SGS kit

Snowbirdxx

John, exactly right. SGS is Soft Gear Stop. But they do not only slow down the rebound, they also counteract the bungees, making the spring function of the gear more progessive.

NMP Valve ... the NMP is No More Pee

Kevin Elpers

As requested by Gust K below is a pic of the standard SGS and SUPER SGS blocks. The inner blocks of Super SGS are 5mm higher and 10 Shore softer, the Outer blocks are 10mm higher diameter increase 5mm and 10 shore softer.

On recent delivered SGS kits, installed or not, I am offering the outer blocks as a replacement kit at material cost ( 44 $ ). The old set can easily be removed, upgraded and replaced.

I ll wait about 2 weeks till I get the numbers, then I ll have them vulcanized and shipped to a distribution point in the US.
View attachment 4665
Which ones in the picture are the SUPER? Left or right. You just sent me a set and they look like the ones on the right. Thanks.

trapper

Waiting on a set from Holton then I can change my 2003 bungees! They are the original set and seem fine on landings but its past time.

Ak Kurt

Pilot report....

I have a 2012 Shock Gear airplane and changed my bungees out even though they were still in very good shape, I just thought 8 years and 700 hours was enough. Change over went well, I used 2 1380’s and one 1280HD on each side, my brother did the same on his Shock Gear airplane, we are both happy with this combination.

During the bungee changed I installed the latest SGS kit. Being a Shock Gear airplane I thought the SGS may not be necessary since the Shock Gear is a big improvement over the standard gear. I decided to give it a try, I’m glad, there is a noticeable improvement! The Shock Gear is pretty darn good but with the SGS it’s fantastic, well worth the time effort and few hundred bucks. Thank you Thomas for taking care of us!

Kurt

trapper

Holton is sending me a new set. Looks like its going to be nice to use my new lift and do the bungees at the same time. Ill see what they link like after 17 years of use and over 1000 landings on all kinds of places. I need to pay Thomas and will see if the info is on the site?

Gust Kalatzes

Holton do you have just the two $44 bumpers that replace the conical for those of us that have new SGS but the conical version?

Gust

Last edited:

Flying Dave

Holton is sending me a new set. Looks like its going to be nice to use my new lift and do the bungees at the same time. Ill see what they link like after 17 years of use and over 1000 landings on all kinds of places. I need to pay Thomas and will see if the info is on the site?
What sort of lift?? Pics??

tbienz

The lift works very well. You need lifting rings on Husky. Spreader can be easily made with metal and chain. I made mine from an old piece of T-post, chain, and some hooks. Any brand of hoist works. I use the pulley to increase lifting capacity. I cut the control cable and power cord and lengthened both to reach the along the roof line and down the wall so it’s out of the way. Run a small paracord string from the stop-bale down to ground so when cable rubs on bale and auto-stops winch you can pull down bale and keep lifting. 92D0C9FB-D693-48FD-A78E-CAEB5A9A481E.jpeg

tbienz

I would add two more photos, including detail on spreader but the forum won’t allow it.