Cruise speed

belloypilot

Where do you get fairings for the Airframes Alaska uncovered extended gear? John, Flew 507F today, WOW that is a terrific specimen! I want to say the flaps 30 stall with two people and 16 gallons of fuel was around 32 mph indicated. I've flown Carbon Cubs that slow but never a Husky!

Sounds impressive. I’m curious to know if that was power off and if there was any stall break. With a few recent changes and as long as I’m in the the back half of the CG envelope mine won’t break either in a power off or partial power stall. At one point I kept the stick full back and kept inching in power until I had full right rudder. Still no break but I did get a tiny bit of buffeting. I’m always curious how that compares to the stall behavior of other Huskys.

Mike

DuntoDawg

It was with partial power, I like to fly slow flight and see where the horn comes on and then when the Buffett starts and then the aerodynamic stall. I will write down exact numbers tomorrow but I think it was about 15 inches of manifold pressure to hold the speed that triggered the horn, about 5 mph slower got some tailplane buffet and 1 mph a very gentle stall break. I was teaching from the back seat and will write down exact speeds and power tomorrow

DuntoDawg

Dave,
It is light one, Lycon ported and polished engine, etc. My step son is an IA and he built it, was ground looped, etc. He made the fairings, the gear is extended cub gear with AOSS shocks. The Seaplanes gear has bigger tubes to would take custom fairings, but pretty easy. Worth at least 5 mph.
Did you get the pkg from Thomas I sent you?
I should not have sold it, but have another one here than is even more custom, but an A1. Has 35's and belly pod. Slower with those.
Were you able to check them out in the Husky?
John
I did get the package, thank you! I can't believe how smooth that engine is, now I know why. Your step son did a terrific job and the AOSS gear is amazing.
We did two flights today and he hasn't flown tailwheel In a long time and his feet are taking awhile to wake up. Have only done three points so far, will introduce wheel landings tomorrow. I'm going to offer to ferry it to Texas for them because the winds can get tough on a ferry flight and I'd hate anything to happen to him or the plane. I've never flown one as nice, I do like it better than the brand new one with the IO390. When I got up to fuel it was shocked it flew that slow without VG's!
Number 4 CHT tended to get warm on climb out, saw 430 at one point. Also the cranking amps seem a little low almost felt like the battery wasn't going to start it but volts were good. Ever see that?

belloypilot

It was with partial power, I like to fly slow flight and see where the horn comes on and then when the Buffett starts and then the aerodynamic stall. I will write down exact numbers tomorrow but I think it was about 15 inches of manifold pressure to hold the speed that triggered the horn, about 5 mph slower got some tailplane buffet and 1 mph a very gentle stall break. I was teaching from the back seat and will write down exact speeds and power tomorrow

Interesting. VGs?

belloypilot

Vortex Generators

I should have been clearer. I was wondering if it had VGs, but then I saw in your next post that it doesn’t. Mine does and its the only Husky I’ve ever flown I’m always interested to learn about the difference. Thanks.

johnaz

I did get the package, thank you! I can't believe how smooth that engine is, now I know why. Your step son did a terrific job and the AOSS gear is amazing.
We did two flights today and he hasn't flown tailwheel In a long time and his feet are taking awhile to wake up. Have only done three points so far, will introduce wheel landings tomorrow. I'm going to offer to ferry it to Texas for them because the winds can get tough on a ferry flight and I'd hate anything to happen to him or the plane. I've never flown one as nice, I do like it better than the brand new one with the IO390. When I got up to fuel it was shocked it flew that slow without VG's!
Number 4 CHT tended to get warm on climb out, saw 430 at one point. Also the cranking amps seem a little low almost felt like the battery wasn't going to start it but volts were good. Ever see that?

johnaz

Dave,
I told them the battery was on its last legs, one needs to turn on some lights to wake it up, but should be 14.1 volts, now down to about 13. told them to buy a new battery, think they did. And that one is not an approved one, told them that, new ones are TSO'd, but need filed approval, doubt they can get it down south. EarthX batt with vents now.
Doubt they will appreciate the details of light weight on the Husky, that is why it flies slow, most do not understand that, glad you do.
And VG's on the new wing are not good in my view, have them on the A!, make a difference there, but not on new wing.
I hope they like the Husky, but not sure why they wanted it, thinking it ill probably get wrecked as they have no tailwheel time. Hate to see a Husky go to someone who may not grasp tailwheel.
The IO-390 was nose heavy and weight heavy, they fly terrible that way. Aviat needs to fix the empty weight and the weight forward on the bigger engine planes. Only 180HP one is better in my view, weight off the nose, but still about 50lbs too much from factory. They could fix that.
Let me know how it goes with the training and if you can take it to TX, good idea.
My direct email is jschwamm@cox .net.
John

Last edited:

mritter

John....Looks like you sold 507F and it’s coming to Austin? Curious who the buyer is as I’m in Austin as well. You probably don’t remember but we met a few years ago at one of Starr’s hangar Christmas parties. I was with Hon K.

Last edited:

johnaz

John....Looks like you sold 507F and it’s coming to Austin? Curious who the buyer is as I’m in Austin as well. You probably don’t remember but we met a few years ago at one of Starr’s hangar Christmas parties. I was with Hon K.
Yes, remember you. The buyer is Barry Williamson, came to buy my Kodiak and saw the Husky and had to have it too. Should not have sold it, but package deal. He said he would have it on his ranch in the area. No tailwheel time, so hope it goes well.
John

Proteus

I do think people forget how much fun a husky can be when really light. I've only experience of my own. and I'm often two up, with lots of fuel and dog / baggage. I had reason to make a short flight out to help mow another strip for a few hours the other day and did some practice circuits.

With just me, and about 15 gallons of fuel it was so much fun.

belloypilot

I do think people forget how much fun a husky can be when really light. I've only experience of my own. and I'm often two up, with lots of fuel and dog / baggage. I had reason to make a short flight out to help mow another strip for a few hours the other day and did some practice circuits.

With just me, and about 15 gallons of fuel it was so much fun.

Exactly. Even though they handle heavy loads pretty well, with my far less that perfect technique I can feel the performance difference every 50 lbs makes and every 100 lbs change the places I can get in and out of. What impresses me the most about these airplanes is they are far more versatile than one would think from appearance alone.

jkalus

Aviat’s numbers are for the bare bones light Husky on 8.00 tires, but more importantly at sea level on a standard day. OGD to BOI in the summer is going to hurt your performance.

FWIW, I own a 2004 A1-B with stock gear and fairings, usually running 26" GY, and have a heated pitot. No belly pod. My A/C is IFR, with a Garmin 430W, with a 496 with XM weather slaved to that, and a factory-installed Ryan TCAD. GTX345 for ADS-B. I typically fly at 1500 asl, at 65% power, usually showing 105 mph IAS when traveling with full fuel and 2 people with some luggage. If I do 75% power and go higher, I can usually get about 115 to 120 mph or more. When I file IFR, I file for 95kts, even though it tends to go a bit faster than that. When I put the 8.50 wheels on, I tend to pick up 3-5 mph. I have the tires mounted on two sets of wheels, so changeover is quick, and I have two W&B calc sheets in the plane.

All this from memory, but I have flown it about 1100 hours in the last 13 years, including across the US a couple of times (once from NC to AK and back), and around the eastern US and the Midwest. I do about 10% in IMC when traveling on long cross countries. I bought it for versatility and have not been disappointed. Only trouble I have had with it really is the VM-1000 which might be expensive to replace - so JPI has rebuilt it twice. Still getting good compression on all 4 cylinders. Oh, and it has the stock Hartzell 72" prop and stock exhaust.

Mostly I like to fly it low and slow at light weight, and almost all takeoffs and landings are short ones. No I can't get the distances that are "factory advertised," but easily less than 400-500 ft landings and 250-300 takeoffs when I work at it. The Husky is even more fun than my J3! And way more practical...

Last edited:

Proteus

I just did a trip down country and back, about 6 hours in total. 23", 2350rpm, 8.0gph, 1-6k ft, 31's, extended gear with fairing, 76" metal prop. Cruise was generally 100-105mph IAS

Works great for what I need, as I was able to drop into a 300m field, land and avoid the 2/3rd's of the field which had just had manure spread on it. Extra speed is always nice, but being able to drop in directly to your friend's house is magic.

Attachments

• huskyands1.jpg
    huskyands1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 69

johnaz

Anyone have a late model 180 HP Husky, stock configuration, say newer than 2015 range, with 8.50 tires, Hartzell Trailblazer who can give us lower altitude cruise speed at say 2350 MP and 2300 range rpm?

I am just curious what a new wing late model does for low level cruise, say under 3-4000 foot elevation.
Or one with 31's for comparison to 8.50's.
Thanks for input.
John

VictorBravo

A little bit apples and oranges, but FWIW. 2013 A1C-200, Wipline 2100 amphibs, MT 2 blade Prop.

2350 RPM/2380MP yields about 9.1gph (ROP), and approx. 95mph cruise at 1,900msl/1,000 agl, on a 83degree F sunny Minnesota day.

I don't have the exact numbers, but as I recall, similar setups when wearing 8.50s resulted in cruise of around 125mph. However, it will be a few months before I go back to that configuration, so unable to confirm.

Best,

Brian

Mark boyer

A little bit apples and oranges, but FWIW. 2013 A1C-200, Wipline 2100 amphibs, MT 2 blade Prop.

2350 RPM/2380MP yields about 9.1gph (ROP), and approx. 95mph cruise at 1,900msl/1,000 agl, on a 83degree F sunny Minnesota day.

I don't have the exact numbers, but as I recall, similar setups when wearing 8.50s resulted in cruise of around 125mph. However, it will be a few months before I go back to that configuration, so unable to confirm.

Best,

Brian
Hi all,
A1B (180HP) power-flow with Wip amphibs, Hartzell 80, 2300 RPM 22-23 MP 95 MPH IAS 1500-2000 MSL 85-95F, usually lean to 8-8.5 gph......100# under gross.

groshel

2000 A-1B, 80" MT, 8.50's, stock exhaust, stock gear, 1550# operating weight.

This evening , smooth.....80F - 2500' PA / 4400' DA

119 mph IAS / 127 mph TAS @ 23"/2300 RPM, 7.4gph @ 100F ROP or 1395 F....that shows to be 65% power on my CGR-30P.

I'm happy with that....

Funny thing happened that shows how much temp makes a difference..while cruising near a ridge with some lights but steady winds at altitude and no sign of ridge lift, I hit an area where the temp dropped abruptly by 4 degrees for about a mile or so...maybe 30 seconds...IAS jumped to 123 mpg for that period.

Chris

With those weights, and assuming about 1450 empty, you’d be pretty much at gross - right? What gear configuration and wheel size? What prop are you running?

I have a 1999 A1-B. 1370 empty on 31” Bushwheels. Just installed a dual Garmin G5 and been trying to correct the infamous pitot error problem some Huskys of my vintage have so doing lots of four-heading speed trials. With me (185), full fuel, and 25lbs baggage in the tail baggage compartment (just under 1900 lbs) I can consistently get 100 KTAS (knots, not MPH) at 4500’ burning 6.5 - 7 gph with power settings 23/2000. That’s a recent revelation for me. I used to run 22/2000 and 6.5 and get about 90 KTAS. That extra inch of MP lets me run much smoother at leaner mixtures with a notable increase in performance.

At those same power settings add 3-4 mph with 8.50 tires.

I have a limitation on my 76in prop of 2000-2250 RPM... been running 23 squared. never flipped it in all these years. Is there any negative in 1950 RPM 23in? 2000yr A-1B 180hrs O360