Takeoff and Landing Techniques

tbienz

This past weekend I tried the takeoff with second notch of flaps and pulling to 3rd when the tail rises. At least in my plane (A-1) the plane wasn’t quite ready to fly so when I pulled the flaps to 3rd notch it came off the ground but briefly settled again before getting airborne for good. I’ve been “popping” from clean to full and that seems to give me a bit faster acceleration and a more positive break with the ground, but I have not gotten out and measured/compared the ground run.
it has helped in sticky snow to “pop” me into ground effect.

tbienz

Won’t the plane accelerate to takeoff speed faster clean than at full flaps?
Just thinking about it intuitively, if the plane will fly at a given speed in 3-point with full flaps, it seems like it would get to that speed faster with the accelerate clean and Pop to full flaps technique.

belloypilot

I did more testing a few days ago and still find shorter takeoff rolls by popping flaps when light and CG is in the forward half of the envelope. Heavy and aft, better with full flaps from standing start. I find pulling on flaps when the deck angle is almost, but not quite horizontal to be the best timing. What I like best about starting without flaps is cleaner air flow over the tail so I can have less TW contact on rough surfaces. That’s usually more of a consideration for me than the +/- 25’ of ground roll.

belloypilot

But at full flaps your load on the tailwheel is much less than clean
When I start with no flaps its with the stick full forward and the tail comes up quickly. With full flaps and taking off in 3 point attitude the TW is rolling for longer. It’s probably true that full flaps and stick full forward the TW comes up quicker than with no flaps, but that’s not the take-off technique that was being described above. Especially when heavy with an aft CG. I’ll have to try that next time I’m playing around. My thinking is that its prop wash more so than air speed that lifts the tail and the flaps seem to rob some of that.

Snowbirdxx

With flaps down the center of lift is moving backwards. If you leave the tail low with flaps down, you have less load on the spring assy.

Jeb

Tom, so you’re saying the husky doesn’t work by juju beans or arbitrary magic and therefore we should be able to make sense of its behavior?

That is a relief!

Snowbirdxx

Too offen Demonstranted without the Intention to do so.

But there is some magic in flying the Husky as shown years ago in Cedar mills. I WS THERE ON THE hUSKY FLY IN WHEN A GUY SHOWED UP WITHA hUSKY THAT DID NOT FLY STRAGGHT: tHE TRIM TAB WAS BENT )= DEG AND STILL IT DID NOT HELP: i TOLD THE PILOT THE TRIMTAB NEEDS TO BE STRAIGHT BUT THE DEMON POSESSING HOS PLANE NEEDS TO BE DRIVEN OUT OF IT: i SAW THAT THE RUDDER RETURN SPRING ON THE rh REAR PEDAD WAS WRAPPED WITH THE CONNECTOR; WHICH i LOOSENED WITHOUT THE PILOT NOTICING WHAT i DID: THEN i TOLD HIM THAT i HAVE TO FLY HIS PLANE FROM THE FRONT SEAT TO DRIVE THE DEMON OU: WE FLEW WITH HIM IN THE BACK SEAT: tHE PLANE ALMOST FLEW SRAIGHT; i JUST HAD TO GRAB THE LH SPRING, PULL ON IT TO LENGTHEN IT A BIT: THEN I SPOKE OMEN MAGIG WORDS AND LANDED: tOLD HIM TO TRY THE PLANE NOW: HE DID AND NEVER CAME CLOSER THAN 10 FT TO ME:::::: He never got the idea what really happened but whe was happy with the plane.

Last edited:

jimhusky

Too offen Demonstranted without the Intention to do so.

But there is some magic in flying the Husky as shown years ago in Cedar mills. I WS THERE ON THE hUSKY FLY IN WHEN A GUY SHOWED UP WITHA hUSKY THAT DID NOT FLY STRAGGHT: tHE TRIM TAB WAS BENT )= DEG AND STILL IT DID NOT HELP: i TOLD THE PILOT THE TRIMTAB NEEDS TO BE STRAIGHT BUT THE DEMON POSESSING HOS PLANE NEEDS TO BE DRIVEN OUT OF IT: i SAW THAT THE RUDDER RETURN SPRING ON THE rh REAR PEDAD WAS WRAPPED WITH THE CONNECTOR; WHICH i LOOSENED WITHOUT THE PILOT NOTICING WHAT i DID: THEN i TOLD HIM THAT i HAVE TO FLY HIS PLANE FROM THE FRONT SEAT TO DRIVE THE DEMON OU: WE FLEW WITH HIM IN THE BACK SEAT: tHE PLANE ALMOST FLEW SRAIGHT; i JUST HAD TO GRAB THE LH SPRING, PULL ON IT TO LENGTHEN IT A BIT: THEN I SPOKE OMEN MAGIG WORDS AND LANDED: tOLD HIM TO TRY THE PLANE NOW: HE DID AND NEVER CAME CLOSER THAN 10 FT TO ME:::::: He never got the idea what really happened but whe was happy with the plane.
Tom,
You should be able to sell your magic! Maybe setup stands at fly-ins!
Jim J.

trapper

I was messing around performing short field landings last week and found a new way to me. On final with 3 notches and minimum throttle around 50 knot on final a little behind the power curve I found that a little blast of throttle around 10 feet off the deck gave me the shortest landing. I know others have done it before but I never tried the technique before and it worked great

trapper

It was by accident for me! It bagged out at the last second and I quickly added power. Dont know if I could repeat it!

Ak Kurt

I was messing around performing short field landings last week and found a new way to me. On final with 3 notches and minimum throttle around 50 knot on final a little behind the power curve I found that a little blast of throttle around 10 feet off the deck gave me the shortest landing. I know others have done it before but I never tried the technique before and it worked great
Be careful with this technique, only do this in calm wind conditions and no thermals.

Kurt

Reactions: Jeb