New AD Applies to all Husky Years and Models Effective 9/1/20

groshel

I went thru the access panel opening on the belly near the fuselage assist handles. Had to open up that access previously when I installed the tow hitch kit.

Used a long flexible borescope and had a decent look at area with no issues noted.

Chris

Ak Kurt

Done. No cracks.
Jack, you are going to have to do it again after September first when the AD becomes effective if I interpret it correct.
I inspected mine last week for my annual, all good, going to have to do it again next month.

Kurt

Two questions:

1. The AD says "(f) Compliance
Comply with this AD within the compliance times specified, unless already done"

We take a close look at this area at every annual inspection, would this mean that we have complied - already done?

2. Can't see that the AD specifies inspection intervals, when is the next one due?

I have found that even if the inspection has been done recently, the MR or log book needs an entry with reference to this AD.
The next one is due in 100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Larson

It would be interesting to know the aircraft that cracking has been found on engine/propeller combination.
Where they metal or composite prop?
180/200hp?
Had they been dynamically balanced? Balance intervals, etc...
Type of flying that had been done? ie. power settings?

groshel

Has anyone on the forum beside jkalus seen any issues as mentioned in the AD on the forward support tube?

Since SB28, Rev A addresses the rear tube and is five years old does anyone know what happened that the feds flagged both areas in the upcoming AD?

Ak Kurt

Has anyone on the forum beside jkalus seen any issues as mentioned in the AD on the forward support tube?

Since SB28, Rev A addresses the rear tube and is five years old does anyone know what happened that the feds flagged both areas in the upcoming AD?
That would be interesting to know. Last week we inspected BOTH forward and rear on my 2012, 180hp A1-C with about 600 hours total time, no cracks.

MTV

The tail on these (and most other) aircraft really take a lot of punishment from the propeller pulses. So, as Thomas noted, ANY play in that system is bound to eventually cause damage.

Next time you're out flying, look back at your tail when under some power, as in a climb with power.

Early Huskys had the lower brace wires break at the attach point on the fuselage. I had this happen twice on skis. Those joints were "improved", but I suspect power pulses on the tail off the propeller probably contributed.

MTV

GreggMotonaga

As a precaution, I too sent my mechanic on a fabric cutting mission to hunt for cracks. I would have been really pissed to have my horizontal depart the aircraft on August 30. My mechanic says it looks brand new back there. I hope it doesn’t have any issues from now until September. The plane is a 2006 A-1B with about 800 hours.

jkalus

I would have liked to know why mine broke. Bad weld, corrosion, fatigue, damage, a combination of any of the above? My maintenance shop sent it to Aviat. Unfortunately it then became Top Secret SCI. I never could find out. It took very little force for it to break. I was lucky it happened on the ground. I don’t know how it would have played out in flight.

Snowbirdxx

The tail on these (and most other) aircraft really take a lot of punishment from the propeller pulses. So, as Thomas noted, ANY play in that system is bound to eventually cause damage.

Next time you're out flying, look back at your tail when under some power, as in a climb with power.

Early Huskys had the lower brace wires break at the attach point on the fuselage. I had this happen twice on skis. Those joints were "improved", but I suspect power pulses on the tail off the propeller probably contributed.

MTV
Mike, the early strut designs had bolts welded to the strut ends. These carbonize during the welding process. Then the useless counter it put a lot of tension on the threads. Vibration and tension made the carbonized bolts break. Then the rear strut got redesigned to a solid wire with cut threads. That got replaced with rolled threads. Meanwhile the drugs are heavy ugly but do not break any more.other approaches to that problem could have solved that problem much nicer.

Dipper

There is an SB coming out this week. I would sit tight before doing anything. It’s possible no hole covers will be needed.