Cruise speed

belloypilot

D2CA2A49-4124-454D-8C51-30E13B54E737.jpeg This is what the o-ring and electrical tape solution looks like. It’s held up for about 18 months including a Canadian winter. It passes the Thomas high speed, ground effect static test and all manner of speed tests conducted so far have it reading about 1% high in the 100 IAS range. I’m less certain of accuracy at lower speeds closer to stall. It might be closer to 5% high at those speeds but trickier to verify.

bumper

That's the "standard" non-heated pitot tube installed on most Huskies since Adam bit the apple. All the black stuff, O-ring and tape, were added to correct static pressure. The relatively rare heated pitot, installed on ships sold IFR equipped, looks different. Are there other types?

Flying Dave

Ours has a machined looking tip with the holes right behind the lip. Essentially I guess it’s similar to what one looks like I guess with the pinky ring. If it wasn’t in the shop 40 min away waiting for its new engine to arrive I’d go snap a pic…..

I’ll try and get up there soon get a pic.

Last edited:

bumper

Right, the pinky ring, being made on the lathe from aluminum tubing, doesn't look like an add-on when it's installed on the original pitot. So unless you are looking for it, it sort of blends in, simply increasing the diameter of the lip in front of the static holes.

johnaz

I just did the O ring/tape install on my pitot A-1. Changed my indicated airspeed up about 3-4mph. Now more accurate than before when checking with indicated/gps speeds when wind factored in. I have the Garmin 275, so get wind speeds to compare with indicated and gps groundspeeds.
Seems more accurate now with the O ring mod.
Had a pinky ring on another Husky, but would like another one if, I think Bumper, making them again.
John

Flying Dave

Right, the pinky ring, being made on the lathe from aluminum tubing, doesn't look like an add-on when it's installed on the original pitot. So unless you are looking for it, it sort of blends in, simply increasing the diameter of the lip in front of the static holes.
I’ll have to take a closer look. Maybe the previous owner put one on.

Snowbirdxx

Pinky ring or not, to know if the static is correct, you should do the above test.then you know that at least the transmitted altitude is correct. Airspeed still can be wrong if the system leks, but that is measuered in the pitot static test by maintenance.

Bjames777

I got my birds IFR check done on July 21st. During this flight from NC to NJ on July 30th, at 3000ft, 21-21.5map at 2400 rpm, max gross, put the 8.50’s on for the trip, standard original Hartzell prop, forgot the temps at 3000 but it was hot and very humid, smooth as glass until after crossing Delaware Bay, my speed was around 120 IAS +/- 3 for most of the trip. In this configuration, the plane has always flown at these speeds in cruise.

Attachments

• B739D0ED-0ACA-403A-BEB1-A65E45104170.jpeg
    B739D0ED-0ACA-403A-BEB1-A65E45104170.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 23

johnaz

I got my birds IFR check done on July 21st. During this flight from NC to NJ on July 30th, at 3000ft, 21-21.5map at 2400 rpm, max gross, put the 8.50’s on for the trip, standard original Hartzell prop, forgot the temps at 3000 but it was hot and very humid, smooth as glass until after crossing Delaware Bay, my speed was around 120 IAS +/- 3 for most of the trip. In this configuration, the plane has always flown at these speeds in cruise.
If you have an MT or Hartzell Trailblazer two blade you should try about 2200 rpm range and 24" MP, much better economy and speed very good. Less wear on engine at those rpms too, smoother/quieter.
If metal prop not as good.
John

dogday

Dave, looks like the one on my Husky and also looks like the one pictured in belloypilot's post but without the tape and o'ring on it.

johnaz

Dave, looks like the one on my Husky and also looks like the one pictured in belloypilot's post but without the tape and o'ring on it.
Like mine too, but I did the o ring and tape. Indicated now seems to be more accurate with GPS speeds when winds factored in.
John

Flying Dave

Ok. Maybe I’m seeing things. Lol. I thought I had seen pictures on here of some that were smooth with no lip at all.

bumper

Ok. Maybe I’m seeing things. Lol. I thought I had seen pictures on here of some that were smooth with no lip at all.

Dave,

Nope, the one pictured is the "standard", unheated, pitot tube. That ridge or lip is intended to decrease pressure at the static openings located just aft of the lip. It's not enough! One without that lip would work well if the tube was 8 feet long. :)

Bjames777

If you have an MT or Hartzell Trailblazer two blade you should try about 2200 rpm range and 24" MP, much better economy and speed very good. Less wear on engine at those rpms too, smoother/quieter.
If metal prop not as good.
John
Nopers……….just an old but fairly recently overhaul original Hartzell aluminum prop.