plugs the play starts a dynamic scenario leading to fatigue failure. The more you fly. The AD as it is is not solving the problem, it is a detailed guide to watch the problem to build up.
Then I have the handles on the stabs labeled NO PUSH,LIFT or PULL. The arm from the handle to the hinge point is about 5-5" long the tailweight about 200 lbs. The bolt holding it a AN3. The load is asymmetrical. You do not need to do any math, a bit of common sense is enough. You will never push lift or pull your Husky on those handles again.

airplanebrad

I agree with Tom, also I think the cracking is due to improper rigging. The horizontals need to be level, Ive seen them rigged poorly and when done so they could be possible to rig in a dihedral situation which puts stress on the H tubes. Check your tails! Stop pulling on the handles.

Proteus

Thanks for the more detailed info Thomas, although I never lift with the stabiliser handle I have been using it for pulling the aircraft forwards or pushing it back. (until my hangar buddy bought a remote control tug recently). I'll not be doing that anymore.

Floyd

48A45A20-D193-4E26-87EF-65B6E2496F56.jpeg
Is it where the two bolts pass through and bolt together or are we talking about the welds on the frame that bolt the horizontal stabilizer to the frame. I looked at my A1 and everything looks like new in there. I’m just hoping I’m looking at the right welds

Whiskeybravo

Thanks Thomas. I think the Delrin plug insert is a great improvement to the design and enables tightening that joint to eliminate play as you point out. Is this an item I can purchase from you ? I used to push and pull using those handles...thinking that is what they were designed for...stupid me... :) will not anymore.

Snowbirdxx

Due to COVID19 shipping stuff from Germany to the US went from 3,50€ to 63€. Can´t ship small stuff any more. But you should be able to get these plugs machined anywhere in the US. I will supply the measurements soon. I do not have them on file. Further on, I will post installation instructions for the plugs. The removal of the elevator is not required. Took me 20 minutes last time I did it. It is an easy job, but when done the first time, a helper is much appreciated. The " special" tools required are either stands or boxes with pillows to support the elevator in a horizontal position.

Larson

I think the manufacturer has been aware of this for many years.

Are these fittings the same as on the S1 Pitts?