SGS kit

Thomas - I got my SGS set from you probably 14 years ago, and they seem to still be doing fine, but maybe I just haven't noticed as they degraded. How much would a new set cost to have sent to me here in NC, USA?

trapper

Thomas - I got my SGS set from you probably 14 years ago, and they seem to still be doing fine, but maybe I just haven't noticed as they degraded. How much would a new set cost to have sent to me here in NC, USA?
Contact Holton he has them

trapper

I can guarantee you they will be shot. Mine were same vintage they were toast I think 5 years or so is max

David

I installed the new Super SSGs on my Husky this spring. The old SSGs were only 3 years old, but the new Super SSGs are light years better.
David

Redsaviation

First I have to thenk Thomas and Holton for working with me on acquiring and installing the SGS kit. We have been snowed under but was finally able to go try it out today. It is very icy at both airports near me so a bit of a mess.
Wow what a difference, nice ride on the ground and the bounce is almost non existent. I am also playing with speeds and recommendations from others. Thanks to all for sharing your experience.
I do have questions though.
What's with the camber, now I have even more and my door are open about an inch or so on the inboard side?
Thanks 20230201_155233.jpg

Kent Wien

Get used to the sag. I’ve been through 3 sets of bungees in 3 years. The last step will be to go to the 1380s that is called for in the A-1B.

I’m not too worried though as the doors are fully closed inflight. I also have the super SGS kit.

Redsaviation

Thanks for the info guys.
I am just a bit on the OCD side so if I have a potential problem I like to take care of it before it becomes a problem.
The install notes seem to indicate that the doors would not be open that far, not that they are open much more than they were and my CFI asked me about the sag but he is not an avid Husky guy.
The bungees are original as far as I can tell and its a 2013. It only has 280hrs on it.
My only concern was a possible tracking issue on asphalt or concrete due to the camber, not saying I have this. Hell I am just getting better at getting it on the ground without scaring myself. I live on a grass(ice right now) strip and don't plan to be on many hard surfaces. I do have to go get fuel here and there though. I can land in the grass in the center there but not with feet of snow.

Snowbirdxx

Your geardoors will close, once the weight of the plane is not pushing them open. To check tracking issue, push the plane backwards on concrete, if the doors close, your wheels are not tracking right.

Ak Kurt

Your geardoors will close, once the weight of the plane is not pushing them open. To check tracking issue, push the plane backwards on concrete, if the doors close, your wheels are not tracking right.
In other words, as you push the airplane backwards the doors will open, as you push it forward the doors will close (maybe, depending on bungee strength). When in flight the doors will be closed. You are good, don’t worry about it.

Kurt

TheFlyingMouse

Note for those thinking about going stiffer to the A-1B bungees (straight 1380s) above:

We have these on our 2005 and they don’t seem to have been changed since gear repair in 2010 (~500 hrs). They are quite stiff on landing without SGS. They also try to pull the gear doors up into the fuselage while sitting in the hangar, and don’t flex much at all if you pull down on a wing.

Having SGS installed this week and will report back how that changes things if no one beats me to it.

Last edited: