Cruise speed

tbienz

Not that I can think of. The engine won’t care. The “never over-square” thing is an OWT. You will probably be a bit slower and consume less fuel. Finances permitting, you should consider going with an MT Ultra or Trailblazer; they have no RPM limit and vastly improve the performance in every way.

Not that I can think of. The engine won’t care. The “never over-square” thing is an OWT. You will probably be a bit slower and consume less fuel. Finances permitting, you should consider going with an MT Ultra or Trailblazer; they have no RPM limit and vastly improve the performance in every way.
Yea I should have done that but maybe next year.

Proteus

I've still got the 76" metal prop on and have experimented a bit with 1900 rpm and higher mps, for me it's a bit smoother at 2300 so I tend to cruise roughly 2300rpm and 24". I keep dreaming about putting a nice MT ultra or TB on it, but I think I'll pop an autopilot on first.

belloypilot

I don’t believe there’s a concern running those power settings as far as the engine is concerned, but performance / efficiency will depend a lot on the prop and I have no experience with that 76” Hartzell. In general, though, most props are more efficient in cruise at increased pitch and decreased RPM.

Last edited:

Jeff Burnette

So i have had my 2018 A1C 180 hp for a little less than two years now. Just did two x countries in the last
two weeks, about 2.6 to 2.7 each way. Altitudes between 4000" and 10,500 feet, never saw more than
105 mph at 75% power or less, unless I was in a dive:) So where do all these 130 to 140 mph cruise stories
come from? Including the Aviat specs? At 9,500 with me, 220 lbs, full fuel and 200 lbs of cargo I never got
above 100 mph. WTF?
I am running 35" tires with pod and I can square it at 24 to 25 and easily get 105 in Alaska at 1000 ft.

Rick Porter

I believe it at 1000 MSL, the ground here is between 4000 and 10,000 MSL. Doesn't matter anymore, sold the Husky and bought an
XCub, flys faster with 29s by about 20 mph indicated, lands slower at 45 to 50 mph on final, climbs much better and has a higher
usable.

johnaz

I believe it at 1000 MSL, the ground here is between 4000 and 10,000 MSL. Doesn't matter anymore, sold the Husky and bought an
XCub, flys faster with 29s by about 20 mph indicated, lands slower at 45 to 50 mph on final, climbs much better and has a higher
usable.
Rick,
I think I bought your old Husky, N49HU? Added leather on seats with red stitching to dress it up, removed fabric. bough tit sight unseen, friend inspected it for me as I was in Alaska. It will be in Carefree once I get it.
We have mutual friend in Kurt.
I will get it next week, had Aviat install the fairings on the extended gear, hoping that will add some speed. Did on my other Husky in AK, but is has 35's and belly pod, so only does about 100mph at best., 5mph added with fairings on extended cub gear.
Hoping for the same or more on factory extended gear. The owner put a hole in the elevator with a tug, so Aviat recovered the elevator too.
Friend who had a Husky before bought an XCub and ground looped it twice, sold it and went back to new Husky. Nearly your paint scheme. Glad you like the XCub, to me the spring gear is not how i want to fly. Even the Aviat factory gear is not great compared to extended cub gear with AOSS, but that gear slows it all down, but no bounce.
John

Rick Porter

Rick,
I think I bought your old Husky, N49HU? Added leather on seats with red stitching to dress it up, removed fabric. bough tit sight unseen, friend inspected it for me as I was in Alaska. It will be in Carefree once I get it.
We have mutual friend in Kurt.
I will get it next week, had Aviat install the fairings on the extended gear, hoping that will add some speed. Did on my other Husky in AK, but is has 35's and belly pod, so only does about 100mph at best., 5mph added with fairings on extended cub gear.
Hoping for the same or more on factory extended gear. The owner put a hole in the elevator with a tug, so Aviat recovered the elevator too.
Friend who had a Husky before bought an XCub and ground looped it twice, sold it and went back to new Husky. Nearly your paint scheme. Glad you like the XCub, to me the spring gear is not how i want to fly. Even the Aviat factory gear is not great compared to extended cub gear with AOSS, but that gear slows it all down, but no bounce.
John

That's the one, Kurt was asking me about it. Steve at Aviat said he would take it up to check out the performance, he also mentioned
the fairings possibly adding 5 mph, those weren't available when I bought it. Enjoy. I have only put about 10 hrs on the XCub with
numerous dirt strip landings and seems pretty well behaved so far.

Rick

johnaz

That's the one, Kurt was asking me about it. Steve at Aviat said he would take it up to check out the performance, he also mentioned
the fairings possibly adding 5 mph, those weren't available when I bought it. Enjoy. I have only put about 10 hrs on the XCub with
numerous dirt strip landings and seems pretty well behaved so far.

Rick
Rick,
I will get the Husky next week in Afton. Will be about my 6th Husky over the past 20 years or so.
How slow does the XCub fly when trying to land short? Of course cruise is faster than a Husky. Just wondered about the low end performance, can you elaborate? How short does it land at lower elevations?
What is real cruise on it?
Thanks,
John

Rick Porter

Rick,
I will get the Husky next week in Afton. Will be about my 6th Husky over the past 20 years or so.
How slow does the XCub fly when trying to land short? Of course cruise is faster than a Husky. Just wondered about the low end performance, can you elaborate? How short does it land at lower elevations?
What is real cruise on it?
Thanks,
John

Flying at altitude, 7k, straight and level at 37 mph configured, I have been using 45 to 50 on final, still working on my "short" landings.
Cruise I have been seeing at 8k msl or so is 115 mph indicated, 130ish true, with 29in Bushwheels.

Snowbirdxx

Nice numbers, but could you kindly check those numbers with TAS and GS.
If the static is not 100 percent correct all the Asi readings are worthless. Thanks
What is Our cruise powersetting?

johnaz

Flying at altitude, 7k, straight and level at 37 mph configured, I have been using 45 to 50 on final, still working on my "short" landings.
Cruise I have been seeing at 8k msl or so is 115 mph indicated, 130ish true, with 29in Bushwheels.
I would think 115 mph at altitude is not really that fast compared to a Husky? My Husky in Alaska, on 35's with bellypod and extended cub gear/AOSS shocks hanging out does 100mph, and it seems slow to me. But Husky with stock gear and maybe 29's should do at least 110-115 mph? I just have not flown a Husky in a long time with stock covered gear.
I do not see 45-50 on final very slow for a Husky? XCub may fly a bit slower than Husky at 37mph, depending on how the weight is. What is actual/real empty weight on XCub?
What do other Husky guys think on speeds?
John

Last edited:

belloypilot

My 1999 A1-B is 1370 lbs empty on 31s and an ABW tailwheel. MT Ultra prop. VGs. Me and full fuel at 4500 ASL, 23” 2000 RPM, 7 gph, 115 mph true. I’ve done lots of speed testing and am very confident of that speed. Pretty sure it would be over 120 at 7-8K. I haven’t done much testing at higher power settings.

On Tom’s RF skis with 8.50s the numbers are nearly identical.

On 8.50s without skis add 3-4 mph TAS to those numbers.

I shoot for 55 mph indicated on short final with full flaps. With more practice I think I can get that a bit closer to 50. No doubt there are many on this board that could do better.

Rick Porter

I would think 115 mph at altitude is not really that fast compared to a Husky? My Husky in Alaska, on 35's with bellypod and extended cub gear/AOSS shocks hanging out does 100mph, and it seems slow to me. But Husky with stock gear and maybe 29's should do at least 110-115 mph? I just have not flown a Husky in a long time with stock covered gear.
I do not see 45-50 on final very slow for a Husky? XCub may fly a bit slower than Husky at 37mph, depending on how the weight is. What is actual/real empty weight on XCub?
What do other Husky guys think on speeds?
John

XCub, 1216 empty, 2300 gross. At altitude, 7 to 9k, in the Husky with 26s and non faired extended gear I was at 95 to 100 mph IAS,
2500 rpm, with me (220) and full fuel. 115 in the XCub on 29s. XCub also climbs much better, don't know why, basically the same
engine but if you look at both the XCub is a much cleaner airplane.

johnaz

XCub, 1216 empty, 2300 gross. At altitude, 7 to 9k, in the Husky with 26s and non faired extended gear I was at 95 to 100 mph IAS,
2500 rpm, with me (220) and full fuel. 115 in the XCub on 29s. XCub also climbs much better, don't know why, basically the same
Rick,
That seems really slow for a Husky. Maybe faired gear will be big deal. Not sure what is the issue but will find out soon. Maybe rigged a bit wrong, but cannot imagine 95-100 mph on stock Husky cruise, especially up higher. Would think more like 115 mph minimum.
Your XCub is nice and light, weight is the key to performance for getting in and out short.
Of course I never run mine at 2500 rpm for cruise, one finds the Hartzell Trailblazer is better dialed back a bit and run a bit oversquare on MP.

What do you other Husky guys have to say on cruise speeds?
John

MTV

Rick,
That seems really slow for a Husky. Maybe faired gear will be big deal. Not sure what is the issue but will find out soon. Maybe rigged a bit wrong, but cannot imagine 95-100 mph on stock Husky cruise, especially up higher. Would think more like 115 mph minimum.
Your XCub is nice and light, weight is the key to performance for getting in and out short.
Of course I never run mine at 2500 rpm for cruise, one finds the Hartzell Trailblazer is better dialed back a bit and run a bit oversquare on MP.

What do you other Husky guys have to say on cruise speeds?
John

But, again, Rick is reporting INDICATED airspeed on the Husky, which as has been noted several times in this thread, is often totally bogus on some Huskys. The three Huskys I flew regularly all cruised at around 110 to 115 mph at conservative power settings on all configurations.....29 Bushwheels, floats and skis.

MTV

johnaz

But, again, Rick is reporting INDICATED airspeed on the Husky, which as has been noted several times in this thread, is often totally bogus on some Huskys. The three Huskys I flew regularly all cruised at around 110 to 115 mph at conservative power settings on all configurations.....29 Bushwheels, floats and skis.

MTV
MTV,
Correct. One has to also see what the GPS speed shows to really know, in non wind conditions to verify.
Just hope the one Rick had, now mine is not a slow one. Still think the gear fairings will add about 5 mph as they did no my extended cub gear Husky. Lots of stuff hanging out there, safety cables, AOSS, cabanes.
John

johnaz

Rick,
Is your XCub the actual 1216 lb empty weight you quoted? Cub Crafters specs say that, but? Aviat advertises weight in 1200+ lb range, but none are in that these days, all over 1350lb at minimums from factory now days. Think originally with 8:00's and no avionics maybe!
What is your actual empty weight in XCub, not what factory spec says?
Just curious as Aviat is not even close on real airplane.
Thanks,
John