New AD Applies to all Husky Years and Models Effective 9/1/20

jimhusky

I had the same results in both the required inspections in September 20 & 21, and the additional inspection done in December 21 to sync the inspection with the Annual.

Jim J.
N73GT

Snowbirdxx

I doubt that there will be more findings on this AD. The planes having cracks were either heavily used tugs or abused by constantly lifting the tail by using one handle on the vertical stab. More important thal looking inside is to grab the stabhandle and shake it up / downwith little force to detect a possible play between the stab and the tube. Since the tube does not have bushings, the bolt attaching the stab can not be torqued properly. It squeezes the stab and the tube and with time there will be play. If there is play, dynamics will cause fatigue and cracks.

TomFord

How about the rear fittings, anyone finding cracks on them? IMG_1591 2.JPG

Hard to tell if it is a crack of just the edge of the tube. Doesn't look like its welded all the way around

johusky

Resurrecting this old thread. 1999 A1A less than 700TT, I have owned this airplane six years, it has about 75 hours on floats. Stored in hanger since I have owned. Two days ago my A&P removed the horizontal stabilizer tail feathers to have them recovered. I can’t tell you how lucky I am that my left side stabilizer didn’t fail in flight.

he found the rear attach tube on the left side of the aircraft had completely broken into two pieces. The only thing holding the pieces together was the fabric glue wrapped around the tube. He was able to remove the horizontal stabilizer without the broken piece coming out! Again it was held in by the fabric only. You could not see the break at all.

Aviat and the local FSDO office have been notified. My A&P is going to have his other husky customers aircraft further inspected. I would encourage everyone to review how this AD has been complied with on your aircraft. Do they loosen the flying wire on top? Do they remove the tail brace underneath?

I will try to post pictures later.

Joe