Root Ranch Fly-In 2022

tbienz

Also, I heard from the staff at the Root that one of our members had some kind of incident at Big Creek with their Husky and the staff had to pack up the tent and camping equipment. Anyone know what happened? I hope everyone involved was uninjured.

Paul Collins

Well, it was reported to be a take-off incident at Big Creek and the plane ended up upside down into the fence. I don't really know the details. There was some LifeFlight and some hospital however they did go home. I don't want to give any names out, but that seems to get around.
The good news is that the injuries were not life-threatening.
Be careful!
Paul Collins
20220610_151945.jpg

Paul Collins

Paul, thanks very much for hosting again, and also for picking up the tab on breakfast for everyone on Friday, very much appreciated.
Finley (border collie) and I had a great time Yesterday despite the impending weather. We landed near and hiked to 3 different hot springs for soaking along with several other strips just for fun. Last flight before leaving was from Johnson Creek to the Root. Some pretty severe hits of turbulence threw things out of the seat-back storage and Finley probably bounced off the roof and back to his pad. When I looked back afterward, he still had his Mutt-Muffs on but they were sideways and he looked like he wondered what he had done wrong to have me do that to him! I ended up packing up my camp and leaving last night around 19:30 just as it was starting to rain at the Root. Picked up a tailwind at 13,500 on the way home and was seeing 130kts over the ground at times as I flew over the Tetons and the Wind River Range as the sun set; gorgeous! I almost never have tailwinds so I was thankful. Got back to Laramie at midnight.
Shorter than I was hoping, but still lots of fun. Looking forward to next time…hopefully no smoke or rain, but “ya gotta take the good with the bad” and make the most of it!
Glad you made it back in good - if not bumped - shape! Yes, it got turbulent and very wet!! Tomorrow looks to be even worse. What strips did yo hit? There were a lot of Huskies around.
I'll be getting next year schedule soon, so stay in touch.
Paul Collins

tbienz

I started by flying to Thomas Creek. Hiked down past the Middle Fork Ranch, across their bridge and then up the Salmon to the hot springs on the edge of the river. Finley enjoyed chasing ground squirrels. Then back to plane and little exploring at the airstrip. Flew down to Mahoney Creek but just landed and took off again. Next was Lower Loon. Left the plane and hiked up the creek. There is a new (to me) store there at the ranch with ice cream and smoothies. Some kayakers camped down at the Salmon hiked their kayaks up the creek and were descending the rapids as I hiked upriver. Soaked in the hot springs next to the creek and took a few plunges into the creek...damn cold, but fun when combined with hot springs on the creekside. Then on to the Flying B for an attempted lunch. Landed and walked into the ranch and Finley went swimming in the river. Walked all around inside and outside and the place was deserted...no staff anywhere. Food all around for the taking, but it felt a lot like stealing so I left it and went back to the airstrip. Took a swim in the Salmon River next to the airstrip and then launched (saw a few people on horseback...maybe that's where all the staff went). Flew up Big Creek and climbed so as to cross the pass to Johnson Creek. By that time in the afternoon things were getting a bit gusty and turbulent. Hiked up the mountain to Warm Springs and soaked in the tub after closing off the outflow and letting it fill up. After hiking back down the mountain and taking a final soak in another creek (refreshing snowmelt!) Finley and I made the rounds at Johnson Creek talking with folks (some of whom were initially planning on going to the Root but decided to stay at Johnson instead). People were covering tents and tables with tarps in preparation for the deluge. We then took off and headed back to the Root (with the previously mentioned turbulence).
So a pretty full day despite the shortened visit. And just an FYI: there is a charge for plane camping at the Root ($45/night) but well worth it. Great spot indeed. And Beth's meals were fantastic as usual.

Paul Collins

Glad you had a great time/day! You are probably the most energetic of all of the Husky drivers!!
As for the "B", they should have been there to at least feed you. I'll check into that. Glad you made it home.
The charge for the overnight at the Root is new to the Husky crowd. Before I resigned from the board of directors for the ranches I could get that covered, but since I am now a second (or third) class citizen, no such luck. Still a good bargain I think!
Glad you made it home in one piece and let's hope for good weather for next year. Still, you made the best of the day!!
Paul Collins
N337DP

trapper

The photo shows how strong the tubing is around the pilot and passenger. I would be toast in my F1 if it ended upside down like this. Hope they are okay

Flying Dave

Damn. I hate seeing pics like that for multiple reasons. Looks like there is not much left that isn’t bent. I too hope everyone is doing well.
Be careful out there!!

tbienz

I don‘t think the DA was very high. It was relatively cool. However there was a pretty good breeze blowing, especially later in the day and some of the strips had pretty good gusts as the convective activity built. When I departed Lower Loon at midday i was hit by a strong gust from the left that might have been responsible for my right tire getting off the gravel into grass & rocks for a bit early in the takeoff roll as my tail hadn‘t come up yet and the gravel strip is quite narrow. Lots of little factors can contribute. When my tail did come up and I noticed my error I was pretty unhappy with my performance as there was a barb wire fence pretty close to my wing tip on the right side and some large rocks just off the gravel edge, but the soft tires absorbed those as though they weren’t there.
Until we hear from those involved, I suppose we’re all just guessing. Looks like loss of directional control due to a wind gust and departure from runway, striking a nearby buck-rail fence line and overturning. Thankful that there were no major injuries.

Paul Collins

We will get a full report when they are ready. Let's all learn from this - remember the quote;
"Good Judgement comes from experience - experience comes from bad judgement!"
I have proven this many, many times!!
Speaking of the weather variation - temp this morning at the Root Ranch is 30 degrees! BRRRR.
Paul Collins
N337DP

Mel Tiensvold

I had a great but brief time at the Root last weekend. Did not get my plane in the picture because I departed early Friday morning, darn. Glad I departed early, it was getting low before I arrived at 32S. The staff was great as well as the cooking. The $45 charge for camping was well worth it. We want to keep the operation going.

I was very impressed with the quality of the people attending. All exceptionally pleasant.

Mel

Snowbirdxx

I had a great but brief time at the Root last weekend. Did not get my plane in the picture because I departed early Friday morning, darn. Glad I departed early, it was getting low before I arrived at 32S. The staff was great as well as the cooking. The $45 charge for camping was well worth it. We want to keep the operation going.

I was very impressed with the quality of the people attending. All exceptionally pleasant.

Mel
Look at the klimate in this Forum, Excellent. If you Go to Others ones they are rude insulting and so in. WE d Like to Jeep flyhusky as IT IS.

DavePA11

How do you get a damaged airplane out of an airstrip in the back country where there are no roads? I assume root range as road access?

Paul Collins

If there is anything good with this one, it is that the road ends at Big Creek. So, they can truck things out. Close call.
As for the other "non-roaded" airstrips they use wrenches, airplanes and helicopters. Pretty expensive, but they get it done.
The guys that do this recovery tell some pretty interesting stories about dealing with the Forest Service though. Maybe I can get them to come tell us some of those stories.
Paul Collins
N337DP