SGS kit

Ksmith

I have the same set up in my hanger Thomas. Nicely done. However in other hangers with my friend Gust and a host of others drinking beer, backed up pick up truck under the wing hooked up to the tiedown and with a ratchet strap pulled the wing down far enough to lift the wheel off the other side.

if you bring the right kind of anchor and a ratchet strap you can do the same thing to change a flat in the field.

tbienz

Yes, for SGS, pulling down to compress gear works well. I use mine mostly to go from 31’s/BBW to 850’s/skis & tailski. Sometimes also for cleaning bottom of fuselage.

jliltd

I put a mechanical high-lift bumper jack on the hangar floor between the two MLG tire sidewalls and jacked them apart. I put 2x4's along the inboard side walls of the tires to distribute the jacking pressure. I had Goodyear 26's on the bird at the time I installed the original SGS but have since gone to ABI 31's. I had no reservation jacking on the Goodyear 26's but the ABI 31's are very expensive and softer rubber. Maybe dollies or grease plates under the tire contact patch would allow the lateral jacking motion to spread the gear without scrubbing the rubber off. I will order a set of Supers.

I’ve gotten on and off the ground five times now with the new gear and the SGS kit. I used to call those take offs and landings. The SGS kit makes it so crazy smooth, I think I will call them take offs and alightments.
I ended up going with 1 1380CW and 2 1280HDs on each side with the new Sea Planes North extended gear. As near as I can tell it’s a perfect combination for me. Super happy. Thanks Thomas!

bumper

I put a mechanical high-lift bumper jack on the hangar floor between the two MLG tire sidewalls and jacked them apart. I put 2x4's along the inboard side walls of the tires to distribute the jacking pressure. I had Goodyear 26's on the bird at the time I installed the original SGS but have since gone to ABI 31's. I had no reservation jacking on the Goodyear 26's but the ABI 31's are very expensive and softer rubber. Maybe dollies or grease plates under the tire contact patch would allow the lateral jacking motion to spread the gear without scrubbing the rubber off. I will order a set of Supers.

Put a bit of water in a couple of trash bags - just enough to get them wet inside. Put the trash bags flat on the hangar floor and roll the mains onto them. Then spread the wheels apart, the trash bag plastic film will slide against each other slicker than snake snot on a flat rock.

jliltd

Put a bit of water in a couple of trash bags - just enough to get them wet inside. Put the trash bags flat on the hangar floor and roll the mains onto them. Then spread the wheels apart, the trash bag plastic film will slide against each other slicker than snake snot on a flat rock.
Fantastic Idea. We had used greased plates like they use in alignment shops the first time. Speaking of, here is a picture of the jacking set up when we put in the legacy SGS kit in 2016. This photo was during the set up and the greased plates are not under the tires yet. This was also back when the aircraft had 26" Goodyears prior to installing the current 31" ABI tires. The jack was a old bumper jack of the type that came as standard equipment in domestic cars in the 60's and 70's. We have it as part of a Comanche bungee tool set. We added the square tube extension to meet the length required.

SGS.jpg

bumper

Looks good.

Just thinking, adding a bit of Dawn or other dishwashing detergent to the water, to act as a surfactant, will add to the "slippery" of the plastic bags.

Doug Collins

Since adding the SGS kit 16 Years ago as an approved option for the Husky gear it gets constantly monitored. As the SGS blocs are under constant pressure of the bungees , whether the plane flies or not these rubber blocks are constantly squeezed together. Only during the fractions of a second during a hard landing the blocks get a relief, before getting squeezed again.

This constant pressure leads to a detrimental set of the blocks. The SGS loses 50% of its function in 3-4 years due to that set.

The new Super SGS has different blocks which will last in nowadays performance of the regular SGS at least 6 if not 9 years, its hard to tell.

The outer blocks are even larger, and if the plane sits on the ground, the gear doors are open by 1/10 of an inch. In flight the doors close since the bungees are not counteracted by the weight of the plane. CO measurement showed 0 ppm. The counteracting force against the Bungees is 2,6 the value of the standard blocks. That makes the springfunction of the landing gear extremely progressive.

The performance of the Super SGS is awesome, the Husky really is turned a forgiving airplane. Even in rough terrain, it does barely jump any more. When Taxiing through rough terrain, the airplane sits kind of spongy on the gear, while the gear deflects and no shocks are getting transferred to the airframe.

As soon a the new SUPERSGS are ready, it will be tested on the Shock gear as well.

Due to Covid19 the German mail is charging ridiculous prices for anything larger than a letter. I am looking for someone who is setup to receive the SGS and ship it to Husky owners in the US.
Hi Ski , I have an A-1 and would like to buy a pair of the Super SGS if possible ? Doug Collins

Snowbirdxx

Please contact Holton Hancock Form Hancock aviation in Baton rouge, He Stocks SGS Kits to Safe in expensive shipping Form Germany.

Snowbirdxx

Tomorrow a fresh shipment of Super SGS blocks will arrive from the vulcanisation plant. I ll ship new SUPER SGS kits after assembly to Holton by beginning of next week, so they soon will be available again.

Greetings TomD

Tommy2

are the upgrade kits still available? I finally finished rebuilding my Husky after almost five years. I bought a SGS kit and never installed it , so May as well upgrade it . I have about four hours on it since rebuilt and enjoy it greatly. I have a little heavy right wing so will trim it this week, other than that like new. The engine didn’t have eve a drop of oil on my rebuild. It lands like a baby but does have a tendency to skip along a couple times about 3-4” off the ground but very straight forward airplane. I think the biggest thing for me is keeping my big feet off the brakes,lol. It’s been fun bring it back to life, would have been much faster but I had short periods of time to work on it.

Snowbirdxx

Tommy,

I don´t think that Holton has upgrade kits left. I ll add a set next time I ship stuff to the US. Send me your shipping address asap. Thanks

Oryx

are the upgrade kits still available? I finally finished rebuilding my Husky after almost five years. I bought a SGS kit and never installed it , so May as well upgrade it . I have about four hours on it since rebuilt and enjoy it greatly. I have a little heavy right wing so will trim it this week, other than that like new. The engine didn’t have eve a drop of oil on my rebuild. It lands like a baby but does have a tendency to skip along a couple times about 3-4” off the ground but very straight forward airplane. I think the biggest thing for me is keeping my big feet off the brakes,lol. It’s been fun bring it back to life, would have been much faster but I had short periods of time to work on it.
Good to hear your project is done!
what year is your Husky?
It would be cool to see some before and after photos.

Snowbirdxx

If you have problems with the brakes, adjust the brake pedals flatter. if that does not help, install some heel pans and sou will sit more comfortable and your feet have more space.

Attachments

• Handy 036.jpg
    Handy 036.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Kneeroom&tips 001.JPG
    Kneeroom&tips 001.JPG
    884.5 KB · Views: 48

redhotwindsock

Hello,

Could anybody tell me which side of a Super SGS unit should go inside (=to the center of the fuselage)? Its installation instructions says bigger and taller bumpers should go outside. But since the gap between the fuselage and the landing gear gets narrower towards outside, I feel I should put the bigger ones toward inside. Am I wrong?

SJ