Cruise speed

Snowbirdxx

Will be flight testing the new Super SGS kit in the Dolomites and will post some pics about speed too. Have now my static calibrated pretty good by using the heated pitot tube.

Last edited:

Proteus

Just to add a note on gear fairings, I tested a simple covering over my extended gear and on the 31's I noticed nearly a 10mph indicated increase at my usual indicated cruise. I'd have to look back on my notes, but I think over a few flights I was seeing 8-10 difference,

johnaz

Will be flight eating the new Super SGS kit in the Dolomites and will post some pics about speed too. Have now my static calibrated pretty good by using the heated pitot tube.
Thomas,
What is the Super SGS kit? The strut fairings? Or?
Advise what it is and results.
Thanks,
John

johnaz

Rick,
Any chance you still have a set of keys for your old Husky? Only have one set, and none for the door lock.
Please advise.
Thanks,
John

David

Will be flight eating the new Super SGS kit in the Dolomites and will post some pics about speed too. Have now my static calibrated pretty good by using the heated pitot tube.
Thomas,
I too, like John, want to know what the new Super SGS is. I love my SGS so if the Super SGS is an upgrade, I am sure I probably want a set.
DAVID

MTV

I really liked the heated pitot MUCH better than the original. Airspeed readings were more accurate, not as many frozen pitot lines, and.....a heated pitot tube.

MTV

Snowbirdxx

While flying to the Dolomites for Super SGS testing I leveled off at 7000ft to check speeds. Standard Engine, Donaldson airfilter, MT Ultra, numerous fairings, 850 with pants, Scott 3200 with fairing

Both pics were taken after a 100ft descend with 200ft/min, then wait and trim.

First Pic 2510 RPM leaned a bit lean of peak, second 2000 RPM[ 9500, third 7000ft / 2000 rpm ft

Attachments

• 2510.jpg
    2510.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20200918_105838.jpg
    IMG_20200918_105838.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 2700.jpg
    2700.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 263

johnaz

As noted earlier, I bought the 2018 Husky Rick had. Picked it up a couple days ago in WY and flew it to AZ. It now has gear fairings on the factory extended gear. 26's, but soon going to 31's and baby bushwheel.

For now the speeds, indicated are about 103-5 at say 4000', at 2350 rpm and 23.5". But groundspeed on GPS in no wind is about 120mph. And if I open the inside static port, the indicated airspeed jumps to about 115 mph.
So this indicated is reading slow to me as true speeds are pretty good from what I have found. And these are with a bellypod, so maybe a couple mph or so there? May take it off to see if any big difference, has to be a bit slower with pod.

I am happy with the actual ground speeds as my other Husky's were with cub extended gear and AOSS and not nearly this fast.

Just wonder what do to to get higher indicated, but guess it really does not matter as it is faster than indicated by about 15mph range.

I did take off the side panel where airspeed plumbing runs down the left side of windshield, but all seemed connected properly.
Any other suggestions? Or just Aviat airspeeds read about 105mph range at 75% power range?
I do like the new trim, light controls like supercub now. My rudder springs fell off too, so not fighting any springs.

PS. I did remove the bellypod and speeds went up about 4mph, so with gear fairings and no pod at 2350 squared, 4000', no wind, ground speeds are in the high 120's. Indicated now about 107mph. Far faster than my extended cub gear/AOSS/bellypod Husky by at least 25 mph.
John

Last edited:

Jeff Burnette

I took off my cargo pod. Was not paying any attention to ground speeds but did notice more elevator authority static. Tail came right off the ground.

I find the best way to improve Husky ground speed is a big tailwind ;)

Attachments

• AFA046AB-DDFB-47DC-95F9-8945366989FA.jpeg
    AFA046AB-DDFB-47DC-95F9-8945366989FA.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 23

Katana

A1 empty weight 1285LB plus one 190lb guy and 30gal / 26inch tire/ MT110 / 22MP / 1900RPM (smooth as silk) / 7000FT indicated/ 40ºF /pressure alt 6670ft/ density alt 7048ft/ 103MPH IAS/ 114 MPH TAS no idea of fuel burn, forgot to check it, and sorry the glare of the sun on the panel.

Cheers!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-08-18 at 19.02.42.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-18 at 19.02.42.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Katana

Altwrnate static closed? Static check done?
alternate static closed, not heated pitot and just came back from annual so I figure they did pitot and static ports checks.
GS 98 Knots on the gps so 112,77 MPH sounds kind of right. My oil temp its a little low on that flight 156ºF. drives me nuts. yesterday at 3000ft on a 70ºf day was better at 170ºf.

Im going to do the test alternate static open next time.

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

The pitot chec they do on the annual only checks the system for leaks. A corrupt static will not be detected. Set your alt to an even number when on the runway. Takeoff and do a low pass at st least 120 mph over the point where you set the altimeter. Readings should be the same. Otherwise the static is corrupt. If the numbers are equal airspeed and altimeter as well as xpdr alt readouts are correct.

bumper

alternate static closed, not heated pitot and just came back from annual so I figure they did pitot and static ports checks.
GS 98 Knots on the gps so 112,77 MPH sounds kind of right. My oil temp its a little low on that flight 156ºF. drives me nuts. yesterday at 3000ft on a 70ºf day was better at 170ºf.

Im going to do the test alternate static open next time.

If you don't have the heated pitot, there's a likelihood the static source on the pitot tube is undercompensating for the "bow wave" off the front of the wing leading edge - the static port is too close to the wing. To confirm this, do Snowbird's static test:

Note the altimeter setting before take off. Take off and accelerate to 100 mph or so at 20 feet altitude or less. Note altimeter reading at speed (pull up prior to obstructions off the end of the runway :c). If you have not modified the pitot tube to correct for "bow wave" effect, when you check the altimeter it will be reading some 70 feet or so low. This bow wave error will also make your ASI read low.

Years ago, I made and gave away "Pinky Rings". The PR was a tapered aluminum sleeve, almost knife edge at the front and widening at the rear. The rear edge of the ring is installed even with the existing "step" in front of the static holes to increase the diameter of the step. This, in turn dynamically lowers the pressure felt at the static ports to further compensate for bow wave pressure. The PR corrects both altimeter and ASI

Some have corrected for the error by installing an O-ring or tape to increase the diameter of the lip.

Katana

If you don't have the heated pitot, there's a likelihood the static source on the pitot tube is undercompensating for the "bow wave" off the front of the wing leading edge - the static port is too close to the wing. To confirm this, do Snowbird's static test:

Note the altimeter setting before take off. Take off and accelerate to 100 mph or so at 20 feet altitude or less. Note altimeter reading at speed (pull up prior to obstructions off the end of the runway :c). If you have not modified the pitot tube to correct for "bow wave" effect, when you check the altimeter it will be reading some 70 feet or so low. This bow wave error will also make your ASI read low.

Years ago, I made and gave away "Pinky Rings". The PR was a tapered aluminum sleeve, almost knife edge at the front and widening at the rear. The rear edge of the ring is installed even with the existing "step" in front of the static holes to increase the diameter of the step. This, in turn dynamically lowers the pressure felt at the static ports to further compensate for bow wave pressure. The PR corrects both altimeter and ASI

Some have corrected for the error by installing an O-ring or tape to increase the diameter of the lip.
priceless info, and what a clever solution. I'll do the check, thnx.