Root Ranch Fly-In 2022

Paul Collins

It drains pretty quickly and it is grass. You just want to stay on the strip if you go to the north end. I'll check it out a few days before.
Paul Collins
N337DP

Somebody from Northern Idaho called me after a previous post about flying before and to the Root Ranch. Whoever it is I apologize! I just can't find my notes with your name and number. Could you give me another call?

Thanks,
Scott

Our plan is to met at Nampa on Tuesday, then head out on Wednesday. Maybe go to Johnson Creek first. Then Root Ranch. We're kinda flexible.

tbienz

Friend of mine here in Laramie was thinking about joining me at the Root Ranch but he’s afraid his plane won’t be able to take off. I told him I’d check with the group as I really don’t know.
He has a Cessna 140 taildragger in very nice condition. It has 100hp, normally aspirated O-200. I’m assuming it would be fine as it will probably be pretty cool. But what do you guys think? The Root is relatively high.

Oryx

Friend of mine here in Laramie was thinking about joining me at the Root Ranch but he’s afraid his plane won’t be able to take off. I told him I’d check with the group as I really don’t know.
He has a Cessna 140 taildragger in very nice condition. It has 100hp, normally aspirated O-200. I’m assuming it would be fine as it will probably be pretty cool. But what do you guys think? The Root is relatively high.
I think the key to anything that’s low powered like that is to:
pack light,
fly when it’s cool.

Paul Collins

Root Ranch is 5400 feet elevated and about 2,000 feet long. If you can take off north, clear the trees and stay level you will make it to the Pacific Ocean (well, if you have a gas hose attached!). The problem is clearing the trees at the north end. The report you see on www.Eye-N-Sky.net does estimate density altitude. So, you are absolutely correct - pack light and fly cool. The temp at the Root right now is 42.2 and the density altitude is estimated at 6200 feet (Sunday at 10 pm mountain time).
One option is to fly to the Flying B which is at 3654 foot elevation and is right now at 56 degrees and an estimated density altitude of 4700 feet - and get a ride from some other Husky pilot to the Root. It's been done!
So, do the math and see if you feel good about it.
We would appreciate seeing your bird, but we want you to keep it in good condition. If you parked it at the "B" it would be a good reason for us to stop there, look at the plane, do some fishing, have lunch, and come up with some stories. No charge to you for doing that - including the tie down!
Paul Collins
N337DP

bumper

Warning for Root Ranch Weather!

Paul Collins sent the following, as he's having problems logging on here:

Bumper, the weather station just changed the predictions and it looks like tonight will be ok but tomorrow afternoon will get nasty. If folks want to stay there for a while just stay after Friday noon. Please send a note that if they show up tonight, as long as they should plan to stay at the Root is tomorrow morning. Sorry about this but I don’t want folks getting stuck. I’ll call Thanks!! PCC

To be clear, it's not recommended to stay at the Root beyond Friday morning!

Awellslo

Bummer. I decided not to come. Just don't want to get stuck there - although I do love it there. If it's not weather, it's smoke. So dejected. Can we do another one this 2022?

I canceled this morning. I checked the weather and it said I won’t be home Saturday if I go today.
It would be fantastic if we could do it later this year.

rnorty

I canceled this morning. I checked the weather and it said I won’t be home Saturday if I go today.
It would be fantastic if we could do it later this year.
Such a bummer. Would love to see another one happen this summer. If there’s anything I can do to help facilitate!

Paul Collins

Thanks Bumper! I had some work to do at several airstrips today so hit them on the way back. The weather was actually not bad into the afternoon, but the predictions are nasty. We did have a great time Thursday and Friday morning! Nice air and temps - at least in the morning.
Thanks again,
Paul Collins
N337DP
IMG_3506.JPG

Paul Collins

OK folks! This year's Fly-In was shortened due to the upcoming weather, but as usual, Husky pilots had a good time. Above is a picture of the planes that showed up - at one point 15! A good round number.
I will see about setting up for next year, and let's hope for a different weather pattern. This year has been one or two nice days with three to four rainy/snowy days. Interesting. We are seeing some pretty high stream flows - i.e. Middle Fork of the Salmon at 8,000 cfs. Cranking.
So, thanks for all that showed up and we will get dates for next year.
Thanks for your understanding.
Paul Collins
N337DP

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
It was a great time Paul. Thanks for hosting, albeit, just a bit short. I barely made it back to Pasco as weather was pretty scuzzy over the blues and around LaGrande.

jimhusky

OK folks! This year's Fly-In was shortened due to the upcoming weather, but as usual, Husky pilots had a good time. Above is a picture of the planes that showed up - at one point 15! A good round number.
I will see about setting up for next year, and let's hope for a different weather pattern. This year has been one or two nice days with three to four rainy/snowy days. Interesting. We are seeing some pretty high stream flows - i.e. Middle Fork of the Salmon at 8,000 cfs. Cranking.
So, thanks for all that showed up and we will get dates for next year.
Thanks for your understanding.
Paul Collins
N337DP
Paul,
Even shortened. it was another great get together with other Husky owners and beautiful scenery. As always, the staff did an awesome job and their cooking was delicious. You are a GREAT host!
Thank you,
Jim Jordan
N73GT

P.S. I looked in my logbooks and this was my 10th Root Ranch in the past 18 years, and they have all been GREAT thanks to Paul’s hard work.

Last edited:

tbienz

Paul, thanks very much for hosting again, and also for picking up the tab on breakfast for everyone on Friday, very much appreciated.
Finley (border collie) and I had a great time Yesterday despite the impending weather. We landed near and hiked to 3 different hot springs for soaking along with several other strips just for fun. Last flight before leaving was from Johnson Creek to the Root. Some pretty severe hits of turbulence threw things out of the seat-back storage and Finley probably bounced off the roof and back to his pad. When I looked back afterward, he still had his Mutt-Muffs on but they were sideways and he looked like he wondered what he had done wrong to have me do that to him! I ended up packing up my camp and leaving last night around 19:30 just as it was starting to rain at the Root. Picked up a tailwind at 13,500 on the way home and was seeing 130kts over the ground at times as I flew over the Tetons and the Wind River Range as the sun set; gorgeous! I almost never have tailwinds so I was thankful. Got back to Laramie at midnight.
Shorter than I was hoping, but still lots of fun. Looking forward to next time…hopefully no smoke or rain, but “ya gotta take the good with the bad” and make the most of it!