SGS kit

Soren Ahlund

Hi!
I am trying to get in contact with the RF-Ski for one SGS kit , mail and home page do not seems to be working .
Is there any new email?
Regards
Soren

Snowbirdxx

Since adding the SGS kit 16 Years ago as an approved option for the Husky gear it gets constantly monitored. As the SGS blocs are under constant pressure of the bungees , whether the plane flies or not these rubber blocks are constantly squeezed together. Only during the fractions of a second during a hard landing the blocks get a relief, before getting squeezed again.

This constant pressure leads to a detrimental set of the blocks. The SGS loses 50% of its function in 3-4 years due to that set.

The new Super SGS has different blocks which will last in nowadays performance of the regular SGS at least 6 if not 9 years, its hard to tell.

The outer blocks are even larger, and if the plane sits on the ground, the gear doors are open by 1/10 of an inch. In flight the doors close since the bungees are not counteracted by the weight of the plane. CO measurement showed 0 ppm. The counteracting force against the Bungees is 2,6 the value of the standard blocks. That makes the springfunction of the landing gear extremely progressive.

The performance of the Super SGS is awesome, the Husky really is turned a forgiving airplane. Even in rough terrain, it does barely jump any more. When Taxiing through rough terrain, the airplane sits kind of spongy on the gear, while the gear deflects and no shocks are getting transferred to the airframe.

As soon a the new SUPERSGS are ready, it will be tested on the Shock gear as well.

Due to Covid19 the German mail is charging ridiculous prices for anything larger than a letter. I am looking for someone who is setup to receive the SGS and ship it to Husky owners in the US.

Last edited:

johnaz

Thomas,
I could probably ship some of them out if you need someone in AZ to ship out your new sets.
Let me know what you think. Assume they could just be sent in USPS flat rate box. That way you could know exact costs for shipping in US.
I will need a set for shock gear Husky. Never had one before, getting it later this week.
John

Snowbirdxx

I had a stock A-1 here yesterday to fit the SUPER Sgs. It still had the totally useless saftey cables around the gear. These cables do nothing but damage on a hard landing. I have seen them break and breaking of structural members, but I never saw the bungees fail. Anyway, it was a bit tricky to slide the new Super SGS elements in place. The gear needed to be fully deflected till the safety cables did not allow further gear deflection. Then the Super SGS blocks went in fine. I ll be shipping the first ones soon to Kurt to see how they fit on the shock gear..

johnaz

New Husky to me, 2018 with factory extended gear. Just installed 31's and baby bushwheel. With the factory extended gear, 4" taller and 2" forward it stands taller than my Husky in Alaska with 35's at spinner with 3" extended cub gear.
This Husky is very fast, about 125mph+ at 2350 squared, no wind ground speed, 4000'. Indicated reads very slow, about 107mph. Open static port and jumps 10mph.
Had bellypod with it, took that off and gained about 4mph.
Like the new trim tab, no stick forces, especially no rudder forces either, springs feel off.
John

johnaz

Couple of 'speed' mods, gap seals on the rudder and elevators, Thomas gas cap covers, good for 5mph. Per all Thomas mods!!!
John

johnaz

Thanks Thomas, I got mine today, it will be installed November 5th.

Kurt
Thomas, got mine today, installed them on the extended shock gear. Will test them out soon. Letting it sit a bit until the SGS bushings settle into place. Initially stand proud, but compacting now.
The newer Husky's have the wire retainers both on the inside, not one on the outside, so easy to get at them. Simple swap.
John

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

As requested by Gust K below is a pic of the standard SGS and SUPER SGS blocks. The inner blocks of Super SGS are 5mm higher and 10 Shore softer, the Outer blocks are 10mm higher diameter increase 5mm and 10 shore softer.

On recent delivered SGS kits, installed or not, I am offering the outer blocks as a replacement kit at material cost ( 44 $ ). The old set can easily be removed, upgraded and replaced.

I ll wait about 2 weeks till I get the numbers, then I ll have them vulcanized and shipped to a distribution point in the US.

Left is the SUPER SGS on the right the standard.
superSGS compared.jpg

Last edited:

johnaz

Put the new Super SGS kit on my Husky yesterday, flew it today. Fits well on 2018 factory extended gear. The wires holding the phenolic stock blocks were inboard on mine, not covered by the bungees, so easy removal and install.
No more clunking when taxi/landing, soft and quiet.
My bumpers took a bit of sitting to compress, but still doors open slightly. Think they will compress more once the settle in so doors closed when sitting on ground.
Another great mod by Thomas, improved version. Always something better for the Husky, Thomas never sleeps!!!

Gust Kalatzes

As requested by Gust K below is a pic of the standard SGS and SUPER SGS blocks. The inner blocks of Super SGS are 5mm higher and 10 Shore softer, the Outer blocks are 10mm higher diameter increase 5mm and 10 shore softer.

On recent delivered SGS kits, installed or not, I am offering the outer blocks as a replacement kit at material cost ( 44 $ ). The old set can easily be removed, upgraded and replaced.

I ll wait about 2 weeks till I get the numbers, then I ll have them vulcanized and shipped to a distribution point in the US.
View attachment 4665

Thanks Thomas! I would like a set of the outer blocks for sure. I am working on getting a total from others who may want them also and will let you know.

Gust

Snowbirdxx

Put the new Super SGS kit on my Husky yesterday, flew it today. Fits well on 2018 factory extended gear. The wires holding the phenolic stock blocks were inboard on mine, not covered by the bungees, so easy removal and install.
No more clunking when taxi/landing, soft and quiet.
My bumpers took a bit of sitting to compress, but still doors open slightly. Think they will compress more once the settle in so doors closed when sitting on ground.
Another great mod by Thomas, improved version. Always something better for the Husky, Thomas never sleeps!!!

Thanks for the Pirep / Install report John. The doors will be slighty open on the ground, but flying without the planes weight, they will be closed.

johnaz

Thanks for the Pirep / Install report John. The doors will be slighty open on the ground, but flying without the planes weight, they will be closed.
Thomas, do I assume correctly that SGS stands for Soft Gear Stops? If so they do the job on my extended shock gear.
John