Pinky Rings??

DStewart

Thanks! Just for clarification and transparency, did you take that Pinky ring off and install it on each new Husky?? Or did you wrangle a new Pinky Ring now and then?:)
I'll fess up I think at one time we had one on both Huskys. When I traded KD in for WY I delivered her to N Dakota, gave her a kiss goodbye and snatched the pinky ring off and took it with me for WY. When I sold 86C I left it on. Two big mistakes, selling the plane and giving up the pinky ring.

Slinger

Pinky Rings present a bit of a conundrum. They are a time consuming to make (15 minutes or so). I could make a couple of fixtures to speed things along some, but that's not worthwhile for a dozen or so. My free "productive time" is quite limited, on the other hand, I enjoy machining things. So:

How many would like a free PR if they were again available? Show of hands please?

Note: PR's are not approved for use on certified aircraft.
Bumper, Do you still have Pinky Rings available?

belloypilot

Finally got a brief window for my new PR install. Along with a bit of test flying before and after. First off, until now I had never been accused of having too large of a "shaft". Had to use a bit of emery paper to carefully "massage" it for snug but proper fit of said PR. Did TD's dynamic pitot system check and had negligible error. I confess to having tried the O-ring mod and that seemed to have increased the cruise indicated speeds 3-4mph. The PR was about the same. Therefore, I would say that it worked as Bumper had intended. With an elegant and sanitary application. Thank you again Sir for your insight and efforts for this rowdy group of pilots.

I took me a while but I managed to get mine installed a few days ago. The instructions were great, it went on with a slight bit of oil and minimal pressure with the installation tool. It works very well. Gives me about the same static pressure and cruise speed correction as the o-ring/tape fix, but much more accurate at lower air speeds approaching stall. I’d say it’s within 1-2 mph throughout the range but more testing would be required to confirm that. It’s certainly better than stock, and better than the fix I had before that looked like a poorly dressed field wound. This looks more like a prosthetic that would require a degree of intimacy to discover :). Well done, and Thank You Bumper!

Paul Collins

Yes, thank you Bumper!! We have no idea how these got on the airplane. Probably due to those darn birds that fly around the Frank Church wilderness. They put so many things on our Huskies!? Real pests.
Paul Collins
N337DP

Clifford

I was late replying to the beginning of this thread and was going to volunteer some help. I have a Hardinge HC Chucker in our hangar and could make a run of Pinky Rings very easily. It sounds like Bumper is using a standard lathe; it would be much easier for me to mass produce them. So if our group is out of them just speak up and I'll make 5 or 10 or 20. I'll need to go back and find the drawing and dims.

bumper

Bumper, Do you still have Pinky Rings available?
I was late replying to the beginning of this thread and was going to volunteer some help. I have a Hardinge HC Chucker in our hangar and could make a run of Pinky Rings very easily. It sounds like Bumper is using a standard lathe; it would be much easier for me to mass produce them. So if our group is out of them just speak up and I'll make 5 or 10 or 20. I'll need to go back and find the drawing and dims.
Clifford,

Thanks for the kind offer. I still have 10 or so left from the last batch, so good for now. Will post the dimensions later, though I think they are scattered in this thread - grin.